Options

How shall I juggle this?

bababooey1bababooey1 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I got an offer for a sys admin position which is totally awesome but a few caveats:
They low-balled me and I still have to negotiate salary
They want an answer by Monday the 19th
I have a second round interview tomorrow at a different company for a sys admin job, which is looking pretty good.
I guess my question is- how do I delay the first job, that wants an answer Monday, and speed up the company on Friday without sounding and looking like a tool?

Comments

• Options
    CiscoKiddCiscoKidd Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was in a similar situation like this about 2 months ago. I had two companies I was interviewing for but one was moving slower than the other. Company A actually offered me the job so i accepted. Company B finally brought me in for a face to face interview. My plan was to use Company A's offer as leverage since I really wanted to work for Company B. After my interview with Company B, they called to make me an offer before I even got home from the interview. I decided to just call Company A and rescind my offer.

I wouldn't recommend trying to delay a company as you they may decide to not go with you. I would just contact the other company and explain you are very interested in working for them however you have another offer on the table and want to know what their time table is and if you are still being considered. Maybe call them on Monday since your interview is tomorrow and explain that to them. It isn't unethical, in my opinion, to rescind an offer once you already accepted it. In my case, I felt Company B was a better fit for me as it was a much closer commute and paying a little bit more.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would negotiate salary with company a first and get that all squared away. Then accept the offer with a start date late enough that you can still interview and get an offer from company b. Like ciscokidd said you can use that as a starting point for company b if its high enough and then just accept company b's offer. Then let company a know its a no go. Not like it will hurt you to turn down the offer after you accepted. They will just go with the next person in line or offer you more.
  • Options
    Thank you for your responses. Turns out this mornings interview turned into an offer. It's a better offer and better company so it all worked out. Can't believe it actually.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Glad everything worked out for you. Good luck on the new job!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Glad to hear. Congrats.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Congrats! What is the new position you've accepted? ;)
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bababooey1 wrote: »
    Thank you for your responses. Turns out this mornings interview turned into an offer. It's a better offer and better company so it all worked out. Can't believe it actually.

Congrats man! Firm believer that, "In every adversity, there lies a seed to an equal or greater benefit".

This has proved true in your situation. That's AWESOME man!!!!
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congratulations man! Are u throwing a party this weekend? lol.
  • Options
    It's not in writing yet but... it looks like after ten years of desktop support I finally landed a "Systems Administrator" job. It's going to be a combo of desktop/server/network support. They are actually enthusiastic to teach and encourage professional growth, which is NOT what I am used to.

I think the certs went a long way with their decision so it looks like they paid off. Everyone- keep hitting the books!

Thanks to everyone on this site too. There is a lot of good advice and encouragement here. Whenever I don't feel like studying or applying for jobs or if I fail at an interview, I come here and get psyched up.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661

Everyone- keep hitting the books!
    What if they hit me back?

Thanks to everyone on this site too. There is a lot of good advice and encouragement here. Whenever I don't feel like studying or applying for jobs or if I fail at an interview, I come here and get psyched up.

You're welcome. ;)