Options

Win XP Quicker way to deploy updates?

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys simple question really working on a assortment of different computer hardware need a faster way to install Windows XP Updates, is there a way of doing this? i.e slipstreaming or creating a master image with them all in there has to be a faster way cheers :)
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    whats your current way?
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You can go two things to speed up your update-process. If you're concerned about machines you install fresh, you could always capture a master image with something like ImageX and use that for your new installs. You'd have to refresh the image every few months, or when major updates came around. Setting up a deployment server to work with the images isn't a bad idea, but that's a whole other beast to tackle.

As for existing machines, you could always look into using WSUS, which will download and store the updates for the current versions of Windows, Office, etc. you're running and deploy them across the network from a local server. It cuts down on bandwidth-use because every single machine doesn't have to hit Windows Update to get their updates, and it'll be faster to push those updates over the local network.

Other than that, if you're just using an older copy of XP, you could just slipstream SP3 into the image and re-burn it. As demonfurbie said, without knowing what method you're using now, it's tough to come up with anything else for you to try.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.