Options

Non-compete and Confidentially Agreement

bababooey1bababooey1 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone ever sign one of these when starting a new job? Is this normal?

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bababooey1 wrote: »
    Anyone ever sign one of these when starting a new job? Is this normal?

They are very typical for employers to require for employment and will vary depending on the laws in your area (or the area having jurisdiction of the non compete). I would recommend having it reviewed by an attorney in your area as it may save you from becoming 'unemployable' if you try to leave. The reason this may be an issue is many employers will ask you if you currently have one and if you answer "yes" then they may eliminate you from consideration becasue they could find them in the middle of a lawsuit after hiring you.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Thanks dtlokee. Would it only come into play if I was trying to get into a similar industry? For instance, I wouldn't hold me back if I went from a shared service provider to a toy company? Typically.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    It all depends on the verbiage. Make sure you read and ask questions if you have any doubts. Your scenario is highly unlikely though.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I give a huge +1 to dtlokee. Make sure you understand what you are signing before you sign, the impact of the agreement, and the limitations expressed within.

I've asked the question during interviews, "what type of NDA or non-compete would be required as part of the job," and made sure to consider this as part of process of salary negotiation.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I signed one just the other day for the managed services company I'll be starting at on Jan 2nd. Seemed pretty reasonable had things in it like: I won't try to steal their customers for a certain amount of time, or I won't go to work for a customer within a certain amount of time causing them to lose a contract, and I won't steal proprietary info...

I probably should have had my attorney friend look at it but it seemed reasonable for the type of work.
  • Options
    This is for a managed services company also so it's probably the same deal.
    Congrats on the new job BTW.