How Much Do You Sleep?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Not going to call it a New Year's Resolution, but one of my goals is to start sleeping less. With night work I actually sleep less then I normally would during the week (about 6 hours, sometimes 7), but on the weekend....12 hours or more a night. It got me thinking, how many hours of sleep do you guys get? Has anyone attempted to change their pattern and get less sleep?
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Are you kidding? Less sleep. You will regret that. I wish I could get in 6 to 7 hours. I am a zombie at work half the time cause I dont get enough. Last night I was up past 2 a.m. wishing I could just fall asleep. This happens every night and I wish it would stop. I just lay in bed no tv on lights off just waiting for the time when my brain will shut off and I can finally sleep. For me its I want to get 12 hours of sleep every night but I can't.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    if im lucky 4 hours
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    6-7 hours. On the weekend, 8-9. Any less and like kriscamaro said, I'd be a zombie too (if I'm not one already).

Sleep's necessary to keep you functioning, my brain just goes into partial shutdown mode if I havent slept enough for a couple of days. And I dont drink any caffeine, it just makes it worse.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also, if you are getting 12 hours of sleep on the weekend there is a reason for that. You won't naturally sleep that long unless you are exhausted. I strongly discourage you from doing this.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Between 5-6, 7-8 if i'm lucky. Would kill for 7-8 normally but usually my mind is to wired to actually sleep, doesn't help matters that my wife has sleep issues as well.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    8-8.5 usually on a weekday. I too would like to be able to function on less sleep. If I only get 6-7 hours on a week night I cannot focus at work, but if I get 5-6 on a weekend I don't feel like I'm tired at all.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    On weeknights 5.5-6.5, and I'd like to get closer to 7-7.5. I sleep 6-10 hours on the weekend, depending on how the week goes. I would like to get it consistent to within the hour seven days a week.

I used to get less sleep than this, and it did not work well. I don't recommend it. You should really shoot for 7 hours as a minimum.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I sleep 1030/11PM to 630/7AM Sunday through Saturday. icon_thumright.gif
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Somewhere in the 5 to 8 hour range. Having 3 kids means no sleeping in on the weekends ever. They're up by 6 AM no matter what day it is. Worse in the summer as they wake up as soon as they realize the sun is up, and loudly proclaim "It's not dark anymore!". Funny it doesn't work the opposite way... oh look kids, it's 5 PM and dark out already, go to bed!
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I get about 6.5-7.5 hours a night most nights. I'll workout after dinner, and by 10 my body is relaxed enough that its time to hit the hay. No tv in the bedroom, so I might read for a little bit of listen to music.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I get about 6.5-7.5 hours a night most nights. I'll workout after dinner, and by 10 my body is relaxed enough that its time to hit the hay. No tv in the bedroom, so I might read for a little bit of listen to music.

I don't get people who need TV/books/music to fall asleep. When I get in bed, it's because I am ready to sleep. Unfortunately that pretty much never happens. Doesn't matter how late we go to bed, my wife thinks she has to talk for at least 30 minutes, keeping me awake. Like last night, I stayed up to about 12:30 AM playing a game. I went to bed ready to just fall asleep, and she kept me up until 1:30 AM talking, not about anything important either.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Also in the 6-7 hr range. I actually feel sick to my stomach on the rare occasions I sleep 9-10 hours.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    not enough...

i need 7 to 8 hours.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    I get 8 hours every night. It would be nice to need less sleep so I can get more done at night.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    oh look kids, it's 5 PM and dark out already, go to bed!
    This, by far is the best line ever! I'm going to use this when I have kids.

I usually try to go to bed around 11:00pm and I'm up again at 7:00am. Lately this hasn't happened - since my fiancee has been busy with school and various tasks around the house we're not going to bed until 12:00 - 1:00am. Now she's out of school for the holidays she gets to sleep in, but bed time still stays the same (1am) I hate this. And if I mention anything, she gets very angry. I have no energy to study or anything once I'm home.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Trifidw wrote: »
    I get 8 hours every night. It would be nice to need less sleep so I can get more done at night.

Exactly the same here. If I could live on 6 hours of sleep during the week then I'd have at least 10 more hours a week for whatever I want to do...
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    It depends, I go to bed whenever I feel tired so it ranges from 8pm on some days to 11pm on others and the alarm goes off at 5:30am during weekdays. Typically I get 7-8 hours though.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    6-7 hours but I am working on going to bed earlier because while I might be in bed 6-7 hours I was not sleeping 6-7 hours. I need to work on some kind of sleep preparation ritual where I do all my "thinking" before bed so I don't go to bed "thinking" about stuff which eats up 30 minutes easily.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your body will adapt to less sleep, but your body will not function optimally unless you get the appropriate amount of sleep. You will not be as sharp, you will physically not feel as well, you will not present yourself as well as you would with proper sleep, all else held constant.

I do not get enough sleep a lot of the time. I probably average about 6 hours during the week and 7-8 on the weekend.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    7-8 hours on the weekdays. 8-12 hours on the weekends. Sometimes random 4-5 hour days on the weekdays (like today... 5 hours).

I do want to cut out a bit of sleep on the weekends. I need to live on the west coast because my natural bed time is 2am-11am EST. West coast I could have a normal sleeping schedule. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not nearly enough...
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Also in the 6-7 hr range. I actually feel sick to my stomach on the rare occasions I sleep 9-10 hours.

For me it is 5-7 hours, and I wake up few minutes before the alarm then feel tired for the whole day,
    and if I sleep for more than 7 hours on weekends I get a headache that bugs me through the weekend.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    as much or as little as i choose. I have somewhat mastered my internal clock so i can run off of 4-6 hrs of rest.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I have issues staying asleep the entire night so I take melatonin its a natural sleep aid. It also gives you wicked vivid dreams
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    keenon wrote: »
    as much or as little as i choose. I have somewhat mastered my internal clock so i can run off of 4-6 hrs of rest.

Teach me? I feel I'm wasting so much time sleeping 8-9 hours a night when I could be doing other productive things.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    you should always sleep a consistence amount, weekdays and weekends. Some people can survive on 3-4 a night, others need 8 or 9. with mst people requiring around 7.

But sleeping 4 hours during the week and 9+ at the weekend means you body will never get in to a rythm, and you will never preform at your best.

you need to remember that some one rested and ontop form will proform at not 5 or 10% better than when they are tired but maybe 5 - 10X as well. So a person who gives them selves the right amount of sleep, although my lose out to some one who insistes on getting by on 3-4 hours a night. will actuly out preform them in the volume and quility of workj they get though in a 24hr period.

I would not try to cut down on sleep at first, but first concentrat on finding what your body really needs, get in to a consistent rythm that your body can function long term on.

Once you are going to bed the same time each night, settling down and waking around the same time each day, feeling fresh and with out he need for an alarm. Then start thinking about if you want to cut down or not.

Out of intrests I sleep from about 1am till 7am so on average 6 hours sleep a night. 7 days a week for the last 15 odd years.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    Usually 6, sometimes 7. In the weekends, it tends to be 7 hours too, max. I'm another person who really should be sleeping more, but finds sleep to be a big waste of time.

I know people who've been sleeping 4-5 hours at most, for as long as they can remember, and they seem to be functioning fine. Whether that's healthy or not, I do not know, but the fact remains that these individuals have 2-3 hours more per day at their disposal compared to the average person. That's a lot of hours over a lifetime!
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    6 hours
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    7hrs. I sleep 30mins or an hour on the afternoons (weekend) since my eyes are hurting from labbing.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    4 to 6 hours tops.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???