Options

Ways to Relax

cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
In my experience I always need to find a way to relax after work otherwise I really risk burnout. How do you guys decompress after a long day/week of work? I go to the gym every day after work (alternating cardio/lifting days) and find this almost always does the trick. For those especially tough days I will supplement the gym with glass of scotch afterwards.

Comments

• Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Beer... I dont normally relax (anxiety...) so I'll hit burn out and then take a few days off of everything and come back.
  • Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    Martial arts will do it. Otherwise, I like to wind down with a novel, a pair of noise-cancelling earphones and some good music. A hot shower beforehand usually helps to relax the tension in the muscles. I used to think that movies and video games were good ways to relax, but really, how is stopping an alien invasion, waging wars with orcs or mowing down hordes of zombies in any way relaxing? Maybe I'm just getting old icon_wink.gif
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Gym is a great way to relax...a good run will clear your head. Some times I pull start the ol desktop and play a little WoW or Counter strike...then I feel guilty for not studying and turn it off
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I go shoot my guns. Nothing like unloading a 30rd mag of 5.56 at something.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    +1 on guns. If I can't go to the range I just dry practice at home and clean/fondle them. When the weather permits I do exhaustive detailing on my cars.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I went through a nice long period of lots of exercise and playing at least one game of adult league or pick up soccer a week. This was such good stress relief and made it so easy to relax and wind down at the end of the day. That was until a little over a year ago when my recurring knee injury got to be too much. It frustrates me because my diet has also gotten worse and I've gained weight. These days to relax I read a good novel, or have some beers with friends, watch some sports and/or cook out.

This all kind of ties in with a couple other threads about sleeping habits and new years resolutions. I'm about to change jobs and this should have a positive effect on my diet due to the better selection of healthy eating choices in the new area and also the extra time I have from the much shorter commute. I keep telling myself I'm going to start exercising again with some no/low impact stuff. I'm really going to work at finding the right balance of school, work, study, sleep and play. Just all around healthier living. Makes those relaxing times that much more enjoyable.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Drag racing, but it's winter, and besides my transmission has been broken and I don't have the extra money for a new one... so not doing much of that now, lol.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i wish i knew, most days im to tired to even try to relax
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    alone time with a girl...
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I run 4-5 times a week and play soccer on the weekends. I feel it helps me relax and not get too stressed.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    Gym is a great way to relax...a good run will clear your head. Some times I pull start the ol desktop and play a little WoW or Counter strike...then I feel guilty for not studying and turn it off

Indeed. Not so much WoW as I quit playing that years ago but CS:S is still a vice but a hell of a way to unwind if you don't nerdrage at getting killed all the time.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    - bicycle
    - run
    - lift weights
    - anime/manga
    - videogames
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Nothing like unloading the Glock or S&W on some targets to get me relaxed. Or I'll practice drawing from a holster in different positions and dry firing. It's not as dirty as it may sound.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I have a few Drum machines. I use to do all my MUsic PC based, but when I'm done for the day the last thing I want to see is a computer or the internet. Banging on the pads make the day feel better.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    Drag racing, but it's winter, and besides my transmission has been broken and I don't have the extra money for a new one... so not doing much of that now, lol.

What car are you using to race? I have the same problem. The track is closed till April.
  • Options
    What car are you using to race? I have the same problem. The track is closed till April.

You'll probably laugh when I tell you... a 2004 Chrysler Sebring Sedan. ;)

Now what usually makes people stop laughing... look at Turbo Sebring Sedan | 12.8 @ 106mph, that's my car. ;) There's some YouTube videos of it in the "Galleries" section. Not bad for a 4 door "Family car" eh? ;)

I think all the tracks around here are closed until April too. I'd be happy just to have the transmission fixed before the tracks re-open.
  • Options
    RappellerRappeller Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    +1 on guns. If I can't go to the range I just dry practice at home and clean/fondle them. When the weather permits I do exhaustive detailing on my cars.

I agree on the shooting, but I prefer to fondle and be fondled by a girl more
    WGU B.S.IT - Software - Completion Date January, 2015 (Sooner Hopefully)
    Courses Completed - EWB2 CLC1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 WSV1
    Courses Needed - INT1 BOV1 TPV1 QLT1 LAT1 GAC1 HHT1 LET1 ORC1 KET1 IWT1 MGC1 WDV1 KFT1 TWA1 ABV1 ANV1 WPV1 CPW5
    Transferred- BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, IWC1 SSC1, SST1, TSV1
  • Options
    You'll probably laugh when I tell you... a 2004 Chrysler Sebring Sedan. ;)

Now what usually makes people stop laughing... look at Turbo Sebring Sedan | 12.8 @ 106mph, that's my car. ;) There's some YouTube videos of it in the "Galleries" section. Not bad for a 4 door "Family car" eh? ;)

I think all the tracks around here are closed until April too. I'd be happy just to have the transmission fixed before the tracks re-open.

I forgot you had the sebring. It may not be the car of all cars but when you can beat a stock vette with a sebring I would say you have bragging rights. You have the same track time as my bro with his 320 awhp WRX when he had it. He just finished his newer WRX and got it tuned on E85 in Colorado. Made 489 awhp and 440 ft-lbs of awtq. We are going crazy here waiting for the track to open up to run it. He's got it stripped and the tranny is built so we are hoping to hit high 10's with it if he can get the launch right. I sold my WRX and got rid of my 67 Nova awhile back so I have to live vicariously through him right now.
  • Options
    I forgot you had the sebring. It may not be the car of all cars but when you can beat a stock vette with a sebring I would say you have bragging rights. You have the same track time as my bro with his 320 awhp WRX when he had it. He just finished his newer WRX and got it tuned on E85 in Colorado. Made 489 awhp and 440 ft-lbs of awtq. We are going crazy here waiting for the track to open up to run it. He's got it stripped and the tranny is built so we are hoping to hit high 10's with it if he can get the launch right. I sold my WRX and got rid of my 67 Nova awhile back so I have to live vicariously through him right now.

I beat a stock Viper heads up at the local track here, that was fun. I really should be in the low 12's, high 11's with what I have, need to get some things worked out, and stop breaking the transmission. Those WRXs can be a lot of fun, rode in one that had quite a bit of $$$ into it around an autocross course in MT once.

For those into shooting... you need to get one of these: Bleeding Zombie Target Dummies: Essential Apocalypse Preparedness

If I owned a gun, I'd have one of those for practice. ;) One expensive hobby is enough though.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Turbo Sebring Sedan.
    That valve cover looks remarkably similar to a 4G63 engine ;) or from an SRT-4.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    For those into shooting... you need to get one of these: Bleeding Zombie Target Dummies: Essential Apocalypse Preparedness

If I owned a gun, I'd have one of those for practice. ;) One expensive hobby is enough though.

Those targets look pretty sweet compared to my paper plates. Better watch where you set them up...after being on the gun forums for awhile I've come to notice people actually do believe the Zombies are coming.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I go to the gym but don't hit it as hard as I used to. I also play boardgames on the weekends. Playing a game totally analog is a great way to relax without technology.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    That valve cover looks remarkably similar to a 4G63 engine ;) or from an SRT-4.

It is an SRT-4 valve cover. ;)
  • Options
    Oh I wish I had my SRT-4 still.

Right now I have an eagle talon with an upgraded turbo from a diesel cummins truck :) in the mid 9's right now.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options

Right now I have an eagle talon with an upgraded turbo from a diesel cummins truck :) in the mid 9's right now.

What are you reving to cause with that big of a turbo you gotta be waiting for boost till like 6k. Thats the downfall of big power on our little 4bangers.
  • Options
    What are you reving to
    I've had a complete head and block job done on mine, I can rev up to 9k. spooling at 28psi currently, though I have it downtuned to 14psi right now for street driving.

It starts spooling close to 6k, I don't usually spend too much time looking at the gauge since when it spools, you better be holding on.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Walk on the beach or go for a swim (live 200m from Dee Why beach)
    or sit back and watch a movie or go for a walk( not on the beach)
    or go for a bike ride(motorbike)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□

Greetings fellow 4G63T brother. Evo guy here.
  • Options

Big Holset eh? I have a Hahn Racecraft/Mitsubishi Super 20G turbo on my car. Those little DSMs can be pretty impressive if done right, unfortunately too many idiots destroy them too often. There's a kid at my local track with a 1st gen AWD DSM that runs low 10's on street tires and pump gas. Car looks completely stock. No roll bar or cage either, I can't believe the track never kicks him off, then again their tech inspections are a joke.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Relax? What does that mean? icon_lol.gif

This is something I have been meaning to do, and find something(s) to do to relax. Right now I have zero hobbies and it's just been eat, sleep and work for me.
This discussion has been closed.