• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    the dr put me on meds yesterday because i cant relax
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cxzar20 wrote: »
    In my experience I always need to find a way to relax after work otherwise I really risk burnout. How do you guys decompress after a long day/week of work? I go to the gym every day after work (alternating cardio/lifting days) and find this almost always does the trick. For those especially tough days I will supplement the gym with glass of scotch afterwards.

I'm more scotch - GYM rather than your order, but I started trending the other way. I am also eating a lot better now.

BTW what type of scotch do you drink? My regular is Johnny Red, but I like Glen Morangie, Lagavulin and a few others.
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    N2IT wrote: »
    I'm more scotch - GYM rather than your order, but I started trending the other way. I am also eating a lot better now.

BTW what type of scotch do you drink? My regular is Johnny Red, but I like Glen Morangie, Lagavulin and a few others.

Either Johnny Walker Black Label or Macallan Single Malt. Nothing like relaxing in my recliner with a glass of scotch and some dark side of the moon after a tough day at work.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've recently gotten into hiking and fishing. I guess it comes from having done none of those things when I was growing up, despite the best efforts of my father, just wasn't interested in them. I used to spend a lot of time playing video games and messing around on my computer. These days, since I spend 9+ hours a day working on one for a living, it's nice to unplug and get away. Unfortunately way to cold out there for me to do much else aside from school stuff lately. Once it hits spring though i'm headed out east and doing some weekend/vacation time on the AT.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Either Johnny Walker Black Label or Macallan Single Malt. Nothing like relaxing in my recliner with a glass of scotch and some dark side of the moon after a tough day at work.

This made me relaxed just reading it! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

Single Malt Macallan 12 is solid. In fact I like it better than the 15. I guess I am showing my middle class upbringing. :)

Nice choice of music as well. I love Floyd
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Not one mention of motorcycles?! I'm surprised.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    nhpr wrote: »
    Not one mention of motorcycles?! I'm surprised.

One of my most relaxing moments was on my GSX-R. 145mph riding into the sunset next to a perfectly calm river wondering if my body would skip across it if I crashed. It was oddly relaxing for me.
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    One of my most relaxing moments was on my GSX-R. 145mph riding into the sunset next to a perfectly calm river wondering if my body would skip across it if I crashed. It was oddly relaxing for me.

haha reminded me of this http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/attachments/general-supermoto-chat/22532d1245250992-funny-motorcycle-pictures-crash-rossi-2008.jpg
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    dontstop wrote: »

Look at how relaxed he looks for being about .5 seconds away from being severely injured.
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mine was taking rides in my Corvette z06. It was such a beautiful car. I miss it everyday.

Now, relaxation comes every once in awhile with having kids, school, work, etc. I still get to enjoy a video game once in awhile. Right now I'm looking at trying to beat 70-640 so that I can get some time in with my new Fanatec Porsche GT2 Wheel for my 360 and Forza! :)
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Re: motorcycling/donorcycling

It's a lot more relaxing if you don't go 3x the speed limit!
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Books,
    Time with little one and wife,
    Walking the dogs.
    Cycling,
    Rifle shooting.
    Juggling

All depends how I need to relax, the mind or the body?

If i have had a repetitive day at work, a few hours of study can be a wonderful way to wind down. But walking the dogs and the rifle are a wonderful way to clear the minds and calm the body.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Books,
    Time with little one and wife,
    Walking the dogs.
    Cycling,
    Rifle shooting.
    Juggling

All depends how I need to relax, the mind or the body?

If i have had a repetitive day at work, a few hours of study can be a wonderful way to wind down. But walking the dogs and the rifle are a wonderful way to clear the minds and calm the body.

Oh dang. I've been up too long. 37 minutes left of my 12 hour shift, and I'm tired enough that what I misread part of the above. Combined
    Rifle shooting.
    with
    Walking the dogs.
    It wasn't pretty.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    One thing I failed to mention is that, unless I am on call that week, my blackberry gets turned off as soon as I leave work. The exception is if a major migration is happening that night or something. Quality of life increases greatly when you leave your work at the door.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Whenever I've had a long week I usually like to go and ride my mountain bike down some trails. Since I lived in England most of my life it's more common for people to ride a lot, I've noticed.

I hadn't rode my bike in a long time until about 6 months ago. I had a really bad day and had the urge to ride, and man, did it help. I find that it clears my head and makes me feel awesome. It's not just the exercise since I work out regularly.

I also love to go camping and backpacking. I find that packing all my equipment into my bag and walking off in to the forest for a few days - that also feels awesome - no phones, no TV, no annoying people... Bliss! .

Of course, I do all of this with my fiancee who also loves to do everything that I like to do. She doesn't have a bike right now, but she's found one that she likes. Bless her, she hasn't rode a bike since she was 12!

Just curious on what other people do for recreational activities.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Video games, programming, running the track or nature trail, and really soon scuba diving. I would love to go camping again, we always used to go (me and the family) but never seem to anymore as everyones always busy.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
This discussion has been closed.