Options

WGU MS ISA and pen testing

I was planning on getting my BS and MS at WGU then hopefully get into pen testing. I think the BS program (A+, Sec+, CCNA:Sec)will give me a great foundation for what I want to do (plus I'm getting MCITP:EA, CWSP, LPIC-3, and CCNP:Sec on my own time), but I'm starting to think the MS program might not be worth it for me. I would get EC-Councils CEH, CHFI, and Disaster Recovery, as well as GIACs ISO-2700 certs.

Do you guys think it is still a good program for me considering I want to get into pen testing? Or should I just get my BS and start my pen testing track without getting the MS? Thanks for any insight!
IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
(Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
Required:
SBT1 RGT1 RIT1

Comments

• Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The MSISA program at WGU is geared towards giving one a well rounded security background. It is not a degree in pen testing. You would need to find out if this MS degree will help you in your long term plans. Ultimately only you can make that decision.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The DR cert has gone away unless you are grandfathered into the old program. (Check the WGU website for the updated course PDF). You would also get a CCENT to give you a knowledge of the fundamentals of networking.

If you truly want to get into pen testing, then obviously this degree won't hurt. But I wouldn't expect to finish this, or any master's program, and go straight into pentesting without significant work experience built up.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I am still up in the air about the MS ISA. It really depends on which way I am headed after finishing my BS. I am really interested in pen testing as well, but that will probably be quite a ways off in my career. I'm thinking either the MS program or going for a CCIE:Sec. While I think that either one would take me the same amount of time to complete, I think the CCIE would be harder, and most likely more expensive.

Best thing to do is go to Dice.com, find a job you want, and go after the qualifications they are asking for. If it's an MS, go for it.
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    I realize this degree is not geared towards pen testing at all. That is what brought up my original question if it would be a waste if I pursued it or if I could take some value away from it that would help me when I start my pen testing path.

The CEH obvisouly would help, but I'm pretty sure I could get this on my own for a little cheaper. I'm still undecided on it, but I have plently of time before I need to make my final decision. Thanks for the info guys!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    drumrolfedrumrolfe Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The cost for the exam is $500 + $100 application fee. I finished my BSIT in October and had almost three months left in my term. WGU let me accelerate into the MSISA and provided me the learning materials and certification voucher without me having to pay for another term. My first master's term starts in January (next month) and I have already completed one requirement.