Options

Book Recommendation

rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
Hello,

What books would you recommend for the Security+ 301 version of the exam?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Hi rob1234,

I'm a little biased, but I'd recommend this book: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide (ISBN-10: 1463762364). I'm hearing some great feedback on it from people that have used it to take and pass the exam. When do you plan on taking it?

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+ Tip of the Day
  • Options
    rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
    Darril wrote: »
    Hi rob1234,

I'm a little biased, but I'd recommend this book: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide (ISBN-10: 1463762364). I'm hearing some great feedback on it from people that have used it to take and pass the exam. When do you plan on taking it?

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+ Tip of the Day

I see why you are a little biased towards that book icon_wink.gif

Does the book come with a pdf version as I like to read the book at work on the PC and the book at home?

Not sure when I am going to take the exam maybe in the next few months.
  • Options
    SlackerXSlackerX Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just finished reading Darril's book. Definitely not your typical study guide as it was actually fun to read. Would recommend CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide (ISBN-10: 1463762364) to anyone planning on sitting the Sec+ test.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I used his 201 book and it was just right to pass the exam. I really didn't need anything else, ​to pass the exam.

That being said I thought some topics were left a little cloudy and wound up doing some self study to clear things up. I have heard that the 301 version is much better in that aspect, particularly in the crypto section.

I don't think the 201 version had a CD with it. Not sure about the 301. I just started using eBooks and now I'm hooked.
  • Options
    rob1234 wrote: »
    I see why you are a little biased towards that book icon_wink.gif

Does the book come with a pdf version as I like to read the book at work on the PC and the book at home?

Not sure when I am going to take the exam maybe in the next few months.

I self-published the book and decided to do without a CD on both the 201 and 301 versions to keep the price down so no PDF version is available. However, I am working on getting a Kindle version available and Amazon has developed applications that work on just about any platform so a Kindle isn't needed.
    swild wrote: »
    I used his 201 book and it was just right to pass the exam. I really didn't need anything else, ​to pass the exam.

That being said I thought some topics were left a little cloudy and wound up doing some self study to clear things up.

Yes, it's often a tough balance to put enough details into a book to cover every nuance of a topic which can make it a massive tome, or put just enough in to help people pass the exam. I decided on a goal to give readers enough information in the book to help them take and pass the exam on their first try. Glad the book helped you pass and you were able to dig a little deeper on your own to fill in some holes.
    SlackerX wrote: »
    I just finished reading Darril's book. Definitely not your typical study guide as it was actually fun to read. Would recommend CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide (ISBN-10: 1463762364) to anyone planning on sitting the Sec+ test.

Thanks for the kind words. I don't see Security+ on your list of certs so I'm betting you're getting ready to take the exam soon. Good luck.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+ Tip of the Day
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words. I don't see Security+ on your list of certs so I'm betting you're getting ready to take the exam soon. Good luck.

My pleasure. About to start reading it again and focus on the areas that I need work on. Sitting for this test on 1/3/12, the end of the year is always a pain to try and find an open seat in my area. The entire state is filled until the new year.
  • Options
    Yes, the crowds should be thinned out by the third of Jan. We look forward to hearing that you passed!

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+ Tip of the Day
  • Options
    j86cicij86cici Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Darril,

I just purchased a copy of your SY0-301 book yesterday afternoon. I can't wait to receive it from Amazon and get started on Security+. Thanks again for your words of wisdom leading into my Network+ exam earlier this week!

-Jeff
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I self-published the book and decided to do without a CD on both the 201 and 301 versions to keep the price down so no PDF version is available. However, I am working on getting a Kindle version available and Amazon has developed applications that work on just about any platform so a Kindle isn't needed.

Darril, when do you think you'll have the kindle version out? I'm reading your 201 book now, but with the end of year rush, I won't be able to sit for the exam till next year. Which of course means taking the 301.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    j86cici wrote: »
    Darril,

I just purchased a copy of your SY0-301 book yesterday afternoon. I can't wait to receive it from Amazon and get started on Security+. Thanks again for your words of wisdom leading into my Network+ exam earlier this week!

-Jeff
    Good luck on the exam. Let us know how you do.

onesaint wrote: »
    Darril, when do you think you'll have the kindle version out? I'm reading your 201 book now, but with the end of year rush, I won't be able to sit for the exam till next year. Which of course means taking the 301.

I guess by today (Dec 31) you know whether you were able to do the 201 or not.... The Kindle version of the study guide will probably be out in February. There is a Kindle version of the 301 practice test questions book available now hee Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead- SY0-301 Practice Test Questions eBook: Darril Gibson: Kindle Store.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+ Tip of the Day
  • Options
    Just passed the exam today and only used Darril's book to study. A definite must have item if you want all of the relevant information in one concise publication. Thanks for publishing a great study guide!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Just passed the exam today and only used Darril's book to study. A definite must have item if you want all of the relevant information in one concise publication. Thanks for publishing a great study guide!

Congrats on the pass.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I guess by today (Dec 31) you know whether you were able to do the 201 or not.... The Kindle version of the study guide will probably be out in February. There is a Kindle version of the 301 practice test questions book available now hee Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead- SY0-301 Practice Test Questions eBook: Darril Gibson: Kindle Store.

Thanks Darril. I ended up not sitting for the 201 exam. The end of the year is just to busy sometimes. So, I picked up a copy of your 301 book and should have it soon.

Congrats! Whats next?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    Thanks, much appreciated. I am starting back on the CCNP cert. I first started this in 1998, passed Remote Access and the switching test as well as the CCIE written. Then got laid off and had to put everything on hold. Just took a few years to get motivated to work on it again heh.
  • Options

Congrats on the pass and glad to hear the book helped. Best of luck on the CCNP path.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+/Network+ Daily Tips
  • Options
    j86cicij86cici Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Darril,

I received your SY0-301 book in the mail last week and I'm little more than halfway through it at this point. Definitely a fun read so far. I'll let you know how Security+ turns out for me.
  • Options
    vtskillzvtskillz Member Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darril's book is definitely the best thing out there. Pass SY0-301 on 1/9 and didnt see anything on the test, that wasnt covered in the book. Expecting Darril's SSCP book today in the mail, expecting the material in that to be just as good.
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass and glad to hear the book helped. The knowledge from the Security+ exam will definitely help you pass the SSCP exam. Good luck.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+/Network+ Daily Tips
  • Options
    charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm hoping to start Darril's book soon. Still trying to get over those messer videos. They are pretty long, but I'm also taking notes on them.
  • Options
    charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I decided to buy another source today. Exam Cram. But this one is just pure questions.
    CompTIA Security+ SY0-301 Authorized Practice Questions Exam Cram: Amazon.ca: Diane Barrett: Books

I like how exam crams have a cd software that lets you do simulated exams on the computer.

Current sources:
    Messer videos + his notes
    Gibson Study Guide/Practice Questions
    Sec+ Exam Cram (800+ Questions with CD software)