Options

LinuxRacr's Quest for WGU Success...

Comments

• Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SMALL SETBACK:

Here are this morning's baseline PRACTICE test results for the 220-702. I shall be ready by the end of the week.

My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    After doing some studying, I'm seeing most of the same stuff I saw when I studied for the 220-701 exam. I think this has to do with the format of the Mike Meyers book. He goes through each topic while covering the parts that will be on the Essentials and the part that will be on the Practical exam. 220-702 scheduled for Friday morning. I'm going to win this!
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    I passed the 220-702..but didn't crush it like hoped. This was my own fault. I am glad that I waited a week and did the extra studying that I did get to do, because the test seemed to ask quite a few questions that I didn't cover in my studies. A pass is a pass (and I am A+ certified!), but lesson learned! Re-doubling my efforts for future assessments...
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    I passed the 220-702..but didn't crush it like hoped. This was my own fault. I am glad that I waited a week and did the extra studying that I did get to do, because the test seemed to ask quite a few questions that I didn't cover in my studies. A pass is a pass (and I am A+ certified!), but lesson learned! Re-doubling my efforts for future assessments...

No one cares what score you got...only that you passed.

With that, CONGRATULATIONS! :)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm diving into the CCENT studies now. Time to get after it!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your pass, good luck with the CCENT!
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    CCENT is fun! Get the Boson Ex-Sim Max. I am testing on Friday and just started using the test questions yesterday. It is an awesome simulator. I installed it on my computer last week and, before starting yesterday, I checked to see if there were any updates for the software and there was a 1.1MB download. Either I just happened to come in right when they updated or else they stay on top of it all the time, which is noce to see. This is the most I have ever paid for a practice test, but far worth it. Besides that, I have been using the Lammle book and the free INE videos. I have Odom's books as well, but they are so dry.

I told my mentor that I was taking both exams on the same day and she wasn't thrilled. I told her that there isn't any reason to spread them out since the study materials provided by WGU are for the combined exam so I am studying for both tests anyway. She was hesitant but aggreed. I think they have changed that since we enrolled in January. You may ask to see if you can get the new study materials. I remember reading somewhere that the materials have changed, but it may have only been for the IINS exam.
  • Options
    Man Boson has been around for a long time. I initially had started studying for the CCNA certification way back in 2002 to try to get a network ops position in my company, and the Boson router sim was one of the best. So were the Troy Tech guides. When I went for the interview, I tried to troubleshoot some questions when I had no experience. Big mistake...lol. I should have just been honest.

Anyway...

What did you think of the learning tools provided by WGU, such as the LearnKey videos or the Pearson simulator? I just started watching the LearnKey videos last night. The funny thing is that my friend let me borrow his course material from Global Knowledge a couple of months ago, and the slides in those videos mirror the slides in the Global Knowledge course material...

Is the Todd Lammle book I keep hearing about really prepare me any better? If so, I'll head down to Barnes and Noble at lunch to scoop it up.
  • Options
    swild wrote: »

I told my mentor that I was taking both exams on the same day and she wasn't thrilled. I told her that there isn't any reason to spread them out since the study materials provided by WGU are for the combined exam so I am studying for both tests anyway. She was hesitant but aggreed. I think they have changed that since we enrolled in January. You may ask to see if you can get the new study materials. I remember reading somewhere that the materials have changed, but it may have only been for the IINS exam.

My mentor mentioned that they are switching from LabSim to another product in May for the CCENT / CCNA courses. I am curious as to what they are moving to.
  • Options
    A network engineer at my company that I've been friends with for over a decade sent me information to get access to the INE videos. I shall enjoy this. :D
  • Options
    To supplement my studies, I picked up the Todd Lammle CCNA Study Guide (7th ed.) last night. Those who have used it, how does it stack up to other study materials?

For the 7th edition here is the break down of how the chapters correspond to the tests:

ICND1 chapters:
    1 - Internetworking
    2 - Review of Ethernet Networking and Data Encapsulation
    3 - Intro to TCP/IP
    4 - Easy Subnetting
    6 - Cisco's IOS
    7 - Managing a Cisco Internetwork
    8 - IP Routing
    10 - Layer 2 Switching and Spanning Tree Protocol
    12 - Security
    14 - Cisco's Wireless Technology
    16 - Wide Area Networks

ICND2 chapters:
    5 - VLSMs, Summarization, and Troubleshooting TCP/IP
    6 - Cisco's IOS
    7 - Managing a Cisco Internetwork
    9 - EIGRP and OSPF
    11 - Virtual Lans
    12 - Security
    13 - Network Address Translation
    14 - Cisco's Wireless Technologies
    15 - IPV6
    16 - Wide Area Networks

CCNA composite, obviously all chapters.
  • Options
    Ok, I need some sleep. I know all I ever want to know about RIP routing, thanks to the INE promotional streaming videos... Next up, EIGRP and OSPF.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Yeah, they really drill in the RIP in those videos. The other two seem much more simple to me.
  • Options
    WGUGeekGirlWGUGeekGirl Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just wanted to post that I started the WGU IT Security program March 1st of this year and am on my 3rd course (LET1 - Leadership Concepts and Applications) and these posts have been very encouraging. I've been on this site for awhile but this is my first post. :D On a side note, can someone please tell me how add my transferred, required, in progress, and completed WGU CU's info to my posts' signature? Been wondering how everyone else is adding that part, and I would be grateful for the tip! Thanks!
    "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." - Psalms 119:105 (KJV)
    WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress:
    Transferred
    (58 CUs) | Required (17 CUs) | In Progress (8 CUs) | Completed (36 CUs)
    BBC1, CVV1, GAC1, HHT1, AGC1, BVC1, INC1, INT1, WFV1, AXV1, CPV1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, IWC1, IWT1, QLT1, CLC1, DJV1, DHV1 | COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TYC1, TYP1 | CJV1, CUV1, BOV1, TPV1, MGC1, RIT1, BNC1, KET1, CTV1
  • Options
    Hello, and welcome to the site! I'm glad that information you have found here has been helpful. That's what this community is here for.

If you want to create a signature, go you your User Control Panel by scrolling to the top of the page, and clicking on the gear/cog/sprocket icon in the upper right, next to your user name. After you are in your user CP, scroll down, and on the right of the page is an option for "Edit Signature" under "My Settings".

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    WGUGeekGirlWGUGeekGirl Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    Hello, and welcome to the site! I'm glad that information you have found here has been helpful. That's what this community is here for.

If you want to create a signature, go you your User Control Panel by scrolling to the top of the page, and clicking on the gear/cog/sprocket icon in the upper right, next to your user name. After you are in your user CP, scroll down, and on the right of the page is an option for "Edit Signature" under "My Settings".

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply! The community here is what kept me coming back to read thread after thread. There was a thread about the WGU entrance assessment exam that really came in handy when I was prepping, and now that I'm in the IT Security program I hope to learn as much as I can from everyone's experiences here and share my own.

Concerning the signature question, for some reason I don't see this option listed on my cp. In fact this is what I see:

Do I have to have a certain number of posts or reputation points before the option to edit my signature becomes available to me? This was my first thought when I couldn't find the option on my own.
    "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." - Psalms 119:105 (KJV)
    WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress:
    Transferred
    (58 CUs) | Required (17 CUs) | In Progress (8 CUs) | Completed (36 CUs)
    BBC1, CVV1, GAC1, HHT1, AGC1, BVC1, INC1, INT1, WFV1, AXV1, CPV1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, IWC1, IWT1, QLT1, CLC1, DJV1, DHV1 | COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TYC1, TYP1 | CJV1, CUV1, BOV1, TPV1, MGC1, RIT1, BNC1, KET1, CTV1
  • Options
    I believe so. I can't remember exactly what that number is.
  • Options
    ICND1 exam is scheduled for May 31st, 2012... I have a long weekend to finish studying up...
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Do you feel overly prepared for the test? What areas are you going over?
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    Update: I pushed back the ICND1 exam to June 8th.
  • Options
    The ICND1 has been passed! Now I just need to hit the books to sure up for the ICND2 early next month. I think I have earned a well-deserved weekend break from studies!
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Thanks! This was definitely the hardest cert exam I've taken thus far... I had 50 questions, and I arrived at question 50 with under two minutes left of the 90. They sure do design the tests to make you spend a lot of time thinking, and eating away your time.
    One question pissed me off for sure though. I was like, "WTF is this???!!" I'm hoping that was a ungraded question thrown in for future use...
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hm... Can't recall the question you might be talking about, but wait until you take the ICND2. It's a beast! It took me three tries to pass it.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yea if you think the icdn1 was tough the icnd2 will really make you wear your thinking cap and be mindful of the clock. I didnt pay attention to time left and ran out first time i took it had about 5 or more questions left unanswered failed with a 758 :/ Lame.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you were pressed for time on ICND1, you'll definitely want to make sure you know your stuff before you hit ICND2. I had about 20-25 minutes left when I finished ICND1, but ICND2 took me down to the five minute mark.

Edit: Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    Congrats on your ICND 1 pass!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. It looks like the key to the ICND2 exam is a good understanding of everything through experience (labbing). Time to get busier after a short break!
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    It's rare to say a website changed my life, but this is exactly what Techexams did for me. When I first found TE, I was unemployed with no certs and not much experience. Now I have a job, certs, and a degree. I hope you much success LinuxRacr. Keep up the good work. :) WGU is awesome
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)