Options

LinuxRacr's Quest for WGU Success...

Comments

• Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks drew. I am loving this ride myself. I'm still amazed at what has transpired over the last 6 months, and am looking forward to the next 6.

Today I spoke with my mentor, and hammered out my starting lineup for my 2nd term:

CQV1 3 CU's ICND2 (CCNA)
    CNV1 4 CU's CCNA Security
    MGC1 4 CU's Principles of Management
    IWC1 2 CU's Literature , Arts, and Humanities

All resources have been unlocked, so I can get started at least before the 2nd term starts.

I hope to knock out the MGC1 and IWC1 fairly quick after I complete the Cisco classes (CQV1, CNV1), and maybe slap on a couple more classes.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    No updates lately because life has been full of distractions, but I'm back on track now. Working towards the ICND2 for my CCNA cert for CQV1. Last night I pulled the trigger on the Boson Ex-SIM Max. It looks like it will be a good tool for preparation. I also found that I still have access to the INE CCNA promotion for the free streaming classes. I'm going to go through it all again, while reading the Sybex CCNA study guide, and the CCNA IOS Command Survival Guide, both by Todd Lammle. I'm also using the Learn Key streaming videos to supplement review. Multiple streams of incoming info fill in the missing pieces quite nicely I've found.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    Fighting back against all of the distractions and changes in my life lately, I just passed MGC1, Principles of Management. It is a small step forward in this term, but a step nonetheless... Gearing up for the IWC1 Literature, Arts, and Humanities class, and then it will be two Cisco certs for the home stretch! I have been a worthy opponent to myself lately, but I must overcome.
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice thread and congrats on your certs!

How's the math there, is it tougher or easier than college algebra? I'm thinking about joining.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    dcren21dcren21 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks LinuxRacr,

I know with everything you are going through the updates have been less, but keep it up. Your thread is one of the many that inspired me to get back in school and start at WGU.
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (Start Date 8/1/12) : Transferred | Required | In Progress | Completed
    AGC1 BBC1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INT1 BVC1 RIT1 INC1 CUV1 BOV1 GAC1 HHT1 DHV1 CSV1 QLT1 IWC1 IWT1 DJV1 KET1 TPV1 CVV1 CJV1 KFT1 SBT1 RGT1 CTV1 CNV1 CQV1 COV1 AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1 MGC1 BNC1
  • Options
    Thanks. I'm working to keep moving forward. I was finally able to take care of IWC1 yesterday via online proctoring. Now I have to do my best to get my CCNA and CCNA Security before the end of the year.... Wish me luck....
  • Options
    Well, the pressure is on. I'm supposed to finish the CCNA and CCNA Security exams before the end of the year, and I'm not sure how I'm going to do it... I will not give up, but this will be an extreme up-hill battle. I have to at least knock out the CCNA exam to stay eligible for financial aid....
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @LinuxRacr - go knock 'em out, buster! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    ICND2 scheduled for Dec. 29th. It is do or die. Those of you who have taken the CCNA and passed, what advice would you give without violating the NDA?
  • Options
    Keep an eye on the time.
  • Options
    Just failed the first attempt of the 640-816 ICND2 exam with a 720. Since it is the end of the term not sure entirely of the consequenses to my quest. Looking into my options now.
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    Sorry to hear about your fail. I have a class not passed from a previous term, it will affect your SAP. That's when I decided to switch to the generic IT degree. It looks like Cisco retake policy is

"Candidates who fail an exam must wait a period of five (5) calendar days, beginning the day after the failed attempt, before they may retest for the same exam."
  • Options
    In this case I'll have TWO classes not passed. This is the thing that gets me. I wish I would have done the Cisco stuff first this term now....
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Sucks but do not beat yourself up. That is one tough exam and I have had a few mentors tell me it is the hardest for the majority of students. Let us know what happens. Do not give up, sounds like you are almost there and just need a few weeks more of study time to pass.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    Thanks. I'm already regrouping for my counterattack on this exam. I'm determined to take it down.
    The funny thing is that the thing I had the least amount of hands-on with (WAN technologies) was the thing I did the best on. Go figure.....
  • Options
    Ok, after I failed the ICND2 exam I went on vacation, and now am back and hard at work trying to get this done BEFORE February.

I've picked up a couple of additional resources to help attack from multiple angles:
    • The Bryant Advantage CCNA course at udemy.com (60% off right now) He really explains the material well, and have picked up additional insights due to the simplicity of his explanations.
    • The free YouTube videos at Danscourses.com (following along with Cisco Packet Tracer emulator software)
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Keep at it! I'm sorry to hear that you may not have made SAP, but I think you just get a warning for the first infraction.

It took me 4 tries at this exam before I beat it. I scored 703, 770, 774, and finally an 876.

Here's the summary after I finally passed ICND2 from epic thread:
    swild wrote: »
    ICND2 passed on my 4th attempt with a score of 874. Man, am I glad to have this one done.

Materials used:
    Odom's CCNA OCG library
    Lammle's CCNA Deluxe Study Guide
    Lammle's CCNA IOS Command Survival Guide (Safari Bookshelf)
    CCNA Exam Cram (just used the CCNA Cram Sheet from the back of the book) (Safari Bookshelf)
    INE Streaming CCNA Videos
    Odom's CCNA Video Mentor (Safari Bookshelf)
    Cisco Learning Labs for CCNA ICND2 (free with WGU voucher)
    Cisco Certification Practice Exam for 640-816 (free with WGU voucher)
    Cisco Aspire CCNA Edition (only did the free section)
    Boson Ex-Sim Max ICND2
    Home Lab: 3x 2950 switches, 2x 3640 routers, 1x 2510 router.

To be honest, I'm not sure why I had so much trouble with this exam. The course mentor said that this is the hardest exam that anyone has to take at WGU but even with that I feel like I had more difficulty than I should have. In the past 24 hours, I completely read though the 300+ page CCNA IOS Command Guide, which is a huge help since there are so many command specific questions.

I highly recommend against the Cisco Practice Exam. Half the questions' answers could not be found in either the Odom or Lammle books. There are also some very antiquated questions like "Which options listed below best explains the difference between PPP and SLIP?" I found the answer to that one by Googling and pulling up an MS Win 95 help page.

I'm kinda wiped at the moment, so this is the best write-up I can muster. If you have any questions about these resources or anything else I can say without breaking the NDA, ask away.

Have you had a chance to check out those two new resources yet? (Danscourses.com and Bryant) What do you think?
  • Options
    Hey, thanks! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The Bryant Advantage course has been AWESOME! He is a good teacher that breaks down the material with a real-world, no nonsense approach that makes it easy for prospective cert holders to learn. He provides a lot of bonus material that helps solidify the material in your mind. Way more enjoyable to watch than the INE videos. Also, the Danscourses You Tube videos along with Cisco packet tracer really helps you get the hands-on knowledge for the exam, on the go, and without live equipment..FOR FREE!! I highly recommend both.
  • Options
    Well, I took and failed the exam for the 2nd time March 23rd. I did worse this time than the first attempt (actually ran out of time with 5 questions left). I'm a little pissed about that. Nonetheless, I'm back after it, preparing for attempt 3.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I know it can get discouraging but keep at it!

Consider getting some practice exams & a lab simulator (if you don't have a live lab to work on).

Good luck on that next attempt!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    Well, I took and failed the exam for the 2nd time March 23rd. I did worse this time than the first attempt (actually ran out of time with 5 questions left). I'm a little pissed about that. Nonetheless, I'm back after it, preparing for attempt 3.

Wow that has me worried for my prospects when I attempt to get my CCNA. Don't feel bad, my best friend who is a NOC tech and works with Cisco stuff every day and is pretty smart and studied his arse off, has failed it twice now.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    It's a tough test and from what I hear the new version is even harder. Keep at it and you will get it. It took me 4 tries at ICND2, but I got it.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agreed with the others. The ICND2 isn't easy at all. It took me three attempts. It's the reason why I had to use up 3 terms in my undergrad at WGU with 5 months left in my third term. Don't get discouraged. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going for my third attempt on Monday. I've been running through the Boson practice exams, and doing the danscourses labs on my weak areas.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks. That 2nd link isn't working for me.
  • Options
    That's weird, it works only when I'm logged in. You can't even search it on google play.

The program is called (Router Commands Training Aid)

Well here's the link to iPhone (just to see what it looks like)
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/router-commands-training-aid/id475508805?mt=8
  • Options
    So I failed for yet a third time this past Monday morning. It was my hardest attempt yet. I had one simulation question after another...lol. The bright light to it is that all sections were a pass except two. I feel I can take this thing the next attempt.
  • Options
    Interesting. It was the same for me. 3rd attempt was by far the hardest. Looks like you will be joining me in the 4th-times-a-charm club. :)