10 things your IT guy wants you to know...

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
Someone just sent this to me, pretty funny... 10 things your IT guy wants you to know… | FailDesk

I especially like #10. Being "The e-mail guy", I've put up with that one a lot. Constant jokes (often within my own department) about me reading everybody's e-mail, like I have nothing better to do. icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    "2. If you say you’re an idiot for doing something, I’ll likely agree."

I once replied back with "that's OK..." the rest of the conversation was a little awkward. I now tend to ignore they said that.

I also once made someone cry when I gave them some bad news (which was neither of ours fault). I still felt guilty...
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    "Its pretty likely you don't have the most important job".

That is it, right there.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Good read. Gotta send this to my wife. I love the woman and owe her a lot but she's the worst user ever. She could learn a thing or two from this.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Epic post. Epic list.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    7 is where it's at. Had a guy call yesterday, twice, once while I was on lunch, then when I was working a down Citrix farm for a client. Then he emails me 3 times wondering why I haven't called him back. I just want to say each time "When you call/email me more than 1 time, I add an additional half hour to when i'll get back to you."
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I'd like to have Chris O'Dowd from The IT Crowd read those out loud.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661

That would be awesome. :D
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I find some of the items on this list condescending and not funny. I do like 3,6, and 7 though. :D
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    #10...

When I worked at X University, I was a student/FTE my senior year. I had extensive access to mainframe db's...I could literally see almost everything about anyone's academic record...but I didn't care...not one bit. People would ask me to look up so and so's grade in a class, or what they were on academic probation for, but...I could really care less! I told them to go ask the person themselves if they were so interested in others affairs.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Forwarded this to a few coworkers in the helldesk and they were entertained.
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    Forwarded this to a few coworkers in the helldesk and they were entertained.

I will do the same this week as an Xmas present from IT World. ;)
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Everyone wrote: »
    Someone just sent this to me, pretty funny... 10 things your IT guy wants you to know… | FailDesk

I especially like #10. Being "The e-mail guy", I've put up with that one a lot. Constant jokes (often within my own department) about me reading everybody's e-mail, like I have nothing better to do. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Was just messing with our e-mail guy about this very thing today. He had that exact response you did.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "Its pretty likely you don't have the most important job".

That is it, right there.
    People with the most important jobs tend to have the least important problems, but they are "VIPs" so they get priority...
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    My drill sergeant taught me, there's only 2 people you don't mess with in the army. The cooks and finance. Cooks feed you. Finance pays you. Cooks will spit in your food or give you small portions. Finance will sit on your money or "lose" your paperwork. Since I only have the latter here, I make sure she is taken care of. And she returns the favor for me when I need travel payments or her blessing on a high price purchase. Anyone else that is respectful and patient, are eligible for "VIP" or priority status. I don't demand groveling, but if you're a turd...you do risk having your issue delayed if it is not critical.

I can also be bribed with TWIX bars.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Was just messing with our e-mail guy about this very thing today. He had that exact response you did.

My favorite response to give was when I worked for the DoD... I'd tell people "If I'm reading your e-mail, it's because you did something VERY bad and the JAG has handed me an order to go through your e-mail for them."
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 That would be very cool
    God deserves my best
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    People with the most important jobs tend to have the least important problems, but they are "VIPs" so they get priority...

I was talking to my wife (who is an underwriter) who said "we should get priority because we make the company money". This makes a little sense. For my clients that are medical practices, complaints from physicians are immediately looked at with a little more urgency. However, that doesn't mean that their BS issue has precedence over a business wide or critical issue for someone else. You have to have the fortitude to say that, out loud, to your 'most important' job holder. That can be tough for IT people, who can be a little more passive aggressive than your average crowd.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Great article, very entertaining and I can relate my past user support experience to most if not all of it, but this really made me laugh out loud:
    Trifidw wrote: »
    "2. If you say you’re an idiot for doing something, I’ll likely agree."

I once replied back with "that's OK..."
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs