Options

Best IT Field

nms90nms90 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im looking into transferring to Wgu to receive my bachelors in IT. After i get my associates and im really having trouble on which field i should specialize in or just get a general IT degree.

I really just want some of you guys personal opinions or just from personal experiences on which career path is best.

Comments

• Options
    Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just select which ever one interests you the most. When you graduate WGU your degree will simply be in Information Technology no matter which IT program you choose.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In my area networking (CCNPs are in high demand) and database administration seem to be going strong. I also see a ton of companies looking for .Net developers.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Underwater marble stacking.

Edit: ohhh, you wanted IT. You'll have to define 'Best'. Best as in highest paying? Best as in difficulty? Best as in demand?
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I'm sure "best" is just a blanket statement. When I think of best I think of all three... Demand, Challenging (which leads to demand) and Salary.

I'd have to say go with what you're interested in - because if you don't... you'll be miserable even if you're collecting a nice paycheck
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Well, if you want to make women go wild, tell them you're a Linux/UNIX sys admin. We definitely get all the ladies and make other IT people jealous.

Other than that, as has already been said, the actual program doesn't matter much since they're all very similar. Once you get a feel for which aspect you enjoy the most, try working towards a career in it.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Messaging. I might be a little biased. ;)
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    nhpr wrote: »
    Well, if you want to make women go wild, tell them you're a Linux/UNIX sys admin. We definitely get all the ladies and make other IT people jealous.
    Hahaha. I imagine the panties just drop when you tell them that!
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571

My girlfriend LOVES my piping skills icon_thumright.gif

That...and grep'ing her top
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Nearly all job postings for IT in state government here are for application developers. (SQL, JAVA, .NET)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have to go with ERP administration. Every facet of IT (database, network, server, application development, etc. ) has to either be done by an erp administrator OR be familiar enough to do basic/complex troubleshooting. I work with a network team and 10 times out of 10 I never involve them in an escalation unless I know it's some router/firewall issue (such as something that happened this morning.) Once I involve them, they know I know it's on their end and it gets taken cared of straightaway.

ERPs (SAP, Peoplesoft (Oracle), Lawson, Banner (higher ed space), etc., etc. are in practically every vertical (industry). From public to private and back again, I'd have no problem going to any industry with an ERP skill set. Anyone can configure routers/switches/servers...but not everybody gets to go into ERPs.

The best way to break into an ERP role is by going the DBA route (the database is the heart of any ERP...you don't have a system without the DB.)
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Yeah chicks dig UNIX (pun intended) - I had a t-shirt that said that once... yeah those panties dropped alright...
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    lsud00d wrote: »
    My girlfriend LOVES my piping skills icon_thumright.gif

That...and grep'ing her top

haha that's awesome
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    haha that's awesome

Very awesome indeed.
  • Options
    gbadmangbadman Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    drkat wrote: »
    Yeah chicks dig UNIX (pun intended) - I had a t-shirt that said that once... yeah those panties dropped alright...

Ha ha ha!! Masterful!
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties

-[/FONT][FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Harry Truman[/FONT]
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod

I agree, UNIX is the new six packs
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Find a good company, and choose a field of interest and become good at it. Look at someone who is successful and see if you want to do what he's doing
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    No matter what area you choose make sure you do it for the right reasons. Some folks try to follow the big bucks and end up being miserable. As others said, choose something you find interesting and become really good at it. The rest will come by itself.