Options

Inexpensive VMware Training Options

Comments

• Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    Goldspot wrote: »
    I wait-listed around the middle of June. Obviously, I didn't make the cut for the latest class (or I never saw my acceptance e-mail...), but someone mentioned up-thread that there may be one or more fall classes (Sept. or Oct.). Anyone have any new info on that?

There are fall classes. I just got put on the waitlist yesterday and the only option available was January. However, by email I was told that availability may be sooner depending on demand so watch my email.
  • Options
    tgtdtgtd Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are fall classes. I just got put on the waitlist yesterday and the only option available was January. However, by email I was told that availability may be sooner depending on demand so watch my email.

Likewise. I just recently waitlisted and there were options for Jan and March 2014, with the same potential earlier availability options. Great forum and thread!
  • Options
    GoldspotGoldspot Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just thought I'd update. I got an e-mail yesterday (which was spam-trapped icon_sad.gif ), but Jana called me today to follow up. Apparently, a slot opened up in the August class and my number was next, so I'm in! Ironically, she called me while I was sitting in a VMUG conference in a session entitled "Optimizing VMWare for Performance".
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
  • Options
    shifty1981shifty1981 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How do you knwo if you've been waitlisted? i though I signed up months ago but haven't gotten any notifications.

thanks
  • Options
    HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It isn't very clear if you've been waitlisted. There are no notifications as such. Your best bet is to email the onestop@stanly.edu and ask them. Also check your spam folder as they may have already contacted you to offer a place.
  • Options
    HP_Guy wrote: »
    It isn't very clear if you've been waitlisted. There are no notifications as such. Your best bet is to email the onestop@stanly.edu and ask them. Also check your spam folder as they may have already contacted you to offer a place.

thanks. nothing in my spam folder. I'll check with them again.
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Contact Jana, she will let you know.

JanaP. Kennedy
    Eagle’s One Stop Mentor
    Stanly Community College
    141 College Drive
    Albemarle, NC 28001
    704-991-0180
    704-991-0126 Fax
    Jkennedy7709@stanly.edu
  • Options
    tstrip007 wrote: »
    Contact Jana, she will let you know.

JanaP. Kennedy
    Eagle’s One Stop Mentor
    Stanly Community College
    141 College Drive
    Albemarle, NC 28001
    704-991-0180
    704-991-0126 Fax
    Jkennedy7709@stanly.edu

Thanks!
  • Options
    GQ SmoothGQ Smooth Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just wanted to say thank you the original poster for creating this thread, also to taternuts666 for bringing Stanley SCC to our attention and finally Mr. Huneycutt and Stanley SCC for being so responsive to questions asked by members in this thread.

I signed up to the waiting list this morning for the January-March classes, keeping my fingers cross, hoping I am able to get a spot in one of the fall classes.
  • Options
    The waiting list is really long now. I signed up for the January- March waiting list and was told by Ms. Kennedy that I probably won't get in until April.
  • Options
    Has anyone that joined the waiting list in August heard anything back from the school?
  • Options
    WagnaardWagnaard Member Posts: 124
    No. Never heard back at all.
  • Options
    Radiohead316Radiohead316 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wagnaard wrote: »
    No. Never heard back at all.

I don't think registration has gone out for October yet. You might have a better idea when you stand after that. I wait listed July 3rd and haven't heard yet.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does anyone know of "cheaper" alternatives for courses other from vSphere Install/Configure/Manage (i.e., Cloud, View)?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SimonD.SimonD. Member Posts: 111
    Unfortunately you still need to attend the qualifying course for the VCP DCV. All three VCP tracks will have similarly priced courses (and of the three courses I found the DCV course to be the best one, the older vCloud 1.5 course was a shambles, the 5.1 course drops a number of subjects). The older View 5.1 course wasn't too bad but I haven't sat the Horizon course at all.

Stick with the DCV route for the moment as you will need that background for the Cloud and DT tracks anyway.
    My Blog - http://www.everything-virtual.com
    vExpert 2012\2013\2014\2015
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm covered on DCV :) I was just curious about the other VMware tracks.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Radiohead316Radiohead316 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GQ Smooth wrote: »
    Has anyone that joined the waiting list in August heard anything back from the school?

Just received a message from Jana that I will be in the October class, and registrations will go out next week. Keep an eye on your mailboxes and spam folders!
  • Options
    metametmetamet Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got my wait list email on Wednesday that said I could take the October course. It said the form needed to be completed by Friday, September 27th.

So I filled out the form and will be taking the class. :D

I imagine that after this Friday the next batch of emails will go out.
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Hey. Just wanted to know how much one of these classes for VmWare ICM 5.1 Cost via Community College that you guys are talking about ?
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The courses are at a standard per-unit cost. For example, I'm enrolled in the class at Ohlone college right now. That class is two units, so it cost me the same as any other two-unit course at that community college, plus the usual health-fee and some sign-up costs. Here in California, community college is $46 per unit at the moment.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Just received a message from Jana that I will be in the October class, and registrations will go out next week. Keep an eye on your mailboxes and spam folders!

Thanks Radiohead. I didn't receive an email so I guess I'm not in the October class. Hopefully I will be in the next round of classes.
  • Options
    210mike210mike Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't know if it's been discussed here, but if you're local to San Antonio, TX the community college system has a pretty inexpensive VMware training course. I'm taking it right now for 219 dollars as a continuing education student.
    WGU BS: IT Network and Design Management (Completed Oct 2014)
  • Options
    mguernseymguernsey Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Got my email for Stanly CC last night - pretty happy to have finally gotten in.
  • Options
    @mguernsey, When did you signed up on the waiting list? I am trying to gauge how far along I am before my turn comes up.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Just got a call from Jana. I gave up my spot as I already paid for another class so congratulations to the next person in the waitlist ;)
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks like I missed my email from Jana, Gmail flagged it as spam. Just got a call from her though, Submitted my info for registration. Looking forward to the start on the 21st.
  • Options
    mguernseymguernsey Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GQ Smooth wrote: »
    @mguernsey, When did you signed up on the waiting list? I am trying to gauge how far along I am before my turn comes up.

Signed up sometime in June I believe. Kind of hard to remember, but it was towards the end of spring and beginning of summer.
  • Options
    mguernsey wrote: »
    Signed up sometime in June I believe. Kind of hard to remember, but it was towards the end of spring and beginning of summer.

OK thanks. Looks like they are hitting the June/July list, I signed up at the end of August so I probably won't get in.
  • Options
    GoldspotGoldspot Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to brag a little. I managed to sneak into the Aug-Sept. class, which ends this week. I took the VCP5-DCV last week and passed! Unfortunately, I have to wait a couple of weeks for my cert to process since Stanly doesn't send out course completion notification to VMWare until next week.

Now I have the same question as a previous poster: Where to find other classes (besides ICM) on the cheap. The "What's New" class that will be required to update to VCP6 next year will likely be $2k-$3k, just like the current "What's New" class. Also, I wouldn't mind taking "Optimize and Scale".