Options

Inexpensive VMware Training Options

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    effekted wrote: »
    For anyone that did the ICM class through Ohlone, do you just apply for admission like you would be doing a degree?
    Yup, you register with the school and sign up for the course like you were taking any ol' class. I believe there is even a Pass/No Pass option, if you're worried about keeping a clean GPA that won't interfere with schooling elsewhere.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For those that may still need it, here again is the link to Stanly's online VMware course wait list: https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php

If you have any specific questions, you can feel free to send me a private message here. Please include your full name in the private message.
  • Options
    el_vago32el_vago32 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Yup, you register with the school and sign up for the course like you were taking any ol' class. I believe there is even a Pass/No Pass option, if you're worried about keeping a clean GPA that won't interfere with schooling elsewhere.

Another question related to this: I'm on the wait list for the summer course, should I register now or wait for it to be an opening available?
  • Options
    networkhobonetworkhobo Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just waitlisted for the summer also. I guess I will just wait and see what happens. I am very excited to have found this thread! I am paying for all of this out of pocket as this is a personal goal of mine so the $4k+ price tag on classes kinda knocked the wind out of me. I look forward to hearing more details about this course!
  • Options
    We added additional sections for this summer, and we are contacting students now. However, if you just registered on the wait list, most likely it will be Fall 2014 before a seat opens for you. Please remember you can always send me a private message if you have any specific questions.

I just waitlisted for the summer also. I guess I will just wait and see what happens. I am very excited to have found this thread! I am paying for all of this out of pocket as this is a personal goal of mine so the $4k+ price tag on classes kinda knocked the wind out of me. I look forward to hearing more details about this course!
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I look forward to hearing more details about this course!

I am in the current class, which closes in a day or so. It is a great, very inexpensive course. The staff is great, very responsive. I sent an email over one weekend and got a quick response, which I wasn't expecting. I've even had the instructor talk to me over the phone so that we could walk through a configuration issue on one of the esxi servers.

Overall, a very pleasant experience. I would highly recommend the course. The wait may seem long, but it is worth it!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    networkhobonetworkhobo Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lots of great info!

I have seen in the thread that the coursework is version 5.1. Which exam do people usually take for their VCP5 after this course? The VCP510 or VCP550?

Thanks!
  • Options
    MikeLeeMikeLee Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am newbie(windows sys admin with little vmware exp) and would like to get certified as VCP also. Is there a place to get the training in Houston for less than $500? I had checked Houston Community College and Lone Star College with no succress. They don't provide it anymore. Is there a place online from another university that provides vmware certification like vsphere 5.1 for $500 or less? I am unemployed and would like to spend as little $ as possible taking a class since it is a pre-req to take the exam. Otherwise, i would study on my own with the 2 Dell T7400 workstations that i have if they didn't have this requirement. Thanks.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Any reason why you don't go with Stanly? I don't think anyone comes close to their price.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Any reason why you don't go with Stanly? I don't think anyone comes close to their price.

how much is it right now? current price as of today? i checked their website and it didnt say..also, it didn't say about online as of today, so did they change their policy?...i live in houston, texas.

VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage
  • Options
    swefredswefred Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go with stanley so you can take the test. You still need pluralsight.com (free with .edu address) and Mastering vmware vsphere, blueprint, practise tests, a homelab and more
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Probably late to the bandwagon here but I presume with this OP being from 2012 that the Stanly route wasn't known at the time and that currently is the best route?
  • Options
    Stanly CC can offer the VMware class only to individuals and not as part of corporate training. The course is conducted entirely online, including labs, in an asynchronous manner which basically means it is available to students 24/7. Students can study at their own pace provided you meet the minimum due dates set by the instructor. The courses are 8 weeks in length, and the current tuition & lab fee costs total $185. There is also an optional textbook available through our book store.

We enroll students in the VMware courses in the order in which they registered on our online wait list. If you have not added your information to this list please do so at https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php.
    At this time, due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, SCC is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. SCC will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Wyoming.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. You can also visit our VMware page on our SCC website at VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage
    -Stanly_CC
    MikeLee wrote: »
    I am newbie(windows sys admin with little vmware exp) and would like to get certified as VCP also. Is there a place to get the training in Houston for less than $500? I had checked Houston Community College and Lone Star College with no succress. They don't provide it anymore. Is there a place online from another university that provides vmware certification like vsphere 5.1 for $500 or less? I am unemployed and would like to spend as little $ as possible taking a class since it is a pre-req to take the exam. Otherwise, i would study on my own with the 2 Dell T7400 workstations that i have if they didn't have this requirement. Thanks.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Probably late to the bandwagon here but I presume with this OP being from 2012 that the Stanly route wasn't known at the time and that currently is the best route?

Correct, the thread died, was res'd, then in early 2013 @taternuts666 brought up SCC:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/72885-inexpensive-vmware-training-options-3.html
  • Options
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    Stanly CC can offer the VMware class only to individuals and not as part of corporate training. The course is conducted entirely online, including labs, in an asynchronous manner which basically means it is available to students 24/7. Students can study at their own pace provided you meet the minimum due dates set by the instructor. The courses are 8 weeks in length, and the current tuition & lab fee costs total $185. There is also an optional textbook available through our book store.

We enroll students in the VMware courses in the order in which they registered on our online wait list. If you have not added your information to this list please do so at https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php.
    At this time, due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, SCC is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. SCC will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Wyoming.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. You can also visit our VMware page on our SCC website at VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage
    -Stanly_CC

thanks...i noticed it says 5.1 at the site...will i be disqualified to take the 5.5 exam if i take this course to fulfill pre-req?
  • Options
    dustinpoplindustinpoplin Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This course would satisfy the course requirement. You can take either the 510 or the 550 exam to get VCP5-DCV.
  • Options
    This course would satisfy the course requirement. You can take either the 510 or the 550 exam to get VCP5-DCV.

cool..thks
  • Options
    cypher2decyphercypher2decypher Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello guyz. Please has anybody registered for the Stanly CC January 13 VMware ICM class?
  • Options
    KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
    Hello guyz. Please has anybody registered for the Stanly CC January 13 VMware ICM class?

Yes I have registered.
    Class is full AFAIK
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    cypher2decyphercypher2decypher Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Krusader wrote: »
    Yes I have registered.
    Class is full AFAIK
    I have registered too. I just wanted to catch up with all those involved so that I can stay informed. Any suggestions for a budget home lab that will be sufficient to practice well enough for the vcp-dcv exams will be highly appreciated.
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    Who is taking the class next week? If so, do you have a lab setup at home also?
  • Options
    muneebkalathilmuneebkalathil Member Posts: 148
    am taking the course :)
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If anyone is in the northern Los Angeles/Ventura area, there is a class at Moorpark College that starts in a week. Physical classroom meetings once a week at night. For residents you only pay around $150.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    GAB1900GAB1900 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    zcarenow wrote: »

I am taking the class and I have a home lab. Today I ran some CAT5e from my office to my garage where I have 3-Dell R410 servers. I started reading the VMware and Sybex book.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496

I had a lab when I took the class too, however I completed the class in 3 weeks and then just logged in once a week till the class was over. Having tinkered with the home-lab leading up to the class really helped.
  • Options
    GAB1900 wrote: »
    I am taking the class and I have a home lab. Today I ran some CAT5e from my office to my garage where I have 3-Dell R410 servers. I started reading the VMware and Sybex book.

i have two Dell Precision T7400 workstations at home. Gonna have to figure out how to setup a lab with these workstations. Will start tomorrow. Anyone with good suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.
  • Options
    GAB1900GAB1900 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i have two Dell Precision T7400 workstations at home. Gonna have to figure out how to setup a lab with these workstations. Will start tomorrow. Anyone with good suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Probably you will want to mimic your class lab? Just have them ready with ESXi and wait for the labs to start. Just a guess.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would probably start just by walking through the ESXI install on both of them, and deploy the Vcenter appliance and get the two hosts added. You may have to tweak the dell esxi disk with drivers (some precisions work out of box, some take some help, depening generally on the RAID card and the network card).

There's nothing more valuable than just doing it. Even if it's not working just right and frustrating you, you're going to learn. Then of course come back to the forum and ask for help and we'll help you get it working
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Will try to get installation for ESXi 5.5 going
  • Options
    kernel99kernel99 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i did already registered and paid out.
    waiting for instructions..
    1.hvn't received any email yet...how about you all...

2.I've only one computer with 8GB memory and amd six core cpu...need advice on home lab setup...

3.which books best to follow...didn't purchase from them..

4. is it possible to take a test after course completion.

thanks