Options

Inexpensive VMware Training Options

Comments

• Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did mine from Ohlone College. Paid $98 for the whole course plus the VMware Academy book that is required for $48. The ebook is around $16 if I am not mistaken. I didn't get the ebook version since it is not PDF or Mobi format. Thought about taking the VCP exam but most likely not. May give away my discount code soon.
  • Options
    taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    @networkjutsu: Was this an online class? Can anyone take it? You have me VERY intrigued.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    @networkjutsu: Was this an online class? Can anyone take it? You have me VERY intrigued.

I found this on the schools website:

Title
    VMware: Install, Configure

Course Section Number
    CNET-120-02

Description

Credits

Start Date
    28 January 2013

End Date
    24 May 2013

Online class. Students must have Internet access. Consult the Distance Education heading after the class listings in this class schedule for important information on this class. Go to Ohlone College and follow the instructions for getting started. EBook Instructions: 1. Make sure you get the vSphere 5.0 version, NOT 4.1 or any other release! 2. Go to Login Page 3. Login: Guest - Student, password: ! Password1 (Note: the Login is just as you see it, with blanks around the hyphen, two words) 4. Click on 'ebook' where you see it at the top of the left-hand column 5. Click on 'student eBooks' in the center of the page 6. Select "VMware Academy vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage Student" 7. Enter the number of copies you want and then "Add to Cart" 8. Fill out the form asking for your name and address. Then press "Licensee Details" 9. You do not need to fill out the "Licensee Details" form. That's used if you already have a license and wish to re-assign it to someone else. 10. Once you confirm the order you will get an order number and an email containing the voucher. Follow the instructions in the email and you'll have access to the student kit. Note that the kit can be viewed online through a browser or can be downloaded to a Windows/Mac machine where you have to install a reader for the eBook. I beleive that you can only register the eBook on two machines at a time.
  • Options
    i'm trying to call them right now and can't get anyone to answer.
  • Options
    Taternuts666, they do offer it both online and on site. You may have to pay more since you live outside of CA. The lectures are live when the on site class meets. All questions asked during the lecture via online would not be answered right away. It'll be answered during break and/or after the lecture.

You may want to check College of DuPage as well - took my BCMSN class there when I was living in Cook county. I actually told one of my acquaintances about it since he was looking for a VMware class for cheap but didn't know about VMware Academy. Not sure if they offer it online though. Sorry, too lazy to check their site.

I have David Patrick's email address (the instructor) so if you want it send me a PM.
  • Options
    I just sent you a PM networkjutsu. I can't get anyone at Ohlone to return my calls or emails and can't speak to an actual person. I'll check out DuPage.
  • Options
    Check your PM.
  • Options
    dabadaba Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The UCSC is 2 months long and is based on 5.0.

Regarding the online one at Ohlone, do you have to be online during a set period? The one at UCSC seems totally up to you, but the one at CCCTI you have to be online at set times for the course.

I'm leaning for the UCSC course, but i'm going to look into these other two. Please let me know if anyone is signing up for any classes in the not to far future.
  • Options
    Daba,

The Ohlone one, I am not sure if they updated it to 5.1 yet. When I took the ICM class (Fall 2012), VMware announced 5.1 in the middle of the semester. Our class was the very first one where the instructor tried the online quiz (five questions). The quiz was set to expire 7:15PM or 7:30PM PST every Wednesday, which is the same night of the lecture as well. The first few times I attended the live lecture, but since it is being recorded I didn't bother to attend the live lectures anymore. The labs are at your own pace but you get reminded by the instructor once in a while if you're really behind. Some students finish it on a weekend some follow the schedule of the class. It is entirely up to you. The labs are 75% of your grade so do all of them and you get a C. You can forget about the quiz and the final exam if you want to. Though, I don't recommend it.

For all interested on the price of Ohlone, I talked to taternuts666 and was told that total fees is around $500 for out of state students. For CA residents, it should be just under $100 for the tuition plus the cost of the book ($48 hard copy or $16 soft copy - not PDF or Mobi version).
  • Options
    It's too late to get into the Ohlone class right now but I'm assuming there will be another next semester. The last day for registration was 2/8 but it needed to have the instructor's approval. I emailed the instructor asking for the approval but he said he couldn't approve because they were already 2 weeks into class. Still a hell of a price for this class if you want to keep your eye out for next semester though.
  • Options
    So if anyone else is following this I finally found a great deal for the Install, Configure, Manage class online. It is through Stanly Community College in North Carolina. The cost of the course is $180 + $43 for the required text book. The book must be an in-house book or something because even googling the ISBN nothing comes up.

Also they don't charge tuition for out of state students since it is considered a continuing education course and not for college credit. I spoke with the instructor through email and they are part of the VMWare IT academy so completion of the course will make you eligible for the VCP cert. Also the lectures are pre-recorded so he described it as essentially an 8 week self-paced course with all the labs online as well.

I just registered and it starts 3/11/2013. Looks to be 2 more spots left if anyone is interested. If not the instructor says there may be a summer course but definitely a fall semester course.
  • Options
    Wow that's amazing, I found the course you're talking about but it says there are 16 available seats?

Anyways thanks for the heads up!!
  • Options
    Yea I think you're right actually. I think I read the seat availability backwards so instead being 17 seats filled before I signed up there were 17 available. I hope to see some fellow TE members in the class. If anyone signs up please PM me and maybe we can organize a help/study group.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    $223 really is amazing! I have no idea how they can offer such a low price for something that costs much more elsewhere. UCSC charges $1100 or something and CCCT&I asks for $1500, doesnt make sense. But you cant beat $223!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice find. I was thinking about taking an ICM class.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    It's listed as row 85 on the VMware Academy Program Participants. Hell for $200, it's worth the risk, but damn that registration page looks sketchy.
  • Options
    daba wrote: »
    It's listed as row 85 on the VMware Academy Program Participants. Hell for $200, it's worth the risk, but damn that registration page looks sketchy.

lol.

Yeah, it's a CC (with probably limited IT resources).

But I can see they are using Oracle Content Server/Site Studio components which are easy enough for SSL configuration and the web cert is legit so at least know that your info won't be sniffed along the way icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    I signed up. Still 16 seats available.
  • Options
    malibubtsmalibubts Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So if anyone else is following this I finally found a great deal for the Install, Configure, Manage class online. It is through Stanly Community College in North Carolina. The cost of the course is $180 + $43 for the required text book. The book must be an in-house book or something because even googling the ISBN nothing comes up.

Also they don't charge tuition for out of state students since it is considered a continuing education course and not for college credit. I spoke with the instructor through email and they are part of the VMWare IT academy so completion of the course will make you eligible for the VCP cert. Also the lectures are pre-recorded so he described it as essentially an 8 week self-paced course with all the labs online as well.

I just registered and it starts 3/11/2013. Looks to be 2 more spots left if anyone is interested. If not the instructor says there may be a summer course but definitely a fall semester course.

Awesome find! I've been looking for a decently priced course for a bit now. Did you happen to ask much about grading? I saw on the site it was S/U and you'd get an S for 80% attendance, but that was about it.
  • Options
    crazyITguycrazyITguy Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in email contact with the program admin asking the exact same question. I should have a response today and will let everyone know.
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Please do let us know. I am very interested in the class myself.
  • Options
    Directly from the program admin. I will be registering tomorrow. Anyone on TE want to start a study group for this?
    80% means that you attend 80% of the class. For this class being online, this means you have logged in and worked on labs for 80% of the class.
  • Options
    malibubtsmalibubts Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cool so it doesn't sound like any exams or anything. I'm highly considering picking it up, just have to make sure I can handle my regular classes through the rest of the semester and my job. I'd definitely be interested in a study group if I decide to enroll.
  • Options
    @crazyITguy - I would love to be a part of a study group for this class. Shoot me a PM or email me at allenk732 at gmail.com
  • Options
    crazyITguy wrote: »
    Directly from the program admin. I will be registering tomorrow. Anyone on TE want to start a study group for this?
    80% means that you attend 80% of the class. For this class being online, this means you have logged in and worked on labs for 80% of the class.

Is there a required meeting time? I'm confused what "logging in and working on labs for 80% of the class" equates to since the course is online.
  • Options
    lsud00d,

I just asked them this question. Was told the person who answers is out today. I will have more info in the morning.
  • Options
    @lsud00d - Here is what I was told by the instructor: "Yes, it we are a VMware IT Academy, this course counts towards your VCP.Lectures are pre-recorded, this is an asynchronous class, labs are done online as well, so it’s basically an 8 week, self-paced course."
  • Options
    Thanks guys, that was my impression but crazITguy's last update was confusing.

I'm on the fence about this...the only capacity I work with VMware is some of my systems are in vSphere and I use VMworkstation at home. I'd love to get the VCP and I'm sure there would be a positive ROI at some point but right now I don't really deal with virtual technologies...
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Thanks guys, that was my impression but crazITguy's last update was confusing.

I'm on the fence about this...the only capacity I work with VMware is some of my systems are in vSphere and I use VMworkstation at home. I'd love to get the VCP and I'm sure there would be a positive ROI at some point but right now I don't really deal with virtual technologies...
    At this price - $213x2(per unit for out of state students)+16(ebook)= $442 i would sign up 2(twice). I doubt you will find it cheaper, anywhere.
    Its not cheap nor its easy to setup and run an ICM course. Our school is working to implement the ICM course for undergrad and graduate degree students for like forever, and still cant justify amount of $$$$$$ they need to spend on the hardware. Even then we would not charge less than $500 per credit and its 3 credits course+ $200(materials aka NetLabs aka VMs accessible over the Internet).
    There are number of vITA Instructors here on this board, just ask them how much does the course cost at their school/college.
    This is a good investment, given that you are going to get the VCP exam.