Options

Inexpensive VMware Training Options

Comments

• Options
    dabadaba Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jbrown, the class at Stanly is $180 plus 42 for the book.
  • Options
    I'm guessing the 80% requirement is somehow tied to watching 80% of the videos and completing the labs.
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    daba wrote: »
    I'm guessing the 80% requirement is somehow tied to watching 80% of the videos and completing the labs.

/off topic

of have this guy watch it for you for for 5th of the price. Verizon Business Security Blog » Blog Archive » Case Study: Pro-active Log Review Might Be A Good Idea
  • Options
    I would just like to ***** about Stanly Community College charging $17 to ship the book. Unless that thing is being sent overnight, there is no reason for that price. Books can be mailed media rate.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Still a paltry amount of money in the scheme of things. But I agree that price is excessive.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    Has anyone else signed up for the Stanly class? If so, have you received any other info besides just your login info. From what it looks like we won't know anything else until the very first day of class.
  • Options
    -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    Hopefully you guys update us on your progress with the Stanly class. I been thinking of taking the VCP, but just couldn't afford it. Now its on my target list :D
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Started the VMware vSphere 5.1 Install, Manage and Configure class at CCC&TI last night. So far, I'm impressed by the setup and the instructors seem really nice.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Very nice. Keep that feedback coming.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The only problem with CCCT&I is you need to be tuned in when the lecture is being delivered. UCSC on the other hand has pre-recorded ones that you can listen to when you have the time. UCSC worked for me because of the 14 hour time zone difference. The setup was great too, the instructor responded quickly and was knowledgeable. Takes 2 months to finish, but you get what you pay for!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    The only problem with CCCT&I is you need to be tuned in when the lecture is being delivered. UCSC on the other hand has pre-recorded ones that you can listen to when you have the time. UCSC worked for me because of the 14 hour time zone difference. The setup was great too, the instructor responded quickly and was knowledgeable. Takes 2 months to finish, but you get what you pay for!

You don't *have* to be, they record all the lectures so you can watch them the following day.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I took the class and I'm fairly certain they record attendance, I don't remember it was January of last year when I attended. While you don't have to 'be' there, you have to be logged in and looking like you're there.
  • Options
    crazyITguycrazyITguy Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I signed up at Stanly for the upcoming date. If anyone wants to start a study group pm me and we will get together.
  • Options
    revbillygrevbillyg Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nv found it

bummer... class is full...
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    icon_lol.gif I'd bet it's the majority of people on this thread that filled up the seats. Sorry. Maybe next time.
  • Options
    crazyITguycrazyITguy Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    They're offering a 2nd online course at Stanly, just registered, only charged me $70 to register.

Course Name and Title - CAS-300039-102 (2059) VMware vSphere:Inst, Conf, Mg

03/12/2013-04/30/2013 Classroom Hours Days to be Announced, Times to be AnnouncedVirtual, Room ONL

Important Information:Registration and Lab fees ($180.00) due at registration. Textbook to be purchased prior to the start of class. This class is conducted entirely online.

03/12/13 - 04/30/13

Instructor - D. Poplin
  • Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    Mikdilly wrote: »
    Course Name and Title - CAS-300039-102 (2059) VMware vSphere:Inst, Conf, Mg

03/12/2013-04/30/2013 Classroom Hours Days to be Announced, Times to be AnnouncedVirtual, Room ONL

Is "live" attendance required for this online course? Can you watch the course on demand later?
  • Options
    Is "live" attendance required for this online course? Can you watch the course on demand later?

From a previous post:

"So if anyone else is following this I finally found a great deal for the Install, Configure, Manage class online. It is through Stanly Community College in North Carolina. The cost of the course is $180 + $43 for the required text book. The book must be an in-house book or something because even googling the ISBN nothing comes up.

Also they don't charge tuition for out of state students since it is considered a continuing education course and not for college credit. I spoke with the instructor through email and they are part of the VMWare IT academy so completion of the course will make you eligible for the VCP cert. Also the lectures are pre-recorded so he described it as essentially an 8 week self-paced course with all the labs online as well."

I just emailed one of the instructors, Honeycutt, to double check this. Waiting for reply
  • Options
    codiercodier Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone send me the link for the VCP course at Stanly? I couldn't find it.
    nevermind I found it.

Are these course available for people from Canada?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    See that you found it, but for future reference: VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage

Also, if you go to Stanly's site and search "vmware" it is the first hit that comes up.
  • Options
    taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    No live attendance is required for the Stanly class. It is totally asynchronous.
  • Options
    Thanks cyberguypr,

Any idea for people from Canada to take this course?
    I am wondering like how to prove to vmware that I am done the course. I am concern if I finish the course but somehow didn't get any certificate about finishing this course then how can I prove to vmware?
  • Options
    No live attendance is required for the Stanly class. It is totally asynchronous.

Thanks for the info. This is a good news for full time worker like me.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the vmware course attendees (those that have registered for the course), are considered "Students" of the college? I'd like to know if I should or must set up the @stanly.edu at all.

It's not clear where (email address) and when the instructor will start communicating course materials.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just signed up for the Stanly VCP course and have the receipt but didn't get a email or even a link to where I sign-in. Did any of you get one and ifso what the link to the site?
  • Options
    I signed up 2 hours ago and was the 39th of 40 seats between the two courses, now there are 5 available seats? Did those people know something we don't know?

After I signed up and paid, 2 emails arrived at my @yahoo.com inbox. one was the class/payment acknowledgement, the other contained a one time password.

The uid and pwd only let one use the "WebAdvisor" interface.
  • Options
    Thats exactly what I thought. I'm currently on hold with them as I still can't login to WebAdvisor. They reset my password as the password that I was sent didnt work, they reset it and it then prompted me to change my password but then their system didnt kept throwing a error that it wasn't able to update my password at this time, so I'll have top wait until later today to try it.
  • Options
    Anyone else get charged $70 when registering, got a message on answering machine at home to call the school. Student id and default password wouldn't work either.
  • Options
    Mikdilly wrote: »
    Anyone else get charged $70 when registering, got a message on answering machine at home to call the school. Student id and default password wouldn't work either.

I got charged the $180. My initial username and password wern't even correct so contacted support to get my correct username and had them reset my password but then it wouldnt let me set my password and said to try again later. I went ahead and tried it again when I got home and it then said that I didnt have permission to change my password so now im waiting for their admins to look into it.