Options

Inexpensive VMware Training Options

Comments

• Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    crazyITguy wrote: »
    That makes three of us. I got my confirmation of shipping today as well. Myself and Taternuts are going to try and build a study group if anyone is interested.

Just got my book ship confirmation too. Where you you meet for the study group?
  • Options
    MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    crazyITguy wrote: »
    That makes three of us. I got my confirmation of shipping today as well. Myself and Taternuts are going to try and build a study group if anyone is interested.

Would like to join group if you've got room. Thanks
  • Options
    lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is this book available outside the schools?
    Like Amazon or some such nonsense?
  • Options
    taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    @lunchbox67 - No, the book is only available from the school. They order it directly from VMWare and it's not available at any other retailers.

@forestgiant and @mkdilly - We aren't meeting in person and currently just conversing through text. If we get more people together we could possibly do Skype for IM or even video chat or however else you want to communicate. Feel free to PM me if you want to exchange info.
  • Options
    codiercodier Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got e-mail too. it's gonna cost me $24 for shipping. >_<
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    Inexpensive Vmware Training Options... 4 words that are never in that order in a sentence before lol i had to make the joke.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all, I am new to the forums; and I just signed up for the VMware ICM starting on March 12th with D. Poplin.

My question is, how do you buy the required textbook? They only charged me $180 for the class and there was no option for the textbook.

I clicked on the "Click here for prices of required textbook(s) and supplies" link on the Section Information page; but the link took me to a page that said, "**** Unable to find the specified course ****"

I might have to call them on Monday.
  • Options
    montypoonmontypoon Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @codir - hey i noticed u 're from canada applying stanley college, so how do you register by online? i also from canada and am just trying to enrol but the form has rejected me from submission.
  • Options
    Haswell wrote: »
    Hi all, I am new to the forums; and I just signed up for the VMware ICM starting on March 12th with D. Poplin.

My question is, how do you buy the required textbook? They only charged me $180 for the class and there was no option for the textbook.

I clicked on the "Click here for prices of required textbook(s) and supplies" link on the Section Information page; but the link took me to a page that said, "**** Unable to find the specified course ****"

I might have to call them on Monday.

Just go to stanly.edu, click on Bookstore(lower right), click Buy Books Online(left side), click Text Books and Course Materials(bottom), term is CE Spring 2013, dept is CAS, course is 300039, section is 101, the book page should then pop up.

Ordered mine, didn't say it was on backorder.
  • Options
    Mikdilly wrote: »
    Just go to stanly.edu, click on Bookstore(lower right), click Buy Books Online(left side), click Text Books and Course Materials(bottom), term is CE Spring 2013, dept is CAS, course is 300039, section is 101, the book page should then pop up.

Ordered mine, didn't say it was on backorder.

Great, thanks! :D
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Book should look like this. That is if they're still going to use the 5.0 book and not the 5.1.

Can someone please confirm when they receive the book ordered for the Stanly class? I think my co-worker has this version. It is two books with 14 modules.
  • Options
    Are we going to be using the book for the class? It's almost $60 with shipping, I am not apposed to buying it, I just want to make sure that we will be using it for the class. The last thing I would want is to buy the book and not need it for the class. Several times in college that happened to me.

Why buy a book (regardless of the price) if we're not going use it for the class?
  • Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    Are we going to be using the book for the class?

Well, consider that 1) the class is required by VMware, 2) uses a book by VMware, 3) book is structured by lessons, 4) cannot be bought from any independent reseller, and 5) it's an online class where you won't be able to physically share the book with a colleague, and there's no known e-book version of the text, it's safe to say the book is required and will be used to disseminate learning outcomes . Granted if it's several hundred dollars I'd think twice, but in this case it's not that bad. It's a professional development/career course so potential for advancement is high.

EDIT: there's a vbk version of the text, but it's tied to the reader software (DRM heavy).
  • Options
    Well, consider that 1) the class is required by VMware, 2) uses a book by VMware, 3) book is structured by lessons, 4) cannot be bought from any independent reseller, and 5) it's an online class where you won't be able to physically share the book with a colleague, and there's no known e-book version of the text, it's safe to say the book is required and will be used to disseminate learning outcomes . Granted if it's several hundred dollars I'd think twice, but in this case it's not that bad. It's a professional development/career course so potential for advancement is high.

EDIT: there's a vbk version of the text, but it's tied to the reader software (DRM heavy).

Thanks! :D
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why buy a book (regardless of the price) if we're not going use it for the class?
    The instructor is supposed to use the books for the class, otherwise they may get in trouble with VMware. I took the ICM at another community college and we used the books extensively. When the course is over, you can sell the books on eBay and break even (at least).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    pusherpusher Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When someone received the books, please take a photo and post it. This is highly likely that it's the same material used by other ICM classes and might look like the photo networkjutsu posted on post #145 in this thread. I'm in the same shoe with another poster here where my co-workers got them.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pusher wrote: »
    When someone received the books, please take a photo and post it. This is highly likely that it's the same material used by other ICM classes and might look like the photo networkjutsu posted on post #145 in this thread. I'm in the same shoe with another poster here where my co-workers got them.
    For the VAP course I took (ICM on vSphere 4.0), the books had a different color cover than the books from the standard boot camp course, but the content was identical.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    SheppyHSheppyH Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

I have also joined the training with D.Poplin! Would be interested in joining the study group too.

Does anyone know if the training is for vSphere 5.0 or 5.1? The book title suggests 5.0

Cheers and best of luck to all!

Harry
  • Options
    dabadaba Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DPG wrote: »
    Can someone please confirm when they receive the book ordered for the Stanly class? I think my co-worker has this version. It is two books with 14 modules.

I received 3 physical books. They have green covers and are spiral bound. Two of them are informational and the third is for the labs.
  • Options
    dabadaba Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SheppyH wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have also joined the training with D.Poplin! Would be interested in joining the study group too.

Does anyone know if the training is for vSphere 5.0 or 5.1? The book title suggests 5.0

Harry

I'm guessing it's only 5.0. The 5.1 books, say 5.1
  • Options
    pusherpusher Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    daba wrote: »
    I received 3 physical books. They have green covers and are spiral bound. Two of them are informational and the third is for the labs.

Hey daba, can you please confirm the info below?

Book 1:
    VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage
    Student Manual - Volume 1
    ESXi 5.0 and vCenter Server 5.0
    Table of Content: Module 1 -7

Book 2:
    VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage
    Student Manual - Volume 2
    Table of Content: Module 7-14

Book 3:
    VMware vSphere: Overview
    Student Laboratory Exercises
    Table of Content: Lab 1 - Lab 7
  • Options
    as you may or may not know, we will get a exam discount voucher from this course. but anyone know what's the percentage of the discount is this?
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    codier wrote: »
    as you may or may not know, we will get a exam discount voucher from this course. but anyone know what's the percentage of the discount is this?

I was looking to findout the same and found a post on here from last year from someone claiming to get a 70% discount voucher after taking the VCP5 exam http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/74532-vcp-5-exam-discount-voucher-finished-vmware-5-course-through-cccti.html#post609312
    thus bringing the price down to around $67 USD, but id like someone to confirm if possible
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, it is true!! Stanly does offer the VMware class at a great value. I am the Business, Career, & Technology Director for Stanly CC, and we have had wonderful success offering this course under the umbrella of Continuing Education. The course tuition and lab fees total $180. The cost of the book is $42.35 plus tax for a total of $45.21. I am checking with our book store on the shipping fees to students.

The course is offered completely online. The course material, recorded lectures, and labs are available 24/7. Your instructor is available through the LMS system & responds to student questions & requests within 24 hrs or sooner! We may be a small community college by some standards, but we are high on Technology!!

We offer the VMware class in our Spring & Fall semesters, and this year we are offering it in the Summer. Both sections of the remaining Spring classes are full, but we plan to start the Summer class May 20th. We already have a wait-list for this next class.

Please keep checking our website!! www.stanly.edu You can register online, or you can contact our Eagle's One Stop to register by phone: 704-991-0123 or onestop@stanly.edu. If you have any other questions, I will be glad to assist you.
    -Sylvia Lewis
    Stanly CC
    704-982-0121
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I did the VCP course at UCSC and the discount was 70%.

Howlong did it take for you to get your discount and was the final price around $67 ?
  • Options
    NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DPG wrote: »

My book is to be delivered tomorrow; just got shipping confirm from UPS.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We got it towards the end of the course, you had to have completed a certain percentage of the course in order to receive it, if I remember correctly. It was €65 for the exam for me, which is in and around the same percentage discount that it would be in the US at a guess.
  • Options
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I was looking to findout the same and found a post on here from last year from someone claiming to get a 70% discount voucher after taking the VCP5 exam http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/74532-vcp-5-exam-discount-voucher-finished-vmware-5-course-through-cccti.html#post609312
    thus bringing the price down to around $67 USD, but id like someone to confirm if possible

I guess we have to finish the course first then notify vmware and then, wait for the e-mail?
    also I think it was 70% because vmware delayed the sending so they compensate the 70% off coupon.
  • Options
    SheppyH wrote: »
    Hi all,

Harry

From the school's website:

Course Description:
    This on-line training course explores installation, configuration, and management of VMware® vSphere™, which consists of VMware ESXi™ and VMware vCenter™ Server. Upon completion of this course, the student can take the examination to become a VMware Certified Professional. The course is based on ESXi 5, and vCenter Server 5

What i'd like to know is, is the exam on 5 or 5.1?