Options

Inexpensive VMware Training Options

Comments

• Options
    taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    @Mikdilly - The exam is actually based on vSpehere 5.x. Essentially what that means (and this comes from one of the VMWare instructors here on the forums) is that all questions on the exam could be answered the same for 5.0 or 5.1 or a future 5.x release if it comes out.
  • Options
    codiercodier Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nutsacjac wrote: »
    My book is to be delivered tomorrow; just got shipping confirm from UPS.
    I didn't get anything from courier. The lady from the bookstore told me I will get it after 3 business days.
  • Options
    crazyITguycrazyITguy Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So we should expect to get logins/addresses/ etc between now and the 13th?
  • Options
    HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just got a call from Stanly CC, they needed a valid email address to send me the login info. I should be getting it within the next 10-20 minutes. The person who called said that I won't be able to access the virtual classroom until the 12th.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haswell wrote: »
    I just got a call from Stanly CC, they needed a valid email address to send me the login info. I should be getting it within the next 10-20 minutes. The person who called said that I won't be able to access the virtual classroom until the 12th.

I just got that same call from them and expect to get my credentials soon
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Same here. I'm excited to start the class.
  • Options
    crazyITguycrazyITguy Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just got my login from the college with instructions
  • Options
    HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    crazyITguy wrote: »
    Just got my login from the college with instructions

Same here. :D
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It looks like we can't login until the 1st day of class:

Your Moodle account does not exist or is missing critical information. Please contact the Stanly Community College help desk for assistance.
  • Options
    dabadaba Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pusher wrote: »
    Hey daba, can you please confirm the info below?

Book 1:
    VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage
    Student Manual - Volume 1
    ESXi 5.0 and vCenter Server 5.0
    Table of Content: Module 1 -7

Book 2:
    VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage
    Student Manual - Volume 2
    Table of Content: Module 7-14

Book 3:
    VMware vSphere: Overview
    Student Laboratory Exercises
    Table of Content: Lab 1 - Lab 7

the lab book has 21 labs.
  • Options
    SheppyHSheppyH Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I started the course today.

Has anyone else noticed that Lab0 is already completed (ie ESX2 is already installed and configured when booting the pod)? As is vCenter

Harry
  • Options
    SheppyH wrote: »
    So I started the course today.

Has anyone else noticed that Lab0 is already completed (ie ESX2 is already installed and configured when booting the pod)? As is vCenter

Harry

I guess ill have to look at that as soon as I get out work. What do you think about how they have the class setup?
  • Options
    lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cool, this is the part I am looking forward to ... class reviews!
    The system, the material, the instruction ...
  • Options
    I started one on pod4 - i was originally on pod1 and someone got to it first it seems and configured esx2, vcenter and installed vsphere client... seems the pod doesnt refresh when its someone elses turn. Might need to keep your eye on that.

The material is the slides in the book with a tutor talking over the top, which is okay, not amazing, I get the feeling that this course will leave me hardly prepared - but I hear that about all VMware ICM courses - you need to do a lot of your own work and research.

Make sure you read the text in the VMware books under each slide for more details - the instructor does not go into a lot of detail.

This is early days anyway I have only done up to installing the vSphere client so nothing technical really.
  • Options
    Okay I have worked out (by looking at the scroll bar) that there are 22 pods! So we should each have our own pod!

Don't pick a pod someone has used or you will load from where they left of.

It seems.

Harry
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    revbillyg wrote: »
    nv found it

bummer... class is full...

Summer class starts 05/20/2013. Call 704-991-0123 to register by telephone.:)
  • Options
    codiercodier Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I guess the website is down now?
  • Options
    codier wrote: »
    I guess the website is down now?

"Greetings to All Students:

This is to advise you that the connection providing access to all of Stanly Community College online resources such as Moodle, Webadvisor, the SCC website and all other online resources will not be available starting mid-night Tuesday night until 6am Wednesday morning.

Our internet service provider will be taking the line down for necessary repairs on the fiber optic cable. We apologize for any inconvenience but unfortunately damage to the fiber optic cabling necessitates these repairs.

If you have any questions about how this may impact your online course work, please consult your online instructor.

Again, our apology for the service interruption.cleardot.gif"

I guess they started early
  • Options
    Funny, I was going to say perhaps the line broke early - and that is just the case :P
  • Options
    MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    Okay I have worked out (by looking at the scroll bar) that there are 22 pods! So we should each have our own pod!

Don't pick a pod someone has used or you will load from where they left of.

It seems.

Harry

This should be better organized, each student should have their own assigned pod and be only password accessible. Maybe STANLY_CC can make that happen.
  • Options
    Mikdilly wrote: »
    This should be better organized, each student should have their own assigned pod and be only password accessible. Maybe STANLY_CC can make that happen.

Each student is assigned his/her own NetLabs account, and within that account each student is assigned his/her own pod. No one else should have access to your pod.
  • Options
    Hopefully everyone in the SCC classes has been able to log in the class!
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This thread just blew my mind. I never knew that I could possibly obtain my VCP because of the $3k pricetag on the certified VMware training... I might just have to sign up for this once I finish CISSP. I don't even use VMware with my current job now but the knowledge and certification are extremely valuable to have.
  • Options
    nhuneycuttnhuneycutt Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They do have their own pod, if there is a problem, the student should let the instructor know. I am the instructor for the class.
  • Options
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    Each student is assigned his/her own NetLabs account, and within that account each student is assigned his/her own pod. No one else should have access to your pod.

It seems all students have access to all pods (I can see all 22 pods). Thought I would be clever and pick the last pod furthest to the right to avoid sharing, and someone currently has it booked. Hoped that I could resume from where I was yesterday on another pod but this is not the case - I am back to square one, also someone will be struggling with the pod I used last as I put passwords on the nodes to prevent this. Can't prevent someone reserving your pod though.

This needs fixing STANLY_CC!

Thanks
  • Options
    I started one on pod4 - i was originally on pod1 and someone got to it first it seems and configured esx2, vcenter and installed vsphere client... seems the pod doesnt refresh when its someone elses turn. Might need to keep your eye on that.

The material is the slides in the book with a tutor talking over the top, which is okay, not amazing, I get the feeling that this course will leave me hardly prepared - but I hear that about all VMware ICM courses - you need to do a lot of your own work and research.

Make sure you read the text in the VMware books under each slide for more details - the instructor does not go into a lot of detail.

This is early days anyway I have only done up to installing the vSphere client so nothing technical really.

If you are having problems with the labs, let myself or your instructor know. Yes, I did general comments and content when I did the narrations, if you want more, ask a question, it is a class. If you take the training from VMware at $4,000, which I have, it's basically the same format, the present slides through Web-Ex, and talk, then you break out and do the labs. I had the idea to record the powerpoint slides, that would allow students to view the lectures at their own time, asynchronously.

As far as getting you ready for the test? No. For example, I know that the test will ask for some command line solutions, and there are no command line options even explored in the labs. This class is designed to get you familiar with VMware, use it, then get certified.
  • Options

Reservation 10196

Reservation Type
    Individual Self Study for Class

Class Name
    CAS-300039-102-2013CE1-Poplin-OL

Exercise Name
    Lab 2: Configuring VMware ESXi

Equipment Pod
    VMware ICM Pod28

Reserved For
    John, Harry (hjohnxxxx)

Time Zone
    (GMT+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

Start Time
    Wed Mar 13, 2013 18:40

End Time
    Wed Mar 13, 2013 20:00

Initial Configuration
    no configs loaded (clean)

Here is the setup when I run Lab 2 - shouldn't the "Initial Configuration" be something like "last saved" - I notice I have the following folder in my NETLAB+ File Manager (click file manager next to the scheduler):

E.gif .LAST_SAVED_NDGICM2E1VAV_0011_25AA_EDB0_4CD2_C6E2
    config folder

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:50PM

• Options
    nhuneycutt wrote: »
    If you are having problems with the labs, let myself or your instructor know. Yes, I did general comments and content when I did the narrations, if you want more, ask a question, it is a class. If you take the training from VMware at $4,000, which I have, it's basically the same format, the present slides through Web-Ex, and talk, then you break out and do the labs. I had the idea to record the powerpoint slides, that would allow students to view the lectures at their own time, asynchronously.

As far as getting you ready for the test? No. For example, I know that the test will ask for some command line solutions, and there are no command line options even explored in the labs. This class is designed to get you familiar with VMware, use it, then get certified.

Hi,

I've dropped Dustin an email - hopefully we can get it sorted - sorry originally I was not sure exactly how the labs were supposed to behave.

I heard from colleagues the VMware training is the same format as this course - my point really was that although the course is incredibly inexpensive it doesn't make it a particularly easy qualification to get as you say in all VMware courses, online or at VMware training it will not leave you prepared for the test.

Certainly nothing wrong with the course at Stanly so far I am very impressed with the delivery of the course given the price I paid - despide the lab issue :)

Harry
  • Options
    Hi,

I've dropped Dustin an email - hopefully we can get it sorted - sorry originally I was not sure exactly how the labs were supposed to behave.

I heard from colleagues the VMware training is the same format as this course - my point really was that although the course is incredibly inexpensive it doesn't make it a particularly easy qualification to get as you say in all VMware courses, online or at VMware training it will not leave you prepared for the test.

Certainly nothing wrong with the course at Stanly so far I am very impressed with the delivery of the course given the price I paid - despide the lab issue :)

Harry

I'll even tell students that it does not prepare you for the test, VMware says course plus 6 months experience. But this is the same content VMware uses, I've done the VMware course from VMware, and I promise you, it's the same. If you want to go into more detail, that is not covered, ask your instructor, they will be more than happy to tell you more.
  • Options
    qcezwadxsqcezwadxs Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I just registered for the course in Stanly CC for 20th May, 2013. But I had some questions in my mind and hope someone would be kind enough to answer.

So I got the username and password as soon as I registered. But I can't sign in webadvisor. Says invalid username and password. So do I have to wait for first day of the class to actually start using the webadvisor and moodle?

Also, I have the book as hand-me-downs from my manager for the exact same course. Would that work? Is it mandatory to buy books?

Also, does this course come with the voucher as the USCS-Extension to bring down the price to $67? Or do we have pay the full price for $225?

How does VMWare know we attended the course and give us due credit for the certification?

Do we get a certificate once we complete the course?

Thank You very much!!