Options

Inexpensive VMware Training Options

Comments

• Options
    taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    Looks like they got the Pod situation figured out. I was assigned Pod #1 and it's the only one I can see.

@qcezwadxs - There is no information available until the first day of class per a law in NC that prohibits them from giving any early access. Perhaps someone else can answer the other questions you have.
  • Options
    HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    qcezwadxs wrote: »

So I got the username and password as soon as I registered. But I can't sign in webadvisor. Says invalid username and password. So do I have to wait for first day of the class to actually start using the webadvisor and moodle?

You can't login until the first day of class.

Also, I have the book as hand-me-downs from my manager for the exact same course. Would that work? Is it mandatory to buy books?

Class just started yesterday, and so far we haven't used the book yet. Since you have the book as a hand me down, I am sure you'll be okay.

Also, does this course come with the voucher as the USCS-Extension to bring down the price to $67? Or do we have pay the full price for $225?

You have to pay the full $225 for the exam.

How does VMWare know we attended the course and give us due credit for the certification?

Good question, sadly I don't know.

Do we get a certificate once we complete the course?

I don't know.
  • Options
    nhuneycuttnhuneycutt Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For everyone's information, I'm Nick Huneycutt, I'm the lead instructor for Stanly Community College's VMware IT Academy. Stanly is a Regional VMware IT Academy. The vSphere 5.0: ICM class does count towards VCP5. During the course, students fill out a VMware registration form. After successful completion of the course, I then register the students on VMware's mylearn site, this is what tracks your progress towards VCP certification.

We are still teaching 5.0, when 5.1 is compatible with our virtual lab system, I'll teach 5.1, but 5.0 still satisfies the VCP5 status, you'll have questions from 5.0 and 5.1 on the test.

Yes, towards the end of the class, I will give each student a voucher code to use with PearsonVUE, that is given to me per my VMware Instructor status. That voucher is good until the end of the year, for now, until I get a new one later in the year, and it is good for 70% off.

Yes, we have a state law, you cannot login until the day class starts, and we keep in contact with you on how to login and when.

I hope this clarifies some questions. We are upgrading our lab system, I'm looking forward to being able to do more than 40 students for our summer session, so everyone feel free to register.
  • Options
    qcezwadxsqcezwadxs Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nhuneycutt wrote: »
    For everyone's information, I'm Nick Huneycutt, I'm the lead instructor for Stanly Community College's VMware IT Academy. Stanly is a Regional VMware IT Academy. The vSphere 5.0: ICM class does count towards VCP5. During the course, students fill out a VMware registration form. After successful completion of the course, I then register the students on VMware's mylearn site, this is what tracks your progress towards VCP certification.

We are still teaching 5.0, when 5.1 is compatible with our virtual lab system, I'll teach 5.1, but 5.0 still satisfies the VCP5 status, you'll have questions from 5.0 and 5.1 on the test.

Yes, towards the end of the class, I will give each student a voucher code to use with PearsonVUE, that is given to me per my VMware Instructor status. That voucher is good until the end of the year, for now, until I get a new one later in the year, and it is good for 70% off.

Yes, we have a state law, you cannot login until the day class starts, and we keep in contact with you on how to login and when.

I hope this clarifies some questions. We are upgrading our lab system, I'm looking forward to being able to do more than 40 students for our summer session, so everyone feel free to register.

Thank you Mr. Huneycutt. I appreciate the response!!! Clears up all my doubt!!! Information for other users - there are only 9 seats left on section-200. Quick!!!
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I think I will register for the summer session, thank you for keeping everyone up to date Nick!
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I want to register from Canada, what do I do for the required 'County' field? I think this has been asked but is this completely self paced?
  • Options
    scottz01scottz01 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    qcezwadxs - I too have registered for the 5/20/2013 session. I was able to log into WebAdvisor, change my password, and see the main menu for Stanly. No Course documentation as the class has yet to start for us.
    You should have received an email with your User ID (for webadvisor) and a temp password that requires you to change it on first log on. You actually receive 2 ID's when registering. A STUDENT ID and a USER ID. The 'Class/Payment Acknowledgement' email (instant_enroll {at} stanly /dot/ edu) should contain your USER ID at the bottom, near the course description. The 2nd email was a WebAdvisor email (webadvisor {at} stanly /dot/ edu) containing the temp password. Hope that helps. maybe check spam filter if you didn't receive them.
  • Options
    scottz01scottz01 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bloogen - I didn't see any questions/answers in the thread for registration in regards to Stanly's course. You may want to contact them via phone in the morning to expedite the registration, if questions are holding you up. Looks like the next session is filling up quickly. Over half the seats taken in 2 days!
    704-991-0123 was posted earlier. 704-991-0257 is a number I received with my registration as well.
  • Options
    HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bloogen wrote: »
    If I want to register from Canada, what do I do for the required 'County' field? I think this has been asked but is this completely self paced?

I just picked a county and I didn't have any issues.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Just registered for the May course. Wish I had gotten in for March but o well.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    Bloogen wrote: »
    I'll double check with registration today. I've taught several students from Canada, so I know registration is not an issue. It is completely self paced to an extent. What I do, in order to make sure the class meets the requirements we have to meet so that North Carolina will support us, is I only open the first 3 modules the first week. The second week, I open 2 or 3 more, depending on how the class has been doing. The third week, I open all 12 modules, this keeps it under the NC policies, but as far as that goes, you can do it anytime, anywhere.
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    nhuneycutt wrote: »
    you'll have questions from 5.0 and 5.1 on the test.

That's not the case - the items in the current exam are agnostic across 5.0 and 5.1 - you will only see items on features/configurations common to both versions.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    scott28tt wrote: »
    That's not the case - the items in the current exam are agnostic across 5.0 and 5.1 - you will only see items on features/configurations common to both versions.
    Good to know, I haven't taken 5.1, only 5.0, but my student's are not having a problem passing the exam.
  • Options
    qcezwadxsqcezwadxs Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    scottz01 wrote: »
    qcezwadxs - I too have registered for the 5/20/2013 session. I was able to log into WebAdvisor, change my password, and see the main menu for Stanly. No Course documentation as the class has yet to start for us.
    You should have received an email with your User ID (for webadvisor) and a temp password that requires you to change it on first log on. You actually receive 2 ID's when registering. A STUDENT ID and a USER ID. The 'Class/Payment Acknowledgement' email (instant_enroll {at} stanly /dot/ edu) should contain your USER ID at the bottom, near the course description. The 2nd email was a WebAdvisor email (webadvisor {at} stanly /dot/ edu) containing the temp password. Hope that helps. maybe check spam filter if you didn't receive them.

scottz01 - Thanks! I was able to get to that page.:D
  • Options
    revbillygrevbillyg Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    signed up for the 5/20 class! the class with Huneycutt is full so selected the other class with Poplin. Looking forward to it. time to build a lab setup..im guessing the 200 and 201 class are the exact same thing. description is identical.
  • Options
    lordmorgothlordmorgoth Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've also enrolled in the 5/20 class. I've enrolled via e-mail and received my confirmation with the studentID but I haven't got a mail with the userID for Webadvisor...
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Im in the VMWare class with Stanly.edu for 5/20 as well. Something new to add to my list of training. Just gotta wait for the books....
  • Options
    There are only 2 seats available in the second section on 5/20 now. If it fills, please let me know, my email is nhuneycutt2262@stanly.edu, and I will start a wait list for a third section. I already have a group of 4 on it.
  • Options
    malibubtsmalibubts Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Change that to only 1 seat left. I just registered for the 5/20 class. Looking forward to it!
  • Options
    revbillygrevbillyg Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wow. that's filling up so fast. huge demand. I bet 99 percent are of this forum.
  • Options
    dabadaba Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got 99 problems but inexpensive vcp training ain't one
  • Options
    kmatteskmattes Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Nick, I was in you Feb 15 class at with a buddy from work and we just took our VCP5-DV exams yesterday (both passed). Woohoo!

There are a few more guys here at work who are interested in taking the ICM class too. Do you know when Stanly will be running the next class?
  • Options
    kmattes wrote: »
    Hey Nick, I was in you Feb 15 class at with a buddy from work and we just took our VCP5-DV exams yesterday (both passed). Woohoo!

There are a few more guys here at work who are interested in taking the ICM class too. Do you know when Stanly will be running the next class?

Awesome! Congratulations! Our next classes are starting May 20, we have 2 sections, and have equipment on order, some of the equipment is already in, and I'm hoping to expand it to 4 sections. I'm taking a waiting list, have them email me, nhuneycutt2262@stanly.edu with name, phone number, and email, and I'll add them to the waiting list. Right now, I have 39 on the waiting list, and I'm hoping we can do a fifth section, but I'm not sure if we can handle that or not. After the May classes, we will be offering classes again in August.
  • Options
    FireFireFireFire Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Nick, I sent you an email on Friday asking if you still have space left for May. Are you going to open the 5th class?

Thanks
  • Options
    shirazirshirazir Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd also be in for a 5th class if it comes to be.
  • Options
    SamMerlotteSamMerlotte Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any word on more slots being opened for the May 20th session?
  • Options
    Mr.FixMr.Fix Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    SamMerlotteSamMerlotte Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mr.Fix wrote: »
    I am taking the vmware course through Academy Programmes | Essex | GRA Training for £625.

Are you currently taking this course right now? If so, how is it? I'm in the US, but would very well sign up for this course if it's all the same to vmware and I could still sit for the exam.
  • Options
    Mr.FixMr.Fix Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you currently taking this course right now? If so, how is it? I'm in the US, but would very well sign up for this course if it's all the same to vmware and I could still sit for the exam.

The course is ok. You are able to take the Vmware certification after this course.

There is a mandatory lecture every saturday that you must attend(you need a microphone to be able to ask questions). The lab environment that is used is working good but it is slow. I have also received some prerecorded lectures(the course is divided in 15 different modules, i have received recorded lectures for the first 5 modules and are waiting for the rest...).
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    How do we find out which CCs or Colleges have the course required for VCP?

I've tried searching for some in NYC, but to no avail. Anyone have any guidance on this?
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs