Options

Inexpensive VMware Training Options

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Sounds Good:

The key differentiation of this course is that it is offered online, thus making it location-agnostic.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    instant000 wrote: »
    Sounds Good:

The key differentiation of this course is that it is offered online, thus making it location-agnostic.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch!

Just e-mailed nhunnycutt to be put on the waiting list!

Looking forward to the Fall Semester if not the Summer!
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How do we find out which CCs or Colleges have the course required for VCP?

I've tried searching for some in NYC, but to no avail. Anyone have any guidance on this?

I'm from NYC and I really cannot recommend the Stanly CC course enough. 223 dollars, 8 week course, self study.

You get a voucher for 70% off the exam at the end of the course.
  • Options
    FireFireFireFire Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nutsacjac wrote: »
    I'm from NYC and I really cannot recommend the Stanly CC course enough. 223 dollars, 8 week course, self study.

You get a voucher for 70% off the exam at the end of the course.

I am still waiting for Nick to open the fifth class in May but it seems out of hope...
  • Options
    Reef-TipReef-Tip Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is there anyone here doing the Stanly CC from Australia or outside of America, just wanted to know as there doesn't look like there is any thing like it here in Australia.
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just signed up from Canada.
  • Options
    Bloogen wrote: »
    I just signed up from Canada.

Are you in the waiting list and be able to sign up for the class start in May 20 or just signed up for waiting list?
  • Options
    I am registered to begin the class on May 20.
  • Options
    Lucky!!! Were you in the waiting list before? I am in Hamilton,Canada as well...
  • Options
    I believe so. I had emailed them a while back. Can't remember if they ever got back to me but I think I must have got put on the waiting list. Not sure if my coincidental timing on my follow up emails the day before the announcement had anything to do with it.
  • Options
    Thanks for your update and good luck with your study! And hope Nick will email me later for May 20 class....:P
  • Options
    FireFire wrote: »
    Thanks for your update and good luck with your study! And hope Nick will email me later for May 20 class....:P
    lucky wishes to us both!
  • Options
    shifty1981shifty1981 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So can someone help me out here. I see $180 for the course, a registration fee, and a book fee plus shipping. What's the final total?

And that includes 70% off the exam voucher at the end? That's $157.50 value based on $225 fee for exam.

Anyone know when the next course period starts? Also, can someone confirm whether they gave you remote login capability to a vmware lab environment or we have to build our own?

Thanks!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am taking the class right now. Total for me was $180 as I did not get the books. You'll have access to a full working lab assigned to you. Keep in mind it is a bit slow. Ping nhuneycutt2262@stanly.edu for possible future dates (or wait until he replies here.)
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I am taking the class right now. Total for me was $180 as I did not get the books. You'll have access to a full working lab assigned to you. Keep in mind it is a bit slow. Ping nhuneycutt2262@stanly.edu for possible future dates (or wait until he replies here.)

How did you do the labs without the book? Or did you get a copy elsewhere? Looks like people are selling their used copies on ebay.
  • Options
    Two reasons: First, I know VMware already and work with it on a daily basis. I'm taking the course exclusively to fulfill the training requirement for the VCP and to get the voucher. Second, each lab has a PDF guide with step-by-step instructions. Other here said that the books are not needed. If you are new to VMware you may see some value in getting the books.
  • Options
    shifty1981 wrote: »
    So can someone help me out here. I see $180 for the course, a registration fee, and a book fee plus shipping. What's the final total?

I believe I paid 42 dollars for the books plus shipping... so around 250.
    And that includes 70% off the exam voucher at the end? That's $157.50 value based on $225 fee for exam.

Yep, end of course you'll get a voucher. I believe I paid 67 bucks to schedule the exam(July 13th, wish me luck!)

Anyone know when the next course period starts?

No idea.
    Also, can someone confirm whether they gave you remote login capability to a vmware lab environment or we have to build our own?

Yes, you get access to your own lab to do the exercises.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Two reasons: First, I know VMware already and work with it on a daily basis. I'm taking the course exclusively to fulfill the training requirement for the VCP and to get the voucher. Second, each lab has a PDF guide with step-by-step instructions. Other here said that the books are not needed. If you are new to VMware you may see some value in getting the books.

Yeah I've got to co-sign this. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't buy the books from the school and put that money towards a copy of Mastering VMware vSphere 5.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I've been working with hyperv for a while and vmware on and off. new job has me managing 2 clusters (each 3x) plus a test system on site plus helping other sites with their own issues so I figured it would be a good time to get some formal training in. was looking at the fast track class with global knowledge but boss is delaying approval due to budget ($5440). That comes with a free ipad or galaxy tab so if he'd pay I'd take it :) But if he bails this looks like a great option. Plus this is self paced. fast track course is 50 hours in 5 days and I don't like to rush things.

According to vmware on their site the fast track course material covers a lot more of the HA/VMotion/FO stuff than this class. Anyone taken the class or have access to the lab books to see how much this course covers of that material? That's why I'm the most raw in my knowledge about it.
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This post on my blog highlights at a high level what Fast Track includes over Install Configure Manage: VMware Training and Certification: New course - vSphere 5: Fast Track

You could also download the course datasheets for both from vmware.com and compare them in more detail.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    scott28tt wrote: »
    This post on my blog highlights at a high level what Fast Track includes over Install Configure Manage: VMware Training and Certification: New course - vSphere 5: Fast Track

You could also download the course datasheets for both from vmware.com and compare them in more detail.

Thanks. Yeah I've seen some good comparisons to the two. One like this too: VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V5.1] vs. VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.1]

The reason I thought this course at Stanley might be different is because it's 80 hours, not 40 and it say it covers: "Manage high availability and data protection using vCenter Server"
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    scott28tt wrote: »

Title of the thread is "inexpensive vmware training options" when your course costs £2k+++ icon_rolleyes.gif
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    Anyone know when the registration date is for the August class? Don't want to miss out again. They seemed to open enrollment about 1-2 months prior to the class starting.
  • Options
    Just checked vmware.stanly.edu for any updates.

If you try to sign up for the waiting list, they only have Oct-Dec and Dec-Jan. Anyone know what happened to the Aug-Oct class? Has it been filled or removed?
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    I just signed up on the waiting list and sent Nick an email and got a response this morning. All 10 remaining classes are currently full and the soonest class to sign up on the waiting list is the January class. He did mention that it's likely not everyone that signed up for the waiting lists for the 10 remaining classes of the year would attend so some spots would open but I imagine it's going to go in order as people signed up on the wait list, so I went ahead and signed up with the expectation that I'll be doing the course in January but it's possible that I could be in a class sooner.
  • Options
    WagnaardWagnaard Member Posts: 124
    I signed up for the UCSC Extension school course which starts in two weeks. It is 1200, but still thousands cheaper than anywhere else I've found except for the Stanly one, which seems booked solid for months.
  • Options
    mguernseymguernsey Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I signed up for the waiting list with the expectation that the soonest I'll be getting to take the class is in January. Not terribly excited about that, but considering the alternatives I'll happily wait and save a few thousand dollars.
  • Options
    nhuneycuttnhuneycutt Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For any questions regarding the vouchers, Stanly Community College sends you a 70% off voucher for the exam.
    Also, we are doing wait-list only, if you want to register for the wait-list, go to http://vmware.stanly.edu and click on add me to the waitlist. All 20 fall classes are wait-listed, so I have January to March and March to May 2014 as the next available dates. Now, the wait-list is first come, first serve, if someone on the wait-list does not want to register when we call them, we move to the next one in line, so the wait-list records the date you signed up.
  • Options
    nhuneycutt wrote: »
    For any questions regarding the vouchers, Stanly Community College sends you a 70% off voucher for the exam.
    Also, we are doing wait-list only, if you want to register for the wait-list, go to http://vmware.stanly.edu and click on add me to the waitlist. All 20 fall classes are wait-listed, so I have January to March and March to May 2014 as the next available dates. Now, the wait-list is first come, first serve, if someone on the wait-list does not want to register when we call them, we move to the next one in line, so the wait-list records the date you signed up.

So registrations are done via phone calls? I thought they were coming by e-mail.

If by phone, when should we start expecting calls?
  • Options
    Mr. Huneycutt may be using "call" loosely. I did everything online. Got an email back in April saying "If you are still interested in taking this class, please complete the enclosed registration form and return to me by either email or fax (704-991-0126). If you have not responded by 5:00pm(EST), Thursday, May 2nd, we will remove your name from the wait list."