Options

Degree Done, New Job Offer!

Finally it looks like things are starting to come together for me.

Last week I finished my MIS degree with a 3.4 final GPA.

Also, I just got offered a Systems Administrator position for a very well known firm that is willing to pay for any Microsoft exam that I take as well as pay for me to take a week or two per year of classes at Microsoft itself. I'm still working on negotiating a bit higher pay but am confident that we'll be able to make it work. This was the first time I've ever counter-offered an offer so we'll see how it goes.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to give two-weeks notice while leaving on good terms. From everything I've seen, my current employer always lets people go the day they give notice but because of the need for my position they might make an exception.

Overall it feels great to be out in the market again a degree and people actually wanting me. I can't wait to start this new job and feel like I have an actual career for once.

Comments

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Now I'm trying to figure out how to give two-weeks notice while leaving on good terms. From everything I've seen, my current employer always lets people go the day they give notice but because of the need for my position they might make an exception.
    "I need to give my current employer 2 weeks notice. In the past, they've let people go that same day, so I may be available to start earlier than 2 weeks if that's possible."

Worst case scenario, you get 2 weeks unexpected vacation to not think about IT. Take care of some stuff that you've been putting off because of school/cert studies.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Worst case scenario, you get 2 weeks unexpected vacation to not think about IT. Take care of some stuff that you've been putting off because of school/cert studies.

I'm actually hoping this is how it goes. I don't really want to stick around for two really awkward weeks.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm actually hoping this is how it goes. I don't really want to stick around for two really awkward weeks.

Just sucks its two weeks unpaid time off lol.
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Just sucks its two weeks unpaid time off lol.

Actually from everything I've seen, my current employer lets them go WITH two weeks pay.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sweet! Good job and good luck.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually from everything I've seen, my current employer lets them go WITH two weeks pay.
    Great deal IMO.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!, good for you.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats Akari!

Is the MIS a Masters in Information Systems?
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Congrats Akari!

Is the MIS a Masters in Information Systems?

4-year business degree. Management Information Systems.
  • Options
    4-year business degree. Management Information Systems.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification!

Congrats again and best of luck to you in the new job!
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Sounds like you are set.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man. Enjoy your vacation and good luck with the job. I've been at companies that have instituted that same policy for terminating employees once they give their 2 weeks, but they made me work the 2 weeks since they didn't think I'd slack off. I would have had paid vacations in both cases, but oh well.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!

Salary negotiation went well and I accepted the offer.

Giving notice as soon as my boss is available this morning.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□

Have you heard that from the people that left or from your current employer? Doesn't seem to make much sense the company would do that. I know there is the possibility of short timer attitude though and maybe the employer doesn't want people sowing the seeds of discontent.
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Have you heard that from the people that left or from your current employer? Doesn't seem to make much sense the company would do that. I know there is the possibility of short timer attitude though and maybe the employer doesn't want people sowing the seeds of discontent.

We're a small company that deals with a lot of sensitive data under strict government regulations. Sometimes letting people go with pay is cheaper than risking a leak of sensitive data that could easily cost millions.

I'm responsible for removing all access when somebody leaves so I know how the process works. I have a feeling they might make me stick around though.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Congrats man. Enjoy your vacation and good luck with the job. I've been at companies that have instituted that same policy for terminating employees once they give their 2 weeks, but they made me work the 2 weeks since they didn't think I'd slack off. I would have had paid vacations in both cases, but oh well.

It wasn't just the not slacking off. It was that they trusted you enough that you wouldn't run off their physical/data assets or trash their LAN. In these days when an employee could conceivably walk out with a company's whole year of performance data on a USB stick, it pays to only have people in the office you can trust.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    It wasn't just the not slacking off. It was that they trusted you enough that you wouldn't run off their physical/data assets or trash their LAN. In these days when an employee could conceivably walk out with a company's whole year of performance data on a USB stick, it pays to only have people in the office you can trust.

A state entity IT dept was recently told that their jobs were going away in January, out of the blue...when they got back to their desks from the meeting, all of their accounts were disabled...they have a couple weeks of starting at their computers with nothing to do. Pretty messed up, and as such, they didn't want any disgruntled workers dismantling their IT assets icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    Just an update: I will be finishing out my two weeks. They decided to make an exception due to the current shortage of IT staff in house.