Options

So anyone get any good tech gifts this year?

themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
I personally didn't but all that was on my list was cookbooks. I did however buy myself the CCNP Library. My mother of all people got a Kindle Fire and she doesn't even know what to do with it.
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Got Ipad2, does that count?
  • Options
    Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Got an HP server with CUCM on it!
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Kindle 3G. Very nice :)
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Got Ipad2, does that count?

Ditto....icon_cheers.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My sister got an Ipad2 that my nephew gave her. In addition to my Ideapad K1 tablet, I got a gift that should help me peronally...a Technet Professional subscription. (Uncle Sam is going to to give me a slight discount on it for "Professional Subscriptions..." thanks TurboTax! :) )
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wife bought me a fun 27" inch monitor. My zerglings look like ultralisks!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    None. We are anti tech here indoors. We watch TV for a bit of news, perhaps a documentary. Other than that, online for brief chit chat and skype to keep in touch with relatives. No tech presents, kids playing with hands on toys.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    None for me. Then again, I didn't make a list at all :P . Mostly hygienic stuff (as if someones trying to tell me something), a foosball table, and a nice kit to wash my truck.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Don't know if it counts, but got a PS3 and MW3. My other half knows me too well. :)
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    A passing CISSP confirmation email from ISC2. got it on Thursday before xmas but I will take it. Also got an Xbox controller for my PC, and a few books about information security from amazon. All in all not a bad xmas. I also was able to bring some cheer to others by getting some people some needed things. Always better to give then to receive.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I got DDR II for the Wii, does that count?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My wife purchased me an anti-study aid.......Skyrim. It's there but i've told myself no until i finish the 70-646, gotta maintain some from of discipline around here. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nikon D3100 /w twin lens kit :D always wanted a DSLR icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    dontstop wrote: »
    Nikon D3100 /w twin lens kit :D always wanted a DSLR icon_cheers.gif

I finally bought myself a DSL for X-mas Which like I've always wanted. Got a Canon 7D with the 28-135 USM IS lens. Going to be getting a flash next. Between tech and now photography I think I need to take up knitting and\or find cheaper hobbies..

One of my 1st pics taken

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Extended Battery for my cell phone (Droid Bionic)
    Car Mounting Unit for my cell phone
    Gears of War 3
    Modern Warfare 3
    Hard drive for my laptop

Some other stuff, but those were the tech related things. Went on a killing spree and finished both games in 15 hours (on easy obviously), though Gears took about 9 hours by myself between bathroom breaks.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got an Alesis Control Pad, that's sorta techie.

Other stuff was not techie. :)
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I only gave tech gifts this year, none received. I bought three Nook Tablets with my SIL's employee discount of 40% for my kids; I saved $300 on the set. I picked up a Kindle Touch 3G for my grandma at Target utilizing a $10 off $100 coupon and two $10 gift certificates that I got from strategic grocery shopping a few weeks ago. I opted for the 3G for her because I don't know if she will always have Internet access. She currently has it, but no WiFi. She is an avid reader, so I figured that this would be great for her... type size can be increased for easy visibility, eInk is super easy on the eyes, and there are tons of free books out there in addition to inexpensive newer books from authors that she enjoys, like Stephen King.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    I got a Lilliput 7" monitor, which is simply awesome, and a few shirts from ThinkGeek. The rest of my gifts were definitely non-tech but much more awesome. My wife outdid herself this year.

I did get her a Kindle w/ WiFi. She's already loaded up about 50 books and is working on a book by Tolstoy. I think I may have created a monster. She also got several movies she's been wanting (Harry Potter Ultimate Editions Year 5/6 and Daria: The Complete Series).
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I got a little 2GB iPod Nano that I can clip to my shirt while I go to the gym, (as well as a really nice new gym bag to boot,) but nothing that particularly screams IT technology. Well, alright, I did get a $100 gift certificate to Cigar.com, which I consider IT-related since walking around town late at night smoking a cigar is my way of blowing off steam after a long day of fighting with servers. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    We were 'tech-free' here this year too.

I received a few handmade gifts (which were cool) and we're finishing up a couple re-decorating projects and installing new bookcases, so most of our budget was invested in paint, flooring and bookcases. (yep, no e-reading in this house ;) ).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bought my kids a couple of games for the PS3, but I received nothing technical.

Only booze and cigars.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I was fortunate enough to get an Isight (web cam) for the Mac Pro and won a Kindle Fire from my company's Christmas party bingo game. My folks got me a new shuttle barebones kit with an I7 2600 to host some VMs. On a non tech note, I was given a copy of Roger Sterlings "Sterling's Gold" and an old first printing of "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" along with some other things.

I got some memory cards for my wife and a new super small P&S Canon camera for her as well. Also, the family pitched in on a new Dell laptop for my father. He called me later on Christmas day and started talking AV, apps, etc. I think he was pretty surprised and excited.

I tried to do a lot of B&M shopping for folks, but found Amazon with their prime (free-ish) 2 day shipping, no tax, etc., landed a lot of my purchases.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wireless print server. Its been on my list for like 3 years now but nobody would buy it because they didn't know what it was (and I didn't really NEED to have one so I haven't bought one myself). I finally spelled out exactly which one to buy and what its used for and it was waiting under the tree.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    I made out fairly good. I got an arduino uno, weller soldering station, BF3 for Xbox 360 and some Turtle Beach x12's, and a dremel that I'm sure will be convenient with some future tech projects.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I got to upgrade my PC, new parts are as follows.

CPU: i7 3960X
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme (Free copy of BF3)
    Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
    PS: 1350W
    Cooler: Corsair-Hydro Series H100 Dual 120mm Fan CPU Cooler
    Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wife's aunt gave me a Best Buy gift card which I bought a couple of 60 day game time cards for Star Wars The Old Republic.
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    Santa ordered me a new labbing PC for MCITP/Virtualization practice.

AMD 8 Core CPU
    4TB Raid 10
    32GB Ram
    Workstation video card
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My boss gave me Battlefield 3 besides my Christmas bonus :D
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    A Starbucks card for cert studying, and a Best Buy card to help finance a much-needed HDMI hub.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    A Starbucks card for cert studying, and a Best Buy card to help finance a much-needed HDMI hub.

Did you get an HDMI hub already or planning on it? Reason I ask is I am probably going to need one in the future and wanted to hear some first hand experiences with them. I had one back for my component cables a few years ago and it was so difficult to determine before you ordered which ones were good and which ones were bad.