Options

Passed!! 70-680 Analysis, Resources Used, and Advice.

DaysOfNoahDaysOfNoah Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all.

I took 70-680 on Monday 12/19/2011 and didn't pass with a score of 680.
That exam was hard. I've enjoyed Windows 7 extensively since it was released.

I retested Friday 12/23/2011 and passed with a score of 820.
If anything the second time seemed even harder, so it is God's mercy I passed.

Critical feedback on the 70-680 exam:
--> There is too large of a volume of information for this exam - it should be split into two exams, in my opinion.
--> The study material on the market does not prepare one for the exam, in my opinion.
--> The people preparing the study materials are not the same as those writing the exams, and there is not a good overlap.

Study materials originally used:
--> Professor Messor videos -- free (GREAT overview, but if you are on tight timeline skip)
--> Don Poulton (Pearson) Book -- $40 (best resource)
--> Technet simulations -- free (do these after the books)
--> LearnSmart (aka PrepLogic)'s 3 practice exams -- $90
--> MS-Press Book -- ONLY the practice CD in the back -- $43
--> Used VMWare Player with trial edition of Win7 Enterprise, and Server 2008 R2 Standard.

Main resources I'd use if I had to do it over again:
--> Don Poulton (Pearson) Book for 70-680
--> MS-Press Book for 70-680 -- get latest edition with errata fixes, and do the entire book.
--> Be sure to use practice questions included on the CD, highlight the books as you go, and make flash cards especially for command-line items.
--> Index cards; buy a LOT.

Advice:
--> If you can IDENTIFY the correct solutions/items, you have a better probability of passing. I was expecting extremely complicated simulations but found the simulations easy (personally).
--> I personally found it very helpful that I had memorized common user interfaces. For example, before taking the exam the first time I sketched the most common control panel applets over and over and over until I knew what options are listed under each.
--> Memorize mentioned command line items (especially in Poulton's book) so you can identify when to use them. For important commands, also memorize key switches. i.e. ____.exe /parameter
--> Pay special attention to "Deploying Windows 7" exam objective:
TS: Windows 7, Configuring
Index cards helped me study and memorize the command lines, parameters, and material for this section.
--> Take the exam the first time assuming you might not pass - after you leave go learn the topics you knew the least. Think of it as a trial-run. When I retested, I found many of the questions were very similar in topic.
--> Identify how to obtain/implement certain outcomes. ____.exe? GPO? Using ___ on the Control Panel? ____ in Explorer? (I am completely making this up, but the generalization may be helpful, and is useful in the real world).
--> As it pertains to the objectives, know obvious/important GPO policies, and their parent GPO folder name.
--> Did I mention this is a lot of IDENTIFYING? If you can identify most of the items listed, you have a better probability of passing.

I don't think I disclosed anything I shouldn't, but if so message me and I'll update this post. I want to maintain the integrity of the exam, but also be helpful to those going for it.
Microsoft Certification Exam Policies l Exam Retake Policy l Non-Disclosure Agreement for MCP Exams

TechExams is such an awesome community. I don't post much, but it was helpful and encouraging reading others' posts as I prepared.

To those attempting 70-680 .... Don't give up, this mountain is not unclimbable. If you fall down, get back up and go for it again until you conquer it! icon_cheers.gif
"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you!" (James 4:8 )

"And this eternal life that they know You, the only true God and Jesus Christ whom You have sent!" (Jesus, John 17:3)

See for yourself: God is real! There is a big difference between religion and relationship. God is inviting you into relationship where you know Him, hear His voice, and share your heart with Him.

Why not sincerely ask:
"God, if You are real, I want to know You"

Comments

• Options
    stiltnerstiltner Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bravo man, bravo!

Considering you have the MCSE, you're accustomed to what I commonly dub
    "The Microsoft Way (tm)". You might learn the shortcuts, but MS wants you to know that they
    teach the long division form of math. Once you embrace THAT, and learn based on those concepts
    you're much better off working with MS tests overall.

They are 180 degrees compared to CompTIA exams. Congrats on the pass. You planning on doing 685 or 686?
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the Tips DaysOfNoah - .i failed the exam for the 2nd time last week and intend to have it done again by the End of Jan would need to review my learning pattern and practice more labs i guess

I am bit a worried with the Server Part ( which involves Branch Cache , Windows Remote Deployment and etc ) those were my weak points and areas where i would need improvements.
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass and thanks for a great review. Everyone sitting 70-680 must read this.
  • Options
    gNashgNash Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the post. I want to take this soon and pass it, and then move onto 70-686.

You mentioned Flash Cards. I wanted to know if you recommend Quizlet.com. If you search 70-680 on that site, you'll find people have uploaded a lot of flash card decks already containing what they've studied for the exam.

See: 70 680 flashcard sets and study tools | Quizlet and let me know what you think.
  • Options
    DaysOfNoahDaysOfNoah Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the kind words, all. Dr IT, I wish you the best, the next time around.

And stiltner, I saw your other post in a separate thread. I am hopeful you will get it next time. Isn't it helpful to better know what to expect, now that you have taken it?
    You planning on doing 685 or 686?

Good question. I don't know much about either of those two exams. I'm thinking to go next for
    ........... MCTP:SA (70-648 then 70-646)
    or
    ........... MCTP:EA (70-649 then 70-647)

Any advice? Most of my experience continues to be in multiple smaller environments. Not many forests. Makes me think the SA is a better next step than the EA.

But it is two exams, either way. Maybe I should post this question in the MCITP section of the forum.
    "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you!" (James 4:8 )

"And this eternal life that they know You, the only true God and Jesus Christ whom You have sent!" (Jesus, John 17:3)

See for yourself: God is real! There is a big difference between religion and relationship. God is inviting you into relationship where you know Him, hear His voice, and share your heart with Him.

Why not sincerely ask:
    "God, if You are real, I want to know You"