Options

WSUS alternative

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
I remember reading about a linux install a few years ago that can download and or push out updates to Windows clients. If I remember correctly it involved installing a client application on the Windows machines that would then communicate with the linux server.

Does anyone remember what it was called?

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No but it sounds like a world of pain to maintain as well as not being supported. I'd guess it was some kind of proxy grabbing the updates..

why not use ldap get an 03/08 license and use that to run it
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are a dozen WSUS alternatives. Some are free, some are not. Some are agent-based, some are not. Almost none of them work as well as WSUS, and almost all of them share its flaws or make up for not sharing its flaws by having their own, equally painful flaws.

Honestly, use WSUS unless there is a very good reason you can't. In the time spent trying to implement and maintain another solution, you can generally fix whatever problem WSUS has developed.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I've setup and run WSUS on XP, but never heard of it as a service for a *nix distro. I'd be curious to see what it is and if it has the same issues ptilsen mentioned.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not sure you would gain much value with another product? What are your business requirements?

wSUS is hard to beat. Although I did like Kaseya's patching tool also
    -Daniel
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Not sure you would gain much value with another product? What are your business requirements?

wSUS is hard to beat. Although I did like Kaseya's patching tool also

The company I work for just started using Kaseya. So far, I am impressed with it.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Guys, I found what I was looking for, its called OPSI.

software deployment — opsi
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    Guys, I found what I was looking for, its called OPSI.

software deployment — opsi

Beyond running on linux I see no advantage if the primary goal is installing MS patches. As a matter of fact I'm not sure about this part of opsi (emphasis mine):
    • Deploy OS Hotfixes (Update subscription is fee required)
    • Deploy MS-Office Hotfixes (Update subscription is fee required)
    • Deploy security updates and patches for the opsi standard packets (Update subscription is fee required)
    You can run WSUS on an existing Windows server for free. Maybe I'm missing something?
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Here is some added notes on OPSI from MozillaWiki

https://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseEngineering/OPSI
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness