Options

Laptop for GNS3

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
I know this has been asked here and I have looked but most Threads on this topic are old. I am moving to a new job and will need to buy a laptop for myself and school and wanted to really start using GNS3 however most of the readings I have done say more memory better as each router consumes around 200 mb. My question was is GNS3 heavy on processor? I mainly need this laptop for just basic school - web/Ms office and then i'd just be using it for GNS3. For work we use xendesktop so no real need there other than citrix client.

I want to get a laptop that will last but at the same time i dont want to over do it as i am trying to stay under 600 and of course the less the better.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I3 or better 4 gbs minimum but i'd say 6-8gbs will future proof you for the next little while anyways.

If you plan on leaving all the routers powered on you'll really notice ram getting swallowed.
  • Options
    MAXIMUM HAHAMAXIMUM HAHA Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got this from the gns3 documentation site http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/gns-3/GNS3/0.5/GNS3-0.5-tutorial.pdf :

"As an example, with 2 Gigabytes of RAM and a 2.5 GHz processor, you should have no problems running a lab with good performance with a half dozen routers and several workstations."

Graphical Network Simulator - GNS3
    Documentation - GNS3

The "Awesome One" Jeremy Cioara also has a video on gns3 ...
    http://www.cbtnuggets.com/standalone?video=/freevideo/csco_642_902_02.mp4
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I have an Asus 1005HA netbook (2GB RAM) with Ubuntu installed. I did try to run GNS3 on it, and I was able to run six routers; the CPU was at 90%.
    I was also using Roxterm as my terminal, and when I opened the console for all the routers, it was kind of slow when typing the command, but I was able to do what I was practicing for. This is back when I was studying for CCNA.

The newer laptops now have better CPU and much higher RAM. I think GNS3 runs better in Linux than in Windows (not sure on newer version).
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Without the exec time-out 0 0 line in the baseconfig.txt file under the IOS image preference setting, you would have to make sure that all routers are not idling, or the CPU will start to go up again after the routers exit the user EXEC mode.
  • Options
    so basically an I3 or better? ram wise i plan on putting 8 GB as I have those laying around. I have read on the idling for routers but have not read to much into it. Is this applied directly on the router ?

Thanks
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Has anyone tried running gsn3 in a vm on ec2 or other provider ?

watch the cbt nuggeys gsn3 video
    http://www.cbtnuggets.com/standalone?video=/freevideo/csco_642_902_02.mp4
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Darian929 wrote: »
    so basically an I3 or better? ram wise i plan on putting 8 GB as I have those laying around. I have read on the idling for routers but have not read to much into it. Is this applied directly on the router ?

Thanks

You have DDR3 SODIMMS just laying around? And no laptop for them?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Yup 8 gb of DDR3 so I just need a laptop with an alright processor and should be fine.