Options

M.I.T. Game-Changer: Free Online Education For All

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
Source: M.I.T. Game-Changer: Free Online Education For All - Forbes
The program will not allow students to earn an M.I.T. degree. Instead, those who are able to exhibit a mastery of the subjects taught on the platform will receive an official certificate of completion. The certificate will obviously not carry the weight of a traditional M.I.T. diploma, but it will provide an incentive to finish the online material. According to the
New York Times
, in order to prevent confusion, the certificate will be a credential bearing the distinct name of a new not-for-profit body that will be created within M.I.T.

I think with the internet, there's no excuse not to learn, even if you don't get an official degree or certificate. Knowledge has become free in so many ways. I think more universities in the future will have similar programs, and this is great, specially for the poor or underprivileged.

Thank you MIT.
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    interesting ... i wonder how it would look on a resume or how you would even put it on there
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    interesting ... i wonder how it would look on a resume or how you would even put it on there

As the article mentioned, it won't have the prestige of MIT degrees, and it will have a different degree name to distinguish it from MIT degrees. Of course, it will have the same problems of other online degrees. Still, I think that if one wants to learn, there's a way, and it is free. One can acquire knowledge and skills for free, and build on them.

• Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    If they have the course work for Computer Science and Engineering, I'm going for it.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think this is awesome that MIT is expanding an already awesome resource (and for the price, it really can't be beat.)

I am curious though if folks have parlayed this knowledge gained from MIT's courses into an actual degree. I know that MIT will offer a "credential" that will probably resemble a gold star from a kindergarten class, but I'm wondering if folks were able to use the free MIT classes and take CLEP exams or something like that to parlay into something a bit more relevant than that gold star?
  • Options
    jahsoul wrote: »
    If they have the course work for Computer Science and Engineering, I'm going for it.

Those have been available for a long time, I remember using some for Algorithms during college. They're available through MIT OCW(Open course ware):

Free Online Course Materials | MIT OpenCourseWare

very useful stuff.

Computer Science is part of the Electrical Engineering department at MIT

• Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I think this is awesome that MIT is expanding an already awesome resource (and for the price, it really can't be beat.)

I am curious though if folks have parlayed this knowledge gained from MIT's courses into an actual degree. I know that MIT will offer a "credential" that will probably resemble a gold star from a kindergarten class, but I'm wondering if folks were able to use the free MIT classes and take CLEP exams or something like that to parlay into something a bit more relevant than that gold star?

So far, no those courses could never be used to get a degree/certificate, but they're very helpful for someone who's doing distance learning, you know, as a free resource or reference.

According to this link however, it seems that they will be awarding degrees.

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is good stuff. Between MIT, Stanford, and the Khan Academy, I should be able to get plenty of hobby-ish physics studies in. Only if there were more credit by examination opportunities out there for such endeavors.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Thanks for the share! My goal is to start WGU possibly this year or next to earn a degree, but intend on checking the various courses offered here in the mean time.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    According to this link however, it seems that they will be awarding degrees.

I didn't see anything in that article that said they were granting degrees.
    The program will not allow students to earn an M.I.T. degree. Instead, those who are able to exhibit a mastery of the subjects taught on the platform will receive an official certificate of completion. The certificate will obviously not carry the weight of a traditional M.I.T. diploma, but it will provide an incentive to finish the online material. According to the New York Times, in order to prevent confusion, the certificate will be a credential bearing the distinct name of a new not-for-profit body that will be created within M.I.T.

It would be ok if they went the Harvard Extention route...(at least HES offers degrees with the word "Hah-vahd," I mean Harvard in it), but I don't think an "official certificate of completion" will be the same as an actual degree. Still though....it's still better than having nothing at all, like I did prior to going to WGU.

My concern would be if someone got the certificate and wanted to get an actual degree later.

If MIT wants to truly be a game changer, I agree with powerfool that some sort of credit by examination should be offered (obviously for cost, but still offered.) If you're gonna go through all that work, at least get credit for it somehow.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I didn't see anything in that article that said they were granting degrees.

It would be ok if they went the Harvard Extention route...(at least HES offers degrees with the word "Hah-vahd," I mean Harvard in it), but I don't think an "official certificate of completion" will be the same as an actual degree. Still though....it's still better than having nothing at all, like I did prior to going to WGU.

My concern would be if someone got the certificate and wanted to get an actual degree later.

If MIT wants to truly be a game changer, I agree with powerfool that some sort of credit by examination should be offered (obviously for cost, but still offered.) If you're gonna go through all that work, at least get credit for it somehow.

you are right, according to the article it will be a certificate of completion. I think the certificate of completion will be similar to Stanford's career development center certificates

• Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is possible that MIT could do what Berklee College of Music has done for years. Berklee has an online extension that gives certificates instead of degrees. The courses are transferable to Berklee and are accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. There are some restrictions but MIT could easily have courses available for credit instead of CEU's. I would love to see what types of classes they will have. I only wish they had this 20 years ago.
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also think there is something to be said for having access to the knowledge and training material.
    If you can demonstrate mastery of the subject matter then it may be possible to land a scholarship or at best broaden your knowledge, or read around a topic from someone else's perspective.
    Open Courseware has been around for a while, but I think the fact that they will issue certificates can still be useful, even if it's *not* counting towards real college credit or as a professional benchmark of knowledge.
    If your not working/unemployed those certificates might not count as a credential but could demonstrate self-motivation and passion for seeking knowledge.
    I do wonder if those certificates of completion will count toward Continuing Education Units for professional bodies, such as IEEE, etc.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One might be able to get a degree from Thomas Edison with their credits for just about anything. A good mark on open courseware from MIT has to be worth something.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ccnxjr wrote: »
    I also think there is something to be said for having access to the knowledge and training material.
    If you can demonstrate mastery of the subject matter then it may be possible to land a scholarship or at best broaden your knowledge, or read around a topic from someone else's perspective.
    Open Courseware has been around for a while, but I think the fact that they will issue certificates can still be useful, even if it's *not* counting towards real college credit or as a professional benchmark of knowledge.
    If your not working/unemployed those certificates might not count as a credential but could demonstrate self-motivation and passion for seeking knowledge.
    I do wonder if those certificates of completion will count toward Continuing Education Units for professional bodies, such as IEEE, etc.

Yeah, I would have to think that this could be a huge positive for career changers that already have a degree, but they want to move into something that isn't associated with their major. Also, this could be a small nudge for folks without a degree.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Those have been available for a long time, I remember using some for Algorithms during college. They're available through MIT OCW(Open course ware):

Free Online Course Materials | MIT OpenCourseWare

very useful stuff.

Computer Science is part of the Electrical Engineering department at MIT

Haven't they offered this for a few years now? I seem to recall going through a class or two about 4 years back??

Still is an interesting gesture and I'd agree with all those who have said it already "no reason for people to avoid learning something new"
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Haven't they offered this for a few years now? I seem to recall going through a class or two about 4 years back??

Still is an interesting gesture and I'd agree with all those who have said it already "no reason for people to avoid learning something new"

They offered the courses for free through Open Course Ware for a long time yes, but now it seems they're announcing a certification/diploma full tracks with feedback (exams) and some students discussion boards, something similar to full (free) distance learning. I believe it will be similar to Stanford Center for Professional Development: Stanford Center for Professional Development | Stanford University Online

• Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    In my opinion this will be a game changer. I hope that this catches on to where many university adopt this ideology.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    They offered the courses for free through Open Course Ware for a long time yes, but now it seems they're announcing a certification/diploma full tracks with feedback (exams) and some students discussion boards, something similar to full (free) distance learning. I believe it will be similar to Stanford Center for Professional Development: Stanford Center for Professional Development | Stanford University Online

Definately a great idea!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?