Options

Why my next phone will probably be an Iphone

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I have been an Android user for a few years now. I currently own a HTC EVO 4G on Sprint Yesterday I got an Iphone 4S from work (as my "beeper") and all I can say is that I am impressed much more than I thought I could be by a phone. It is just so cussing smooth. It did most of what I need right out of the box. At this point, all I need is a good ssh client and ftp client and I am good to go.


I was a bit skeptical but now I can feel myself joining the darkside.....icon_twisted.gif
«1

Comments

  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't do it.
    :study:
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    Don't do it.

    You have to give me a reason why?
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ([deep sigh] I'll bite....)

    I actually get that most people want something that's simple and works. Heck, even in my older age, I want the same thing. From all accounts, the iPhone does what people need....it works for them.

    Having said all of that, I just can't bring myself to go to the dark side. Part of it is that I'm still haunted by the fact that I could not figure out how to use a mouse on a Mac many, many years ago. (I was already proficient in PCs by this time, too.) Part of it is that I don't like the fact that an iThis or an iThat becomes obselete the second I leave the store with one (or order it online). And a big part of it is that while I do crave simplicity in my older age, playing with Android devices (I have two tablets (one mine, the other the wife's...) and two smartphones (one of each...though I have a Droid Charge, and she a Samsung Continuum) allows me to retain my tech roots. I can configure them as I see fit and I don't need Apple's permission for what apps I want.

    So yes, people who want simplicity will go with an iPhone. People who aren't afraid to configure a device to make it work for them will go Android.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »

    So yes, people who want simplicity will go with an iPhone. People who aren't afraid to configure a device to make it work for them will go Android.


    I found a port knocking client on a the Iphone today. How's that for simple.

    I do get what you are saying (after all I am still an android, rooted and cyanogen user). But I really don't have time to muck around with every little thing like I use to. I only want to work on machines if I am getting paid and I can see (just after a day of use) how relaxing it would be to not worry about things like will this update break my phone. Plus the battery life is incredible. I am not going to drink the kool aid (I hate kool aid, I love cinnamon) but I can see why people have.

    I just want something that works. I played with the nexus and didn't find it that great. I played with the G II and liked it but I really like this Iphone. We will see. If I still like it after a month, I probably will upgrade my EVO to a Iphone.
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have to give me a reason why?

    Because then you'll have to download the iTunes virus.

    In all seriousness though, like erp said, if customization isn't a big concern for you then by all means go for the iPhone. I prefer to make my phone work for me. I upgraded from a rooted original Droid to a Galaxy Nexus on launch day and have never looked back. Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) is pretty awesome so far. The improvements weren't immediately noticeable, but now that I am used to it, I love it. I prefer the Android interface over iOS.

    The bootloader on this phone is unlocked and it takes no skill and about 5 minutes to do whatever I want to it. HTC also announced yesterday that they will soon be pushing out an update OTA that will unlock the bootloader on ALL of their phones. To me, Android just works. I have all the apps I need, I can download them from wherever I want and if I ever have to nuke my phone, it's synced with my Gmail account so it gets reset exactly the way I had it before the nuke and I don't even have to do anything. Also, I originally thought 4G was overrated, but it's pretty amazing. I did a speed test on the interstate between Baton Rouge and New Orleans the other day and I was getting almost 30 down and 12 up. When I logged into my Gmail on the Nexus at the VZW store, it pulled and installed all of my apps on my new phone before I even walked out of the store.
    :study:
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    In all seriousness though, like erp said, if customization isn't a big concern for you then by all means go for the iPhone. I prefer to make my phone work for me. I upgraded from a rooted original Droid to a Galaxy Nexus on launch day and have never looked back. Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) is pretty awesome so far. The improvements weren't immediately noticeable, but now that I am used to it, I love it. I prefer the Android interface over iOS.

    I picked up a 32GB Lenovo Ideapad K1 tablet and finally rooted my Droid Charge. (Did it after the OTA update to Gingerbread and for $299...I couldn't refuse.) I'm not interested in some 12 year old's mod with L33t graphics/apps so I kept it stock. Only reason was so that I could use the android wifi tether app. I also had to make sure I could easily unroot the phone in case my phone breaks. So far, I love having continuous wifi (for free) anywhere I go with the tablet, and I only use that phone as a personal wifi device.

    Still, it's not perfect. I can't seem to use VPN from the tablet. I'm guessing this is a limitation with the android wifi app, but whenever I attempt to VPN to my work network, I can't access VPN from my tablet or phone. Looks like I'm still stuck with using VPN from my laptop via easytether. But would have liked using VPN from my tablet. It's not a dealbreaker though, and it's something I'll have to investigate at a later date. Still, I love that I can do a lot on my tablet.

    I'm not gonna get excited about the Nexus because it will be an old phone by the time I my contract expires. One of the things I'm gonna do is buy a phone without a contract. Beginning in January, I'm going to sock $40 a month and not touch it until 6/2013 (when my contract with VZW expires.) This way I don't get stuck with a BS contract and I can get whatever hot phone is out at that time. (I have unlimited data with VZW, and I intend to keep it that way.) I'm hoping the next phone I buy has better battery life. 6 hours is just not cute....
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Itunes is a pain. Before yesterday, I can honestly say that I haven't even opened it up in about 3 years (and even then it wasn't on my machine). That said you don't need Itunes for activation anymore which means you really don't need to use it for much of anything (unless you want to sync music to your phone). I personally don't do that so it isn't a big deal for me.
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    I have been an Android user for a few years now. I currently own a HTC EVO 4G on Sprint Yesterday I got an Iphone 4S from work (as my "beeper") and all I can say is that I am impressed much more than I thought I could be by a phone. It is just so cussing smooth. It did most of what I need right out of the box. At this point, all I need is a good ssh client and ftp client and I am good to go.


    I was a bit skeptical but now I can feel myself joining the darkside.....icon_twisted.gif

    Coming from a dedicated iPhone user I will say that ultimately these things come down to user preference. I seriously considered switching from my iPhone to android last year but found the GUI to be clumsy (at the time) and everything on my phone just works. With that being said iOS isn't perfect. Some things need to be seriously updated, such as its maps app.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you have a MBP/MBA/IPAD?
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Itunes is a pain. Before yesterday, I can honestly say that I haven't even opened it up in about 3 years (and even then it wasn't on my machine). That said you don't need Itunes for activation anymore which means you really don't need to use it for much of anything (unless you want to sync music to your phone). I personally don't do that so it isn't a big deal for me.

    Or unless you are stuck on iOS 4 for some reason. Before iOS 5 you couldn't do anything without iTunes from what I understand, including upgrading to iOS 5.
    :study:
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I recently switched to the iPhone from Android also and enjoying it. There does seem to be a bit more simplicity to the iPhone and I'm not much of a tinkerer anyway when it comes to the phone. Not sure if I'll go Andriod or iPhone for the next one, but I'd be happy with either.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have been an Android user for a few years now. I currently own a HTC EVO 4G on Sprint Yesterday I got an Iphone 4S from work (as my "beeper") and all I can say is that I am impressed much more than I thought I could be by a phone. It is just so cussing smooth. It did most of what I need right out of the box. At this point, all I need is a good ssh client and ftp client and I am good to go.


    I was a bit skeptical but now I can feel myself joining the darkside.....icon_twisted.gif

    Well I have an Iphone 3 GS and I love it….My only complaint is that I have AT & T as a carrier. Yes, there are a lot of drop calls, poor signal strength, and sometimes just no coverage at all. Other than it’s great!

    I always wanted an I phone for awhile, but at times it just seems like a I pod touch that can make phone calls. I can’t compare it too much to android, because I never had an android Phone.

    Here’s why I like M y I phone 3 gs

    it’s nice to just touch a button and hear a voice mail or call a contact. I used to have a flip phone.

    Apple tests all the apps rigorously before releasing them.

    It’s fool proof… yes, it’s somewhat hard to mess up an Iphone.. It just works right out of the box

    I don’t hear that many stories about viruses infecting the Iphone. However, I always hear about a lot viruses infecting Android phones.

    Would be interesting to see if Apple can get this patent for their phones and devices:

    iPhone of the Future May Be Powered by Hydrogen Cells

    Note- so far my fav app is alarm clock pro—It’s a great alarm clock!!

    Some day I want to try Android.. I really like the HTC phones, especially with the big clock on the front of the screen.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

    --Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    erpadmin wrote: »
    One of the things I'm gonna do is buy a phone without a contract. Beginning in January, I'm going to sock $40 a month and not touch it until 6/2013 (when my contract with VZW expires.) This way I don't get stuck with a BS contract and I can get whatever hot phone is out at that time. (I have unlimited data with VZW, and I intend to keep it that way.) I'm hoping the next phone I buy has better battery life. 6 hours is just not cute....

    This is an interesting plan. Essentially, your thinking that by buying a contract-less device you'll be able to roll your contract over to month to month and keep your unlimited data plan. Do you use more than 5-10Gb on a monthly basis? Or are you simple future proofing your contract?

    Since the "new every 2" deal is mostly dead, the only discount on a new phone would be the new 2 year contract price. which saves you 150$ or so (model depending). If your paying $20-30+ more a month for data, that's no small savings over two years.


    As to the Iphone, just get it. You can always switch back to Android later. I joined the dark side a few years back due to app availability and ease of use for my younger daughter. on the down side, I really dislike Apple's "Wait, were tracking you?" stance and the control they keep. That said, I do like that the phone just works and it does all the time. I've rooted phones and have worked over phones with Bitpim. I don't have as much time for that these days though. I'm a big Google fan and wish Apple would better integrate with Google Sync like the Android phones do.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

    Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    onesaint wrote: »
    This is an interesting plan. Essentially, your thinking that by buying a contract-less device you'll be able to roll your contract over to month to month and keep your unlimited data plan. Do you use more than 5-10Gb on a monthly basis? Or are you simple future proofing your contract?

    This doesn't matter. If you already have it, you don't lose unlimited data by signing another 2 year contract. The only time you lose it is if you go to another carrier that doesn't offer unlimited data.
    :study:
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    onesaint wrote: »
    This is an interesting plan. Essentially, your thinking that by buying a contract-less device you'll be able to roll your contract over to month to month and keep your unlimited data plan. Do you use more than 5-10Gb on a monthly basis? Or are you simple future proofing your contract?

    It's very easy for me to go over 4GB a month, and that's just with legitimate use. Between Pandora, Google Maps, and the occasional Netflix usage (and that's just on the phone app....where the movies are compressed for viewing on the phone), it's easy to go over 4GB. Not counting when I VPN in and do RDP, and real watching real Netflix (via ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and tethering when the Cable goes down). Yeah I've done some major GBing.....I'm a heavy user, but not so heavy that Verizon will shut me down (I don't torrent at all....no need since I can get apps/OSes legitimately now. :) ) So yeah, I'm protecting my grandfathered unlimited plan and I suppose I'm future-proofing my contract. I don't want to go through the hassle of making sure I don't switch over to a 2GB, 4GB, or even 8GB a month plan. I suppose when my contract is over, Verizon can attempt to change the terms of my unlimited plan. But then they risk losing a good $140 a month from me (I have two data plans and at a state employee discount.)
    onesaint wrote: »
    Since the "new every 2" deal is mostly dead, the only discount on a new phone would be the new 2 year contract price. which saves you 150$ or so (model depending). If your paying $20-30+ more a month for data, that's no small savings over two years.


    As to the Iphone, just get it. You can always switch back to Android later. I joined the dark side a few years back due to app availability and ease of use for my younger daughter. on the down side, I really dislike Apple's "Wait, were tracking you?" stance and the control they keep. That said, I do like that the phone just works and it does all the time. I've rooted phones and have worked over phones with Bitpim. I don't have as much time for that these days though. I'm a big Google fan and wish Apple would better integrate with Google Sync like the Android phones do.

    From my understanding, cellular companies recoup their costs from you when you lock in to a two year plan. That "free phone" gets paid for by you when you are done with your contract. Since there are phones I actually do want, I am probably better off just paying for it outright and not be locked in to another contract. I don't see Verizon giving me a better deal on my contract when I'm due to reup, so I'm better off just getting another phone on my own. Also, I don't see a need for getting a 3G/4G tablet since I can just tether a wifi tablet to the phone for free (and yes, at the risk of violating my contract.....but Verizon can pretty much *blank* my *blank* [front or back....you decide. :) ]

    As for just getting an iPhone....I'm just gonna say "no" and call it a day. I will stick with the right side of the Force as Android is good (if not great) enough for me.
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    This doesn't matter. If you already have it, you don't lose unlimited data by signing another 2 year contract. The only time you lose it is if you go to another carrier that doesn't offer unlimited data.


    That is true, but I don't want to keep reup'ing contracts if I want another phone after a few months. :) I don't want to be stuck on a contract. If I save $40 a month, it's basically the same just about.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    ill be buying unlocked/ebay phone when i need a new one to save my data plan on verizon

    right now i have a droid 2 and its not teathered/rooted just a phone and last month i used about 40 gig (netflix, music, dropbox use)

    most of that being netflix with 2 very young boys in the car for hours
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I suppose when my contract is over, Verizon can attempt to change the terms of my unlimited plan. But then they risk losing a good $140 a month from me (I have two data plans and at a state employee discount.)

    They won't. I just signed a two year deal to get a discounted Galaxy Nexus a few weeks ago and they didn't even bother to hassle me about it. I still have my unlimited data, no questions asked. It's a good thing too because I have been crushing my data since I bought this phone. 4G is at least as fast as my home connection. I don't have a reason not to use it all the time.
    :study:
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    This doesn't matter. If you already have it, you don't lose unlimited data by signing another 2 year contract. The only time you lose it is if you go to another carrier that doesn't offer unlimited data.

    Huh, I was under the impression that they would take the oppertunity to roll customers out of unlimited and into an equivalent costing data plan once the contract was re-uped.


    erpadmin wrote: »
    It's very easy for me to go over 4GB a month, and that's just with legitimate use. Between Pandora, Google Maps, and the occasional Netflix usage (and that's just on the phone app....where the movies are compressed for viewing on the phone), it's easy to go over 4GB. Not counting when I VPN in and do RDP, and real watching real Netflix (via ICS and tethering when the Cable goes down). Yeah I've done some major GBing.....I'm a heavy user, but not so heavy that Verizon will shut me down (I don't torrent at all....no need since I can get apps/OSes legitimately now. icon_smile.gif ) So yeah, I'm protecting my grandfathered unlimited plan and I suppose I'm future-proofing my contract. I don't want to go through the hassle of making sure I don't switch over to a 2GB, 4GB, or even 8GB a month plan. I suppose when my contract is over, Verizon can attempt to change the terms of my unlimited plan. But then they risk losing a good $140 a month from me (I have two data plans and at a state employee discount.)



    From my understanding, cellular companies recoup their costs from you when you lock in to a two year plan. That "free phone" gets paid for by you when you are done with your contract. Since there are phones I actually do want, I am probably better off just paying for it outright and not be locked in to another contract. I don't see Verizon giving me a better deal on my contract when I'm due to reup, so I'm better off just getting another phone on my own. Also, I don't see a need for getting a 3G/4G tablet since I can just tether a wifi tablet to the phone for free (and yes, at the risk of violating my contract.....but Verizon can pretty much *blank* my *blank* [front or back....you decide. icon_smile.gif ]

    As for just getting an iPhone....I'm just gonna say "no" and call it a day. I will stick with the right side of the Force as Android is good (if not great) enough for me.

    Don't get me wrong, I think Google's OS and open stance are brilliant. I just wish the device manufactures were as smart.

    As to data, wow. One of the guys here at work uses his phone for everything from tv to tethering, he is about where your at data wise. I think I'm just near an AP far too often, home, work, neighbors, etc.

    I believe when your plan rolls over to month to month that changes can be made at their discretion, meaning at some point they may just kick you off the "unlimited" data plan.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

    Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    onesaint wrote: »
    Huh, I was under the impression that they would take the oppertunity to roll customers out of unlimited and into an equivalent costing data plan once the contract was re-uped.

    Negative. See link below...it was actually the article I read that got me to sign up for the data plans before 7/7/2011:

    Get Grandfathered on Verizon's Unlimited Data Plan Before It's Gone

    However, I'm taking it one step further by not even dealing with re'uping. Only advantage to reup'ing is to "save" on the buying a new phone. However, if I buy a phone with no commitments, then I can buy a brand new phone OR do what demonfurbie will do and get a used phone off of ebay, although....there are some risks with that and I'll most likely go brand new from Amazon or something. (Like a bad IMEI number or something....)


    onesaint wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I think Google's OS and open stance are brilliant. I just wish the device manufactures were as smart.

    As to data, wow. One of the guys here at work uses his phone for everything from tv to tethering, he is about where your at data wise. I think I'm just near an AP far too often, home, work, neighbors, etc.

    I pay for data...I'm gonna use it. The only bad thing about it is that I'm only limited to the United States...no international. But while I'm paying for it, I'm gonna get my money's worth. I only use it for "tv" when there is issues with my cable though. (Which isn't often.) I don't use it for online gaming because I have to figure out how to get uPNP to work, but Netflix on my PS3 via ICS works splendidly. And as I said, as a VPN client, the phone works quite well, though I wish there were a way to use MY gateway instead of the the VPN's. (In my Windows 7 studies, I learned how to do that...when I go to the Internet, I am not hitting my job's Websense filters, which I check by going to the TOR project website...lol [no more checking the pr0n sites...lmao. :) ]

    My next phone will most likely be another Samsung or Motorola. Perhaps another vendor, but I gotta see how 2013 will play out. Whichever vendor hooks up O/S updates that best though (so far, Samsung is sucking at that.)

    EDIT: Oh BTW. ICS=Internet Connection Sharing on Windows XP/7 (7 in my case) NOT Ice Cream Sandwich.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Negative. See link below...it was actually the article I read that got me to sign up for the data plans before 7/7/2011:

    Get Grandfathered on Verizon's Unlimited Data Plan Before It's Gone

    However, I'm taking it one step further by not even dealing with re'uping. Only advantage to reup'ing is to "save" on the buying a new phone. However, if I buy a phone with no commitments, then I can buy a brand new phone OR do what demonfurbie will do and get a used phone off of ebay, although....there are some risks with that and I'll most likely go brand new from Amazon or something. (Like a bad IMEI number or something....)

    Sweet! Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad I never got around to changing my plan. Frankly, with how quickly phones come down in price, it might not be a bad idea to go without a new contract. I'm still of the mindset that Verizon may change terms on a month to month contract at their discretion.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

    Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I've been thinking of going from my Droid3 to iPhone5 next summer. Was never attracted to the whole "omgz i am cool cuz I rooted my phone" bandwagon. My wife having one would now be useful because of the iMessage add on. Since work pays for my phone, I could finally freely send pictures without incurring a charge. Also the cameras on iPhones seem to be the only ones in existence that are INSTANT when you click. Seriously, why does it need to take 4 seconds for my phone to take a picture? Ever try that with children? It's stupid as hell. My Blackberry Bold did that too.

    The only thing I am clinging to is the physical keyboard. If Apple had an iPhone with one, I would be there in a heartbeat.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My wife and I used the money we got for Christmas and just got ourselves two iPhone 4s'. Before we just had basic cell phones (no data, no smart phone, just made calls). We're dropping our home line so that will make up the difference we're paying on our new plan. We use Sprint (wife gets an 18% discount since she's a teacher) and my parents are also part of our plan, so that helps with the costs too.

    Before the iPhones we both had iPod touches and used them a lot. We really like the iPhones. I never thought about Android, to me it seems there are so many "flavors" of it out there. iOS, yes it "just works" right out of the box. And as someone above said, I'm too tired to monkey around with stuff when I get home (between work and two kids).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I've been thinking of going from my Droid3 to iPhone5 next summer. Was never attracted to the whole "omgz i am cool cuz I rooted my phone" bandwagon. My wife having one would now be useful because of the iMessage add on. Since work pays for my phone, I could finally freely send pictures without incurring a charge. Also the cameras on iPhones seem to be the only ones in existence that are INSTANT when you click. Seriously, why does it need to take 4 seconds for my phone to take a picture? Ever try that with children? It's stupid as hell. My Blackberry Bold did that too.

    The only thing I am clinging to is the physical keyboard. If Apple had an iPhone with one, I would be there in a heartbeat.


    ThinkGeek :: Bluetooth Sliding Keyboard Case for iPhone

    i just dont like being tied to one app store and apple pulling stuff when ever they want
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    onesaint wrote: »
    Sweet! Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad I never got around to changing my plan. Frankly, with how quickly phones come down in price, it might not be a bad idea to go without a new contract. I'm still of the mindset that Verizon may change terms on a month to month contract at their discretion.


    Legally, they have to give you notice when that happens (otherwise they can be sued.) If you don't like the terms, you can "opt-out" and hence cancelling the plan. No fuss, no muss.

    Personally, I don't see Verizon killing our grandfathered plans. With all those people wanting to be in the "omgz i am cool cuz I got an iPhone 4S with Siri" clique (yeah, Steve, that one was for you. :D), Verizon won't be losing money on grandfathered plans. They will pay for our unlimited data plan. :D
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    ThinkGeek :: Bluetooth Sliding Keyboard Case for iPhone

    i just dont like being tied to one app store and apple pulling stuff when ever they want

    Just make sure to download the app before they pull it. Did that with vlc for iphone and ipad (vlc media player not the streaming apps)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Legally, they have to give you notice when that happens (otherwise they can be sued.) If you don't like the terms, you can "opt-out" and hence cancelling the plan. No fuss, no muss.

    Personally, I don't see Verizon killing our grandfathered plans. With all those people wanting to be in the "omgz i am cool cuz I got an iPhone 4S with Siri" clique (yeah, Steve, that one was for you. :D), Verizon won't be losing money on grandfathered plans. They will pay for our unlimited data plan. :D

    Yup, I think it's 30 days notice at a minimum, that they need to give you before changing anything.

    I hope they don't kill our granfathered plans. That said, my wife's plan was recently changed to the 5 gig plan when she up'ed to the Droid Bionic. She thinks they told her something like in order to use 4g she needed to switch to a new data plan. Considering the Iphone4 is only 3g, I might be in trouble.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

    Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    How many people really use more than 1-2GB anyway? I doubt many.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    onesaint wrote: »
    Yup, I think it's 30 days notice at a minimum, that they need to give you before changing anything.

    I hope they don't kill our granfathered plans. That said, my wife's plan was recently changed to the 5 gig plan when she up'ed to the Droid Bionic. She thinks they told her something like in order to use 4g she needed to switch to a new data plan. Considering the Iphone4 is only 3g, I might be in trouble.

    (sigh...) She was lied to. If the device is 4G capable and you're in a 4G area, you'd have gotten 4G.

    At worst, it would have taken a simple phone call and had the switch straightened out there. But that scenario is precisely what I seek to avoid.

    I wanted the Bionic, but it came out well after the death of the unlimited plan. I'm happy with my Droid Charge though, and will be giving that phone to my wife when I get hot-new-phone-that's-not-an-iPhone after my plan is done. She's not into technology like I am, and she uses the tablet more than the phone in anycase (though her phone was rooted in case she needs wifi. :) )

    Oh and Stevelord, it is very easy to go over 2GB legitimately. See above.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm still rocking a iPhone 3GS, but it is free, so I have no complaints. If you need a good SSH client that has built-in VNC capablility, I use Remoter VNC. It is well worth the $6 when you get all of the components via in-app purchase. I've been literally able to work from my iPhone by logging directly into a server via SSH, or to my workstation via VNC over SSH...
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
Sign In or Register to comment.