Options

mcitp virtualization motherboard help

ccnahelpmeccnahelpme Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm looking to purchase a new machine with a i7 2600k processor and asus p8z68v pro/gen3 motherboard. Does the selection of the motherboard have anything to do with being able to enable intel vt or xd or is in based on the processor? I know for sure that the processor enables it but not sure if the motherboard will prevent it from being able to enable it. Thank you all and happy new year

Comments

• Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    That is one of the latest processors. It has VT-x and VT-d. So you can run Hyper-V or ESX(i) and also have 64-bit OS guest VMs running. However, you need to check the compatibility for ESX(i).

If you purchased it already, just go in to BIOS settings and look for Intel Virtualization Technology. Enable by clickin the button if it is disabled. Shut it down and boot again (not simple reboot) to make the hardware assisted virtualization available. See pic below.

VMware website has HCL page to check compatibility. I think the above board has Intel 82579 GB LAN chip which should be in VMware HCL. Realtek audio chipset will probably not work under VMware ESX(i). But, you won't be using it for Windows 2008 anyway.

Running Hyper-V with 2008 R1, R2 and Windows 7 guests shouldn't be any problem. It even has onboard video with HDMI, DVI and VGA ports. You can probably run two monitors without using a discreet graphics card.

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    certhelp wrote: »
    That is one of the latest processors. It has VT-x and VT-d. So you can run Hyper-V or ESX(i) and also have 64-bit OS guest VMs running. However, you need to check the compatibility for ESX(i).

This is incorrect. i7-2600 supports VT-x and VT-d. i7-2600k only supports VT-x (no VT-d).
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    This is incorrect. i7-2600 supports VT-x and VT-d. i7-2600k only supports VT-x (no VT-d).

According to Intel spec page for the processor, it does. Heck, even my 1st gen i7-620M does.

• Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    certhelp wrote: »
    According to Intel spec page for the processor, it does. Heck, even my 1st gen i7-620M does.
    That's the spec page for the i7-2600, the i7-2600k doesn't support it. Intel® Core
  • Options
    echo465 wrote: »
    That's the spec page for the i7-2600, the i7-2600k doesn't support it. Intel® Core

Oops, missed the K. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    that mobo+cpu wont support vt-d. Get the i7-2600 or the i5-2400 with this board (i have 3, all confirmed working, see pix)

Intel BOXDQ67SWB3 LGA 1155 Intel Q67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    - $130 icon_cheers.gif

Newegg.com - Intel BOXDQ67SWB3 LGA 1155 Intel Q67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

fT93I.jpg
  • Options
    ccnahelpmeccnahelpme Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    awesome. thanks everyone.