frame-relay and split horizon

alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186

Hi, I've configured the above frame relay. I've added static map statements and I'm using mulitpoint hub and spoke. The routers can all ping each other and I have enabled RIP on all routers. I'm advertising the 192.168.5 network to R1 and the 172.16 network to R1 and they can ping fine. Because of split horizon though I can't get any spoke to spoke communication when I ping from the 192 network to the 172 network.

Am I right in thinking that the only way in mulitpoint design to have spoke to spoke communication like this is to turn off split horizon? I've been staring at this for a while and I think it's clear now why a point-to-point design is so much better.

Comments

• Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can turn off split horizon, but most people usually go with subinterfaces on the hub router to avoid this problem. Check this out for an explanation, if you're not familiar with it. Configuring Frame Relay Subinterfaces > Cisco Frame Relay Configurations
  • alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
    thanks for your response to this. On the surface, Frame-Relay seems quite easy to understand but when you start looking in to it, it's quite easy to get lost in the configuration.

How come on a multipoint configuration all of the routers have to be on the same subnet? I'm just trying to get my head around the addressing scheme that is used in frame-relay with DLCI numbers. so if I were to add a static route to say a loopback address on a different network to my serial interfaces this should be router ok because of the DLCI's? I'm guessing I would have to add a static frame-map statement in?