Taking A+ next week, anyone have any pointers?

JayDynamiteJayDynamite Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I am new to the IT field and have been studying the CompTIA A+ Cert Guide by Soper, Mueller and Prowse for about 2 months now. I plan on taking the exam in the next 2 weeks. I feel fairly confident, but am not sure if there is anything I should be paying close attention to. Any help would be great...thanks again.

Comments

• charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took mines in Oct 2011. Essentials really is a piece of cake for the most part. Most questions are more close-ended questions. They expect you to know every aspects of components like motherboards, rams, cpus, hard drives, psus, etc. There's not much thinking into this exam. It's either you know them, or don't. Questions could be as simple as what is the speed of bluetooth 2.0? What is the frequency of IEEE 802.11a? But practical exam is a different story. Alot of scenario questions, and you will notice alot more command prompt questions. You could pretty much ignore command prompt for the essentials, but you will need to know them for practical.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Both exams are easy if you studied what the objectives cover.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • AyvzAyvz Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    charlesc09 wrote: »
    I took mines in Oct 2011. Essentials really is a piece of cake for the most part. Most questions are more close-ended questions. They expect you to know every aspects of components like motherboards, rams, cpus, hard drives, psus, etc. There's not much thinking into this exam. It's either you know them, or don't. Questions could be as simple as what is the speed of bluetooth 2.0? What is the frequency of IEEE 802.11a? But practical exam is a different story. Alot of scenario questions, and you will notice alot more command prompt questions. You could pretty much ignore command prompt for the essentials, but you will need to know them for practical.[/Qoute]

Thank you for the advice!
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yah i am taking it next week as well. gonna be taking practice tests this whole week as prep and also reviewing some notes
  • JayDynamiteJayDynamite Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to go over all the figures and tables. Wish me luck.
  • ImTheKingImTheKing Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should have no problem with the 701, but I suggest you know the key differences between printer technologies, the differences between the different 802.11 standards (distance, frequency, etc), as well as differences between different cable types. Also, make sure you know the order of the troubleshooting steps.

For the 702, know the causes and symptoms of printer/network problems, commands for Windows cmd, and the Windows utilities and you should be good. If you've studied, the rest should come naturally.