Options

Which CCNP exam to take first?

mikejensen83mikejensen83 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have recently obtained my CCNA certification and am now looking to start studying for the CCNP. I am not sure if I should start with the Routing or Switching exam first? Any suggestions?

Also, would you folks recommend investing in lab equipment, such as those kits available at www.ciscokits.com?

Thank you,
Mike

Comments

• Options
    aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Mike,

Personally I am doing ROUTE first. The main reason is that I do more routing stuff at work on a day-to-day basis than I do with switching. Also, the majority (if not all) of ROUTE can be done with GNS3.
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • Options
    laclac Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm working on SWITCH first as I have test equipment readily available for my lab. Don't think it really matters. I'm hearing ROUTE is very detailed, although I'm finding I had a lot more to learn about switching than I had originally thought! Either way, take your time and don't rush through your studies. Learn as much as you can and enjoy the ride...
  • Options
    SUBnet192SUBnet192 Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lac wrote: »
    I'm working on SWITCH first as I have test equipment readily available for my lab. Don't think it really matters. I'm hearing ROUTE is very detailed, although I'm finding I had a lot more to learn about switching than I had originally thought! Either way, take your time and don't rush through your studies. Learn as much as you can and enjoy the ride...

Glad to hear that, as I find Switch to be relatively easy... Route was worrying me more lol. Should write Switch by the end of January... Also taking a management course @ university, with a final exam mid february. Got my hands full lol... I want to finish CCNP to do the design certs...
  • Options
    laclac Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually just rescheduled my SWITCH exam a few minutes ago. Had it scheduled for this Friday, but pushing it back. Just too much going on right now at home and work and I don't feel ready just yet. Hoping to knock it out in the next week or two though.
  • Options
    Packet-JockeyPacket-Jockey Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Best of luck with that Iac, hope to be sitting mine ovr the next couple of weeks if family stuff allows o_O
  • Options
    thetrillionairethetrillionaire Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it really a personal choice that revolves around your experience level.......I work in a heavily switched environment....So I decided to tackle ROUTE first then follow that up with SWITCH, as I felt ROUTE would be a little more difficult for me.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Also, would you folks recommend investing in lab equipment, such as those kits available at www.ciscokits.com?

while ebay is a great resource for buying lab equpiment (piece by piece) i always suggest skipping the "all in one" kits you can buy as they always seem to be way overpriced for dated equipment (though i'll admit i haven't looked specifically at what ciscokits is offering).
    WIP: IPS exam