Going to start studying for ccent.

Fernling306Fernling306 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I have recently decided that I am going to work towards getting my ccent and move on to ccna later on.
My question is on study materials..
So far I have been looking at:
CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide ICND1 2011- Todd Hammle

CCNA Certification All-In-One for Dummies 2010

CCENT Certification All-In-One for Dummies 2010

Ccent: Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (Exam 640-822) 2008- Todd Hammle

CCENT/CCNA ICND1 640-822 Official Cert Guide 2011-Wendell Odom

I am going in with basically zero knowledge of computer networking, although I have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to everything else computer related. I am hoping to take and pass the exam within the next 3-4 months.
A few questions:
Are the dummy books worth anything at all? Is it possible to learn everything(or close to) required to pass the ccent?
If I purchased one of the Odom or Hammle CCNA books, would that work for the CCENT too? Or would I be better off getting one of the CCENT specific books?
I noticed that the CCENT Todd Hammle book is from 2008, would that still be 100% viable?
I've read a lot that Todd Hammles books are much easier for beginners, would you agree with that?

Thank you very much and look forward to hearing your replies.

Comments

• sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    Its Todd Lammle (pronounced: lam-lee) not "hammle". And to answer your question the two books that you should be considering are:

1) Amazon.com: CCENT: Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician Study Guide: ICND1 (Exam 640-822) (Exam 640-822 With CD) (9780470247020): Todd Lammle: Books

or

2) Amazon.com: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 640-822 Official Cert Guide (3rd Edition) (978158720425icon_cool.gif: Wendell Odom: Books

Just buy either of these books. Now some people swear by odom and some by lammle. I prefer Todd's book because it is concise and gets straight to the point. Odom has a tendency of going off topic or using dull analogies making the material very boring. But, Odom's book is more "noob" friendly since it has some basic network concept. Todd on the overhand assumes you have taken the Network+ or have some experience.
  • Fernling306Fernling306 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sizeon wrote: »
    Its Todd Lammle (pronounced: lam-lee) not "hammle". And to answer your question the two books that you should be considering are:

Just buy either of these books. Now some people swear by odom and some by lammle. I prefer Todd's book because it is concise and gets straight to the point. Odom has a tendency of going off topic or using dull analogies making the material very boring. But, Odom's book is more "noob" friendly since it has some basic network concept. Todd on the overhand assumes you have taken the Network+ or have some experience.

My bad, I knew that haha.

That is odd, everywhere I read said the complete opposite, that Todd's book is more noob friendly and Odom's is easier if you have some experience.
  • sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    I have both books and thats how i see it. Odom goes into more details (more than you need to know for the exam). Todd is a easier read because it is not boring and he gets to the point. If i were you i would burrow them at the library or even read a few chapters at google books.
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    get the ccna book by lammele then get the 2 book set from odom (covers ccent and ccna). that will help you get everything you need for both exams.

todd's way of subnetting is easy for most to understand in short order (read this one first). wendel is more into specifics so save this for last.

amazon has both at decent prices. plus the boson testing software that comes with the odom books is ok and you get a discount on the full version from boson. they also offer a good ccna lab sim (like them on facebook for a 25% off and sign up for their newsletter for specials).

also get some cheap routers like 1760's and some cheap switches like 2950's and do some labbing after you have read both sets of books.

also check of chris bryant for some ebooks and a video series he has. good material that you would normally pay a lot for.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • SUBnet192SUBnet192 Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My bad, I knew that haha.

That is odd, everywhere I read said the complete opposite, that Todd's book is more noob friendly and Odom's is easier if you have some experience.

I tried to read Todd's book (he sent me a copy for my evaluation) and I couldn't get through the first chapter. Lacked structure and assumed things too much. I am experienced but since I was asked to review it, I tackled it as if I was a newbie and I would NOT have liked it if I was....

I used the CBT Nuggets videos, then the Cisco Press ICND1 and ICND2 books (makes the books easier to read since you understand relatively well what is going to be explained, and you can focus on the parts you need to get more in depth instead of the whole content of the book. Odom's book IS dry to read, but gets to the point.
    Thanks for the info guys. I ended up buying Todd's CCENT book from Walmart.com for ~$25, not to mention that my father in law has about 15 years experience with IBM and will be able to help me out with a lot. I do plan on going with CBT Nuggets videos too.
    Once again thanks for the info guys.
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    if you are lacking the basics of networking then pick up a copy of a network+ book (again lammele) . heck even a little older network+ book will benifit you (if it has lots of decnet, appletalk, ipx, banyon vines, isdn then might want to just skim over those areas as I have not seen much mention of them on the ccna since I originally took the exam back in 2002, but good idea to know what they are when the "old timers" start joking around with you).

might want to read this book as well http://www.amazon.com/Network-Warrior-Gary-Donahue/dp/1449387861
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
    I decided to start with CBT nuggets. I am already about halfway through the ICND1 videos and seem to understand everything so far. I plan on finishing these videos(will repeat individual videos if I don't understand), then I will move on to Todd's book and read that through. I am hoping to be CCENT ready within the next couple months. /cross fingers
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    make sure to do plenty of labbing in packet tracer or gsn3 or one of the free labs
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
    I will be borrowing equipment to practice labs. :) At this point I am very excited to get into the labbing.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    HAM lee
    LOL
    I'm sorry... I srsly lol'd there
    meh
  • cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
    The CBT Videos are good.
    When you start the book have the 1760 router and the 2950 switch already on hand. I bought mine recently for $35.00 US each. Make sure you have a crossover cable, console cable, ethernet cable, and a serial cable for the DCE/DTE ( if you have a 2nd router). The book progresses as a "build on what you learned last chapter" structure. Dont go through the whole book then try to go back through the labs. Do each lab as you learn the new topics. Then when you review, you will have hands on experience with the IOS. Then your review really is a review. The first thing to do is backup the IOS on each appliance. This way if the image/setup gets hosed, you can TFTP the image back over and you are brand new and ready to go at it again.
    Some people do well just reading, but me, because I'm 42, I write down key points the first time I read them to reinforce them into my memory. Also, don't just move on if there's something you don't understand. Google it, research it, ask on the forums. I took the Network + about 5 years ago, but this goes beyond it. Scheduled my test for 3 weeks from today, doing review now. A 2nd book works great because sometimes one book does not have a good method for teaching a particular topic or skips it entirely. Then you have a 2nd resource on hand to check. And books... do not require AC, batteries and are not sensitive to being dropped. Plus they are CHEAP. Mark in them wherever you have troubles so you are sure to return to that topic multiple times to reinforce it in your memory.

Just my thoughts, good luck and hope to see you pass.
    To protect and to serve(r)...