Options

DocCD

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
Im swotting the DocCD today.

I assume this is the link we have access to in the lab?

Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.4 Mainline Configuration Guides - Cisco Systems

Finding it difficult to find useful config guides for switching particularly spanning-tree, private vlans.

Comments

• Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Im swotting the DocCD today.

I assume this is the link we have access to in the lab?

Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.4 Mainline Configuration Guides - Cisco Systems

Finding it difficult to find useful config guides for switching particularly spanning-tree, private vlans.

I may have answered my own question. I think its the command reference guides I need..

Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.4 Mainline Command References - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Colleagues of mine who have taken the Lab have told me not to depend on the Doc CD during the attempt. I even heard from Cisco employees that the Doc CD provided has been presented in a format to test the CCIE candidates knowledge.

It's great for use as a study tool, but I have a feeling it may be worthless come lab day.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    I think for the switching topics we have to select "switches" under products and after that 3560.
    This link:
    Catalyst 3560 Software Configuration Guide, Release 12.2(5icon_cool.gifSE* [Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    Colleagues of mine who have taken the Lab have told me not to depend on the Doc CD during the attempt. I even heard from Cisco employees that the Doc CD provided has been presented in a format to test the CCIE candidates knowledge.

It's great for use as a study tool, but I have a feeling it may be worthless come lab day.

You dont have time to look up more than a few things thats for sure. But its useful to be able to zoom in on a configuration example so you dont have to remember everything providing you know where things are in advance.

Im a little rusty on the DocCD but going by the 12.4 layout Im having real difficulty finding configuration guides or command references for even important things like private vlans and mst.

Will stop wasting time on it for today and grab something to eat. I have my study notes.
  • Options
    Sett wrote: »
    I think for the switching topics we have to select "switches" under products and after that 3650.
    This link:
    Catalyst 3560 Software Configuration Guide, Release 12.2(5icon_cool.gifSE* [Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems

Cool I will take a look thanks.
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Select Your Product or Technology - Configure - Cisco Systems

This is the link you need to bookmark. Everything from there is supposed to be available at the lab. For features concerning routers go to 12.4 -> 12.4T.

You have configuration guides which describes features and config for them. You have command references under reference guides. Under release and general information you have the master command list. This is very useful if you know what a command starts with but not which guide to find it in.

For the switches go to Lan switches access -> 3560 and there you have configuration guides and reference guides as well. While we shouldn't be dependant on the DOCCD you certainly need to know your way aronund it. It is impossible to remember every little gory detail and syntax of all the features. Knowing where to find it in the DOCCD could be the difference between pass and fail. Also it is not uncommon that scenarios will have a lot of similarities with examples on the DOCCD.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    reaper81 wrote: »
    Select Your Product or Technology - Configure - Cisco Systems

This is the link you need to bookmark. Everything from there is supposed to be available at the lab. For features concerning routers go to 12.4 -> 12.4T.

You have configuration guides which describes features and config for them. You have command references under reference guides. Under release and general information you have the master command list. This is very useful if you know what a command starts with but not which guide to find it in.

For the switches go to Lan switches access -> 3560 and there you have configuration guides and reference guides as well. While we shouldn't be dependant on the DOCCD you certainly need to know your way aronund it. It is impossible to remember every little gory detail and syntax of all the features. Knowing where to find it in the DOCCD could be the difference between pass and fail. Also it is not uncommon that scenarios will have a lot of similarities with examples on the DOCCD.

It's all good stuff. Im making a note of sections in my revision notes I want links for.
  • Options
    accelyaccely Member Posts: 101
    Knowing the DocCD is a must, I recommend knowing where to get to any topic within 10-15 seconds. When doing practice labs, even if you know how to configure something, ask yourself "do I know where this is in the DocCD? Take the few seconds and go find it. If you do this for every feature, it'll make a big difference in the lab for topics such as EEM/DCHP/NAT/OER/MPLS and whatever else you just want a quick verification check on.
    Also, like other posted above, you'll want to select switches > access > 3560 config guide for almost all switching related config.

I've been with Cisco since around May 2011 and I've just completed the Cisco 360 program including about 15 graded assessment labs. I've been averaging 2 full 8 hour labs per week for the past few months. The TS sections are now identical to the real exam, virtual 30 device setup, so this is the best practice you could get for the real lab. The last guy I talked to who passed recently said the 360 labs were harder than the real thing, and he recommended at least doing 4 of them. Of course he also had some of the typical responses like knowing your core and be fast at it before you worry about services, etc since they are alot less points in the grand scheme of things.

I'm taking my lab in a few weeks and I'm extremely confident I will pass. I've gone through the 360 program and tons of INE videos/workbooks/practice labs. I'm also taking the INE week 1 bootcamp right before my lab exam as a final refresher on everything. This is a 5 day class, 10-12 hours each day with nothing but hands on demos by the instructor and then the students do more mock labs in the evenings.

keep pushing everyone!

Dan
    Progress: CCIE RS Lab scheduled for Jan. 2012
    Equipment: Cisco 360 program racks

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    INE has a free hour-long video on using the Doc CD

doc-cd - CCIE Blog
  • Options
    accely wrote: »
    Knowing the DocCD is a must, I recommend knowing where to get to any topic within 10-15 seconds. When doing practice labs, even if you know how to configure something, ask yourself "do I know where this is in the DocCD? Take the few seconds and go find it. If you do this for every feature, it'll make a big difference in the lab for topics such as EEM/DCHP/NAT/OER/MPLS and whatever else you just want a quick verification check on.
    Also, like other posted above, you'll want to select switches > access > 3560 config guide for almost all switching related config.

I've been with Cisco since around May 2011 and I've just completed the Cisco 360 program including about 15 graded assessment labs. I've been averaging 2 full 8 hour labs per week for the past few months. The TS sections are now identical to the real exam, virtual 30 device setup, so this is the best practice you could get for the real lab. The last guy I talked to who passed recently said the 360 labs were harder than the real thing, and he recommended at least doing 4 of them. Of course he also had some of the typical responses like knowing your core and be fast at it before you worry about services, etc since they are alot less points in the grand scheme of things.

I'm taking my lab in a few weeks and I'm extremely confident I will pass. I've gone through the 360 program and tons of INE videos/workbooks/practice labs. I'm also taking the INE week 1 bootcamp right before my lab exam as a final refresher on everything. This is a 5 day class, 10-12 hours each day with nothing but hands on demos by the instructor and then the students do more mock labs in the evenings.

keep pushing everyone!

Dan

Dan what is the price of 360 for non Cisco employees these days? Many people passed it up because of the expense. Is it possible to just pay as you go for individual practice labs?
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Dan what is the price of 360 for non Cisco employees these days? Many people passed it up because of the expense. Is it possible to just pay as you go for individual practice labs?
    Yeah, that is the only drawback of the course. You get 10 (5x CIERS2 and some CIERS1/CIERS) when you sign up for the program.

I just checked the Cisco Learning Network and it looks like you can buy individual video sections as well as individual performance labs. They are a bit expensive at over 400$ each but will be definitely worth it IMO. Also if you have a company reimbursing you, then it's a no brainer :)

• Options
    accely wrote: »
    Yeah, that is the only drawback of the course. You get 10 (5x CIERS2 and some CIERS1/CIERS) when you sign up for the program.

I just checked the Cisco Learning Network and it looks like you can buy individual video sections as well as individual performance labs. They are a bit expensive at over 400$ each but will be definitely worth it IMO. Also if you have a company reimbursing you, then it's a no brainer :)

No company reimbursing here alas. Certainly an option for others though.
  • Options
    here is a link for the packages and prices the 360 program comes in: (see the table)
    Mentoring - NMC (CCIE Training Company)