Options

Kindle Fire

VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
I just bought this guy to read cert books on at work when I get a free second. I am very impressed by all the other functionality of it. It certainly does not pack the raw power of an ipad but for 200 dollars it seems a hell of a deal. Any other kindle owners have an opinion?
.ιlι..ιlι.
CISCO
"A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    I just bought this guy to read cert books on at work when I get a free second. I am very impressed by all the other functionality of it. It certainly does not pack the raw power of an ipad but for 200 dollars it seems a hell of a deal. Any other kindle owners have an opinion?

Received a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I honestly LOVE reading on this little guy! I have a Motorola Xoom tablet as well, but the Fire is awesome due to it's size. :)
  • Options
    craigaaroncraigaaron Member Posts: 132
    really hope they bring it to the uk :)
    Currently Studying: CCNP Security
    300-206 - Completed 04-Jul-2014
    300-209 - Completed 09-May-2017
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    im still debating on this or a 7in full android tab

ive seen the android tabs run around 250
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    cyclekingcycleking Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I really want to get the Fire as well but the main question I have is, if you buy an ebook with a CD with it how do you get the CD or do you even get the CD
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I love my kindle, holds all my eLibrary. The size is amazing, battery life is great, does everything else my ipad does. You get features with more than 199 IMO.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    carwashguycarwashguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You do not get the extras with the kindle version, but I just bought Todd Lammle's 7th edition CCNA study guide and emailed him they receipt and he sent a bunch of labs, PDFs, and a link to download the CD material.
  • Options
    cruffincruffin Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ...really nice to see that people are impressed with the Fire as a reader. I am currently debating purchasing a tablet, but I really don't 'need' one other than for reading and watching a few movies/ playing some apps.

My wife definitely wants (is going to buy) an iPad 2, so I don't really have any desire for one or a Transformer Prime. (even though they do look really nice)

I haven't ever read with a Kindle/Nook/etc. so my question is:
    Is a 7" screen really sufficient to read textbooks or certification type books? Do you have to constantly zoom in on text or is it as simple as 'turning' pages?
  • Options
    cyclekingcycleking Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    carwashguy wrote: »
    You do not get the extras with the kindle version, but I just bought Todd Lammle's 7th edition CCNA study guide and emailed him they receipt and he sent a bunch of labs, PDFs, and a link to download the CD material.

Thanks! I think I will try that when I get it.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In all honesty if you own an ultra book or laptop the size of 11 or 13 inch, there is no point in having a 10inch tablet. A 7inch tablet is in a world on its own. I dare anyone to hold any 7inch tablet and not be impressed with its capabilities and size, including the kindle fire's capabilities.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    battlesebattlese Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How is the Kindle Fire at reading the PDF version of certification books? I bought the original Nook for that reason and it was horrible. The text was too small to read. If I increased the font size, the figures (ie. screen prints, pictures, etc.) would disappear! Hard to read when you're going through and it says "as shown in figure 1". You'd have to stop, decrease the font size so the pictures reappeared. Even then the figure was so small you couldn't make it out.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    battlese wrote: »
    How is the Kindle Fire at reading the PDF version of certification books? I bought the original Nook for that reason and it was horrible. The text was too small to read. If I increased the font size, the figures (ie. screen prints, pictures, etc.) would disappear! Hard to read when you're going through and it says "as shown in figure 1". You'd have to stop, decrease the font size so the pictures reappeared. Even then the figure was so small you couldn't make it out.

I put a pdf version of a Cisco press book on there , its not as good as a ebook version buts its passable...The ebooks are not that expensive and they are great for cert studies. I love this thing and highly recommend it!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've had mine since a little before xmas. I hate to say it but I've not read a book on it yet. Mostly its just a gaming machine (damn you contract killer, tower defence, and words with friends) but there are some nice things too (that are also make me productive unlike the games). I like to use the ultimate guitar app to look up tabs. I used to use my laptop for this and either have it sit on my bed or print them out. Very simple to just have them on the tablet.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I've had mine since a little before xmas. I hate to say it but I've not read a book on it yet. Mostly its just a gaming machine (damn you contract killer, tower defence, and words with friends) but there are some nice things too (that are also make me productive unlike the games). I like to use the ultimate guitar app to look up tabs. I used to use my laptop for this and either have it sit on my bed or print them out. Very simple to just have them on the tablet.

This is one of the reasons I chose to get the Kindle 3G instead. I just don't trust myself. icon_lol.gif