Options

Question about Darril Gibson's Security + Test Prep Material

whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
Hello all and Darril,

Just want to check ---- if someone order's this:

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead- SY0-301 Practice Test Questions (9781466323605): Darril Gibson: Books

Is it the same thing as what they get here?

Security+ Practice Test Questions for Your Mobile Phone

Different? Is one better than the other? I would purchase both, but I am running low on funds.

Thoughts?
2017 Goals:
[ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
Future Goals:
TBD

Comments

• Options
    charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I ordered what you have with the first link. Not the mobile version.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Hello all and Darril,

Just want to check ---- if someone order's this:

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead- SY0-301 Practice Test Questions (9781466323605): Darril Gibson: Books

Is it the same thing as what they get here?

Security+ Practice Test Questions for Your Mobile Phone

Different? Is one better than the other? I would purchase both, but I am running low on funds.

Thoughts?

The questions are largely the same content though the format is a little different to meet the desires of different people. I created them for people that have already studied the Security+ content but want questions that they can use to check their readiness for the live exam. Some people want a book they can hold. Some people want a book they can read on their Kindle (for only $9.99 or free from the Kindle Learning library if they have Amazon Prime), and some people want actual practice test questions and flash cards on their mobile device (for only $4.99). Some people like more than one format to use at different times.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+/Network+ Daily Tips
  • Options
    RIP_LeroiRIP_Leroi Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darril,

Are the test questions in your 301 book (Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide (9781463762360): Darril Gibson: Books) the same as the Practice Test Questions book (Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead- SY0-301 Practice Test Questions (9781466323605): Darril Gibson: Books). I have the original 201 book and it seemed like there were several hundred practice test questions and didn't want to order the supplementary material, if it was the same questions listed in the book.

Thanks.
  • Options
    For me I personally prefer both. Would like to have the study material and practice questions. Although most people say, don't rely on it too much, I still manage to use them anyways, just so I can get my feet wet in preparing for the actual exam.

Still can't find any good practice test questions book or other sources for Server (cheap ones). But for security, I think I'm all set.
  • Options
    Darril wrote: »
    The questions are largely the same content though the format is a little different to meet the desires of different people. I created them for people that have already studied the Security+ content but want questions that they can use to check their readiness for the live exam. Some people want a book they can hold. Some people want a book they can read on their Kindle (for only $9.99 or free from the Kindle Learning library if they have Amazon Prime), and some people want actual practice test questions and flash cards on their mobile device (for only $4.99). Some people like more than one format to use at different times.

HTH,

Darril Gibson

Thanks for the clarification Darril!
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    RIP_Leroi wrote: »
    Darril,

Are the test questions in your 301 book (Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide (9781463762360): Darril Gibson: Books) the same as the Practice Test Questions book (Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead- SY0-301 Practice Test Questions (9781466323605): Darril Gibson: Books). I have the original 201 book and it seemed like there were several hundred practice test questions and didn't want to order the supplementary material, if it was the same questions listed in the book.

Thanks.

I was looking at something else and realized this question was never answered. The practice test questions in the 301 practice test questions book are a subset of the questions in the 301 study guide book. They are largely the same, but just formattted differently.

However, these are not the same as in the 201 book. I wouldn't recommend using the 201 book to study for the 301 test. However, if you choose to do so, the 301 practice test questions book is valuable since almost all of the questions are new.

Darril Gibson
  • Options
    I was looking at something else and realized this question was never answered. The practice test questions in the 301 practice test questions book are a subset of the questions in the 301 study guide book. They are largely the same, but just formattted differently.

However, these are not the same as in the 201 book. I wouldn't recommend using the 201 book to study for the 301 test. However, if you choose to do so, the 301 practice test questions book is valuable since almost all of the questions are new.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+/Network+ Daily Tips

Thanks for the info Darril!

I was hoping to use both the 201 and 301 books, plus test prep app for the Android, to prep.
    You are recommending to just use the 301 book solely?

Thanks for responding!
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options

Darril Gibson

O sigh, maybe I should have just purchased the study guide instead. I bought both. No worries Darril, I won't seek a refund. :)icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    charlesc09 wrote: »
    O sigh, maybe I should have just purchased the study guide instead. I bought both. No worries Darril, I won't seek a refund. :)icon_cheers.gif

Actually some people have said they've enjoyed using both to allow them to see the questions from a different perspective. Thanks though:D.
    Thanks for the info Darril!

I was hoping to use both the 201 and 301 books, plus test prep app for the Android, to prep.
    You are recommending to just use the 301 book solely?

Thanks for responding!

Actually, the best recommendation is to use what works. There isn't a single recommendation that applies to everyone globally, other than to use what works for you. However, let me try to clarify.
    • CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide. This was created for the 201 exam and helped thousands of people get certified on the 201 version of Security+. After the 301 exam came out and before my 301 study guide was released some people continued to use this and supplemented their studies with other materials and passed.
    • CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead- SY0-301 Practice Test Questions. While waiting for the 301 study guide to be released, I created this as an additional resource to help people study. The primary goal was to give people an additional source to test their readiness for the exam. Some readers told me that they used it with the 201 study guide to help them pass. After the 301 study guide was released, other readers told me that they used it with the 301 study guide to reinforce some of the topics they were weak in. This is currently in both paperback and Kindle format, but I expect to remove the $9.99 Kindle version in a couple of months.
    • CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide. This was written for the 301 exam, covers 100 percent of the objectives in the 301 exam, and includes 450 practice test questions written specifically for the 301 exam. A reader just posted a review on Amazon saying she is "computer challenged" with "zero prior networking/computer experience" but used this as her sole-source and passed with an 833. I'm reminded of the disclaimers on TV though - "your results may vary".
    • Mobile apps. I partnered with LearnZapp to publish questions for users on their mobile phones or other mobile devices. They wrote the application and provided the practice test questions and some flash cards. This is an interactive application that works on devices like iPhones and Android phones. The questions are a subset of the 450 questions in the study guide, but presented in a different format for users that want to study on the go.
    • CompTIA Security+ SY0-301 Practice Test Questions (Get Certified Get Ahead) Kindle only. People have complimented the content of the practice test questions in the SY0-301 practice test questions book, but expressed displeasure with the presentation on the Kindle. I reformatted the questions with answers section, and added some flash cards. These aren't new questions, but instead many of the same questions that are helping people master the material, take and pass the exam the first time they take it.
    All that said, is there anything wrong with someone using all of these materials to master the content? Absolutely not. Use what works. Similarly, is there anything wrong with someone just going to CompTIA, downloading the objectives, and self-studying everything without buying any books at all? Absolutely not. I know that's how I took and passed the CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) exam during the beta stage.

Also there is a wealth of materials out there from other sources. One of my personal goals is to help people learn and get ahead and this drives me to write. However, if people can learn content from any other source and get ahead, that's still a win.

The biggest message I'm trying to convey is to use what works for you. I hope this helps.

Darril Gibson
  • Options
    WaltahWaltah Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    • Mobile apps. I partnered with LearnZapp to publish questions for users on their mobile phones or other mobile devices. They wrote the application and provided the practice test questions and some flash cards. This is an interactive application that works on devices like iPhones and Android phones. The questions are a subset of the 450 questions in the study guide, but presented in a different format for users that want to study on the go.
    • CompTIA Security+ SY0-301 Practice Test Questions (Get Certified Get Ahead) Kindle only. People have complimented the content of the practice test questions in the SY0-301 practice test questions book, but expressed displeasure with the presentation on the Kindle. I reformatted the questions with answers section, and added some flash cards. These aren't new questions, but instead many of the same questions that are helping people master the material, take and pass the exam the first time they take it.

Darril Gibson

I figured you were in on this one as well, the material is similar. The flash cards are AWESOME if you do it as a quiz, instead of multiple choice, you need to know the answer. love it. ive been toying with it all day. the questions are fresh too after having my nose in your book and kindle app.
    A.A.B - Computer Information Systems (Cisco)
    A.A.S - Cyber Transport Systems (3D1X2)
    In Progress:
    B.S. - Management Information Systems :study: