Configuring 2620XM through console (RJ45 - RJ45) - first time

joluis9joluis9 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I just got my routers and cables and I am trying to access them through the console port with a rollover rj45 to rj45 cable and i cannot set up a connection in hyperterminal or tera term. It asks me for a host name and I don't know what to put icon_redface.gif. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    If you set it up as a serial or COM port connection with the correct settings (9600, etc...) you should not need a host name. I have used both hyperterminal and tera term and never needed a host name.
  • poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    Cisco router console cables are designed to be used with a DB9 serial port. You cannot connect your PC ethernet card directly to the router unless the router already has an IP address on it's ethernet port, you know that address, telnet is enabled, etc..etc..etc.. The console port is a serial connection, not ethernet.

You should have gotten a cable like this:

NEW Cisco Console Rollover Flat Cable RJ45 DB9 1 pc,6Ft | eBay

If you have a serial port on your PC, you will need to find out what the port# is - COM1, COM2, COM3, etc.. Then, change your hyperterminal/tera term/etc settings to use this port. Set conenction settings to 9600,N,8,1.

If you do not have a serial port on your PC, you will need the above cable PLUS a serial/USB adapter.

#B USB 2.0 TO SERIAL RS232 DB9 9 PIN ADAPTER CABLE PDA | eBay

Be careful on Ebay when purchasing these.. Sheisters will sell these for $45.00 apiece when labeled as a "USB Cisco Console Adapter". All this cable does is give you a USB connector that loads serial drivers and has a DB9 serial pinout.

I am not affiliated with any of the above Ebay links. Choose your own sellers on Ebay.

I gave this particular advice assuming you were connecting an ethernet cable from your PC ethernet port directly to your console port, which will not work.

Please let me know if this helps you out..

Russ
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice
  • ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    Wait are you trying to use an RJ45-RJ45 crossover cable to access the console port? I've always used a Serial to Serial or Serial to USB cable.
    I left that part out - I have the serial to USB converter cable and it works fine. My laptop did not have a serial port.

If you get that cable, then you just use whichever COM port maps to that USB port and you're good to go.
  • joluis9joluis9 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pogue wrote: »

I gave this particular advice assuming you were connecting an ethernet cable from your PC ethernet port directly to your console port, which will not work.

Please let me know if this helps you out..

Russ

Right on pogue. icon_sad.gif Sadly I thought I could do it, but you are correct, the Ethernet port on the router does not have an IP address, or at least I don't know it. I have to get the cable and adapter. One more question, when I get the adapter would I need to know the port number for the USB port? My computer does not have a serial port, is it wise to buy a serial expansion card to my PC?

Thanks
    You should just need the serial to USB converter. Each USB port should have a COM number assigned to it...
    Wait are you trying to use an RJ45-RJ45 crossover cable to access the console port? I've always used a Serial to Serial or Serial to USB cable.

Ciscoman, As pogue said it works but only if the router is configured already. But it is not a crossover cable, you need a rollover cable I believe.
    joluis9 wrote: »
    Right on pogue. icon_sad.gif Sadly I thought I could do it, but you are correct, the Ethernet port on the router does not have an IP address, or at least I don't know it. I have to get the cable and adapter. One more question, when I get the adapter would I need to know the port number for the USB port? My computer does not have a serial port, is it wise to buy a serial expansion card to my PC?

Thanks

Nah.. Just get whichever of the above cables you do not have. Makes no sense to buy a serial expansion, as you will encounter many more PCs with no serial port in your Cisco travels, until Cisco figures out a permanent solution. (which will prolly be IPv6-driven, as IPv6 has much more robust autoconfiguration options.)

When you connect the USB-Serial adapter cable to your computer, a new USB device will be detected. Load the device drivers that come with the cable, and you will now have a new COM port on your PC. Go into Device Manager to find out what the COM # is. Use that COM # in HyperTerminal/Putty, and with 9600,N,8,1 settings, you should get boot text when you reboot the router.

At that point, you may have to perform password recovery if the seller did not wipe the router. Google for help with that.

Russ
    Just a clarification. There is no configuration that will allow an ethernet-console port connection. Without a console cable, the only way to egt into a router is by connecting PC to Router FastEthernet/Ethenet port. This requires configuration on the router.

It does make me curious if software can be written to allow the ethernet port on a PC to send/recieve serial signals out. Me thinks it would require alternate drivers for each particular ethernet card, however... I don't think it would be worth the trouble.

It would be crazy fun to hook that ethernet cable up to a console port in front of a CCIE though, and watch him freak out when it works.. icon_smile.gif

Russ
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    no as ethernet and serial are different voltage levels , different protocols, different encoding, different chips and work in different ways.

serial chips are uart + line driver/level shifter that serialise the data and shift the voltage(transistor transistor logic) levels (typically +5v/0v) to rs232 levels (from +-3V to +25v-15v) used in rs232 serial (EIA232 , TIA232).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232
    RS232 Specifications and standard

ethernet is usually 2.6vpk to pk(0.9v to 1.4v or equivalent) (think 1000Gb is 3.15vpk to pk) but its a differential signal (helps reduce noise) and uses manchester/ 4B/5B / 4-D (depending on10/100/1000) encoding (serial doesn't).
    Have two parts the mac and the phy (some 10 or 40Gb chipsets may have multiple macs and phys).
    max dc level is 5v (signal itself is like AC). Can be one or multiple chips (mac and phy in one or multiple chips).

see page 134 -140 of IEEE Standard Association - IEEE Get Program

poe ethernet is 48V

can get the ethernet and other ieee standards here
    IEEE-SA - IEEE Get Program
    IEEE-SA -IEEE Get 802 Program

Xilinx announces 100G OTN development platform - 2011-03-07 19:00:00 | EDN

here's the sell sheet for a 1/10Gb part
    http://myapm.apm.com/MyAMCC/retrieveDocument/Quake/QT2225%20Mattawa/QT2225_PB3033.pdf
    QT2225 Pinouts , QT2225 Pin out,QT2225 pin diagram

The fun for the guys designing this stuff is the high speed and frequencies is the circuits act as
    RF(radio frquency) circuits which means its very easy for them to putout RF interference and that a lot of the hardware needs rf shielding.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
    also just starting to see 802.11ac chipsets for gigabit wifi
    and wigig is also on the way

802.11ac is up to 1.3 - 2 Gbps @ 5GHz designed to work through the whole home
    (up to 2Gb with 1 connected device , supposedly drops down to 400Mbps with 3 or more connected devices)

wigig is 7Gbps @ 60GHz across the same room point to point- home stereo / pc to monitor

802.11ac chipsets
    Broadcom.com - Broadcom Launches First Gigabit Speed 802.11ac Chips - Opens 2012 CES with 5th Generation (5G) Wi-Fi Breakthrough
    The first gigabit Wi-Fi chip for consumer devices is here — Tech News and Analysis
    English only please guys icon_study.gif
    Sorry off on a slight tangent there.
    (My next work project is developing a new remote fpga experiment for students to use and write the tutorials and lessons
    for lecturer to use with the experiment - they'll have the fun of having to write a pong clone in vhdl or verilog icon_smile.gif )

For telnet and ssh connections do yourself a favour and get putty connection manager.
    It allows you to have multiple sessions open and access them via tabs

or super putty
    both work well

Putty Connection Manager (tabbed putty): How to configure | Windows 7, XP and Vista tips and How to Guide
    Downloads - superputty - A Telnet/SSH/SCP/SFTP client using PuTTY - Google Project Hosting