trbleshoot when interface and protocol are up

mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm unsure how to go abouts with this problem

"At which OSI layer should you begin troubleshooting if you cannot ping the remote router, but the interface on the router that connects the remote router reports that the interface and protocol are up?"

A: OSI Layer 3

There are other variations of this question; like if interface is up and protocol is down or something like that. How to solve these problems?
Help!

Comments

• craigaaroncraigaaron Member Posts: 132
    if i remember the interface is the physical part so e.g right cables are plugged in at OSI layer 1 and the protocol is part of layer 2/3 so like checking the clock speeds for a dce interface or dte.

but i find with most of theses working on the real lab helps to test ideas
    Currently Studying: CCNP Security
    300-206 - Completed 04-Jul-2014
    300-209 - Completed 09-May-2017
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC
  • osJoeosJoe Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your interface is up and working, layer 1 is good. Line protocol is up and running, layer 2 is good. Next up is to check layer 3 for any issues relating to routing/ IP addresses.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Remember pinging an IP is testing Layer 3 of OSI.

It will just come in time. As mentioned before:

Down/Down - Usually points to a Physical issues something is either not plugged in or their is a cabling issue.
    Admin Down/Down - Interface is shutdown
    Up/Down - Could be an encapsulation issue, or some type of layer 2 problem (DLCI or so forth.)
    Up/Up - Usually means the interface is working if the IP/Routing information is correct at layer 3.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    Remember pinging an IP is testing Layer 3 of OSI.

It will just come in time. As mentioned before:

Down/Down - Usually points to a Physical issues something is either not plugged in or their is a cabling issue.
    Admin Down/Down - Interface is shutdown
    Up/Down - Could be an encapsulation issue, or some type of layer 2 problem (DLCI or so forth.)
    Up/Up - Usually means the interface is working if the IP/Routing information is correct at layer 3.

This layered troubleshooting is a tricky concept for beginners like me, but thanks everyone!

From what I gathered:

Interface = Physical Layer
    "Line" Protocol = Above Physical Layer
  • fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    when you troubleshoot, you should use OSI :)
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also though, sometimes following the OSI layered approach isn't always the most reasonable-worldly approach.

Most people when they've been on the production floor and troubleshooted errors usually knows what things look like. What the feel of the network tends to be. Networks tend to have "days" or times when things react differently. It's living, for the most part.

"My computer doesn't work" usually means to me is that the user didn't log off sometime in a week, and the sever updated and got locked off the network. Or someone didn't want to sit beside someone else, and unplugged the computer / ethernet cables.

Ya know. Non-network issues :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams