Options

Multi-cast source... do they register?

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
I understood that a multimedia server simply had to be programmed to send to a multicast IP address, and the multicast enabled router(s) handled the rest.

However, I just came across this white paper on anycast-rp that says the following:
"When the RP learns about a new multicast source within its own domain (through the normal PIM register mechanism), the RP encapsulates the first data packet in a Source-Active (SA) message and sends the SA to all MSDP peers."

Anycast RP - Cisco Systems

I've done some searching on this, and can't prove with any certainty that a multicast source has a "normal PIM register mechanism". Is this the case? Does a source, on top of sending to the right IP address, also have to register with the RP?

Thanks,
Mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    This is handled by the router that the source is connected to. The router will register the source to the RP with an unicast message where the multicast is encapsulated. The RP will then send a register stop message back.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    reaper81 wrote: »
    This is handled by the router that the source is connected to. The router will register the source to the RP with an unicast message where the multicast is encapsulated. The RP will then send a register stop message back.

Ah, gotcha... its the gateway router that does the registering. Of course. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.