Options

Getting ready to graduate

I'm getting ready to start the first class of my last semester before I receive my B.S. in MIS, and I'm actually pretty excited. I got my promotion a little prematurely, but I'm still wondering what's out there at graduation time.

What are the trends that people see for 2012, especially for those of us getting ready to get out of school? Anyone getting ready to graduate have any plans for the next six to nine months?
MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5

Comments

• Options
    ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    eserfeliz wrote: »
    I'm getting ready to start the first class of my last semester before I receive my B.S. in MIS, and I'm actually pretty excited. I got my promotion a little prematurely, but I'm still wondering what's out there at graduation time.

What are the trends that people see for 2012, especially for those of us getting ready to get out of school? Anyone getting ready to graduate have any plans for the next six to nine months?

I will be done with my B.S in the spring. I currently work for a school district as a network tech but I have been keeping my eye out for a network engineer position. I have already had a couple of interviews. As far as plans go I am planning on getting my CCNA voice and CCNP. I can't wait to to start. It will be a nice change from school crap.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I actually just graduated with a MIS degree and changed positions myself. The day of my last class I had a good interview and then started as a Systems Administrator a couple weeks later. Degrees definitely help!

Now it's time for some more Microsoft server exams but this time company paid for!
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think that the economy is starting to pick up a little, and considering that it didn't get too bad for tech anyhow, I hoping it could be a nice trend. I am graduating with a Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity Policy in May and with a MS in Cybersecurity Policy in December... While I am not necessarily looking to jump ship, I always am happy to entertain offers. As a matter of fact, I was contacted by a recruiter today... while I don't think he has anything that will tempt me, I think is good to keep a strong network.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on your upcoming graduation and best of luck! Where are you going to school btw?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz on your upcoming graduation and best of luck! Where are you going to school btw?

+1 Nicely done
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Add me to the list. Tuesday I will start my last two courses toward BS in Networking and Telecommunications from FHSU. Yeah!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Add me to the list. Tuesday I will start my last two courses toward BS in Networking and Telecommunications from FHSU. Yeah!

Awesome stuff! I'm glad you made it!
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just finished my MBA in MIS, and what I see in this tough economic climate is companies are looking for certifiable skills. Working in Silicon Valley in the late 90's and 00's a person could get a good paying job with no certifications as long as they knew what they were doing. Now with so many qualified people out of work, my opinion is companies want the certs more than ever. This year I'm planning to get my Security+, MCTS, MCITP, and ITIL. If that doesn't get me in the door with a great salary I don't know what will.

Anyone with these skills having trouble finding work, or underemployed?