i was saving for a fire till i saw ...

demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
Asus Memo 370T changes the game by offering four cores for the price of two | CES 2012: Tablets and E-book Readers - CNET Blogs

that looks near perfect it has all the ports i would want and the price im ok with, with full android not skinned one like the fire
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

• TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Looks like a nice device. There have been a ton of new devices announced at CES. Take a look at AndroidCentral.com, they usually post up what's announced.

I think we'll start to see some nice quad cores in the next few months. And now that intel has announced they are going to start getting into the chipsets and such for tablets, better things will be on the way shortly.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Asus Memo 370T changes the game by offering four cores for the price of two | CES 2012: Tablets and E-book Readers - CNET Blogs

that looks near perfect it has all the ports i would want and the price im ok with, with full android not skinned one like the fire

I do like the specs on it. However, I'm a bit spoiled by the 10" screen. Though between quad-core, Tegra 3 and Ice Cream Sandwich.....you can't beat $250. Still.....I have become spoiled with a 10" screen.

My ONLY gripe about Android is that (without cumbersome conversion....even for me that's unreasonable), is that there are no e-book readers that can TTS Kindle books. For that alone, that's why my 2nd Gen Kindle isn't retired yet.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I do like the specs on it. However, I'm a bit spoiled by the 10" screen. Though between quad-core, Tegra 3 and Ice Cream Sandwich.....you can't beat $250. Still.....I have become spoiled with a 10" screen.

My ONLY gripe about Android is that (without cumbersome conversion....even for me that's unreasonable), is that there are no e-book readers that can TTS Kindle books. For that alone, that's why my 2nd Gen Kindle isn't retired yet.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

End of Q2 for the upgraded Transformer Prime makes me sad. I want Tegra3, 10", HD res, HDMI out, ICS, bluetooth/docking station keyboard. I would prefer it to be either Asus or Lenovo and I'm willing to spend up to $750 to get all these things in one device.
    swild wrote: »
    My thoughts EXACTLY.

End of Q2 for the upgraded Transformer Prime makes me sad. I want Tegra3, 10", HD res, HDMI out, ICS, bluetooth/docking station keyboard. I would prefer it to be either Asus or Lenovo and I'm willing to spend up to $750 to get all these things in one device.

My whole thoughts on Transformer Prime or any "hot" device is that the second you buy it, something else will be out that will make you wish you'd wait for that product....you wait, and you wait for the bestest, fastest thing...meanwhile you have nothing, nada, zilch right now.

I'm a Virgo...and one of the Virgo traits I'm very proud of is that we tend to be very practical. I'm satisfied with a device that does what I need and when I need it. But I won't buy something for the sake of buying it...I have to use it too. I do use my tablet to check email, or check the web if the need arises...and the speed is really good enough. If I am at a meeting, I can alternate between taking notes, or perhaps going to the Internet to research something relevant. Oh and not to mention Netflix....pretty nice on both my Thrive and Ideapad. In fact, while connecting both to my TV would be unacceptable to watch Netflix movies, Amazon Videos look QUITE clear on both devices both on the device and when hooked up to the TV.

Here's hoping that ICS will be out for my devices, but I know that Android 5.0 is already underway.......lmao! Google cracks me up....
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ok so what is quad core going to do over dual core? Manufacturers can only compete with faster hardware but there is so much software wise that needs to be addressed especially in the app development market. On a 7inch screen though phone apps will probably scale better than a 10 inch screen.

I ended up selling my Toshiba Thrive on Ebay last week. Made a hundred dollar profit since I bought it on Black Friday lol. All the major stuff I did on my iPad 1 didnt work right on Android and I realized I did not use it for over a week where my iPad I used almost daily so I sold it.

I wish tablet manufactuers would get together to find someway to provide incentives to develop tablet native apps but I don't see any economic real reason for them to cooperate.
    hilarious.

<--Virgo

All of you reasoning is why I don't currently have a tablet. They just can't do what I want them to yet. I will probably jump on the current Prime sometime in the next couple of months. I think that Lenovo's IdeaPad K2 will be the tablet for me whenever it gets here.
    swild wrote: »
    hilarious.

<--Virgo

All of you reasoning is why I don't currently have a tablet. They just can't do what I want them to yet. I will probably jump on the current Prime sometime in the next couple of months. I think that Lenovo's IdeaPad K2 will be the tablet for me whenever it gets here.

That actually makes sense; you represent the other extremes of our traits....perfectionism. If so much as one thing isn't right, none of it is right. I can relate to that as well.

I had waited a good while before I jumped on any device. I had to get a smartphone earlier than I would have liked only to have unlimited data from Verizon. Then once I got comfortable with Android (coupled with nice holiday pricing) I jumped on the tablets (one for wifey, and one for me later.)

I am extremely and unapologetically anti-Apple (however, I will not flame or attack anyone who loves Apple or wants to marry Siri. :D ) I enjoy the freedom of having apps I want and I am sure that Google Android will mature to a point where the apps are safe and stable, while yet maintaining the freedom of having apps that I want.

I enjoy comparisons of this freedom to the Wild Wild West. During that time...men were men and even the women-folk were tough (they had to.) Eventually, the Wild West was tamed. So the same could be said for Android.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Ok so what is quad core going to do over dual core?

I've asked this several times and have yet to get an answer anywhere. ;)

The "ghz" and "core" craze in mobile devices has only lead to decreased battery life from what I've seen. You'd think apps would open/close instantly and these devices would boot up rather quickly given the hardware we have now. Well, they don't.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I've asked this several times and have yet to get an answer anywhere. ;)

The "ghz" and "core" craze in mobile devices has only lead to decreased battery life from what I've seen. You'd think apps would open/close instantly and these devices would boot up rather quickly given the hardware we have now. Well, they don't.

Ever read tablet review sites? lol its usually just "this device compared to others and ipad". Hardware specs and a screenshot of the desktop and a video of an unboxing. I never see any sites do actual testing of the products. I would like to see them test doing the most common tasks and see how it compares to other devices.

And in unrelated news two months after I bought my Droid Razr, Motorola releases the "Maxx" which comes with a better battery and 32gb of storage. Really?? two months after the Razr is released lol.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□

i played with the 10in ones they seam more like a laptop replacement over a portable thing ... and they cost alot more
    i played with the 10in ones they seam more like a laptop replacement over a portable thing ... and they cost alot more

$299 is quite reasonable. (I paid NJ sales tax on both though.... icon_sad.gif )

Trust me...tablets are not laptop replacements (but they're close.) I could NOT write a paper on a tablet without a BT keyboard...and for going through all that trouble, I might as well write a paper on a laptop. Also, and maybe this is just me, but using my browser to visit forums like here actually sucks. I had attempted to post my news of finishing up WGU at a B&N right near the testing center I was at. My wifi was good (it always comes from my phone when I'm not at home...more secure that way. :) ). When I clicked on reply, I lost the post! Typing that post was already uncomfortable. I think there was a discussion about forum apps, but I forget where that was or even what app to use. But between work and home, I'm ok if I'm not on a forum on the tablet.

Tablets are more like laptop compliments. But not laptop replacements...no matter what screen-size you have.
    $299 is quite reasonable. (I paid NJ sales tax on both though.... icon_sad.gif )

Trust me...tablets are not laptop replacements (but they're close.) I could NOT write a paper on a tablet without a BT keyboard...and for going through all that trouble, I might as well write a paper on a laptop. Also, and maybe this is just me, but using my browser to visit forums like here actually sucks. I had attempted to post my news of finishing up WGU at a B&N right near the testing center I was at. My wifi was good (it always comes from my phone when I'm not at home...more secure that way. :) ). When I clicked on reply, I lost the post! Typing that post was already uncomfortable. I think there was a discussion about forum apps, but I forget where that was or even what app to use. But between work and home, I'm ok if I'm not on a forum on the tablet.

Tablets are more like laptop compliments. But not laptop replacements...no matter what screen-size you have.

I mentioned in another topic the typing lag issues I experienced with my Thrive. Its a forum-android issue with tablets, it made typing horrible. Firefox was brought up as a fix. Safari and Dolphin on my iPad never did it so I just assumed it was a hardware issue but its an Android issue.
    The cores vs battery debate has been going on for a long time. 2 cores at 100% could utilize more battery than 4 cores going at 25%. Granted, not all Android apps even take advantage of BOTH cores yet. I'm sure it'll take time before they can use all 4.
    I mentioned in another topic the typing lag issues I experienced with my Thrive. Its a forum-android issue with tablets, it made typing horrible. Firefox was brought up as a fix. Safari and Dolphin on my iPad never did it so I just assumed it was a hardware issue but its an Android issue.

Yes.....it's all coming back to me now. It was one those things that while I read it, didn't fully understand it because I hadn't really used the tablet for forums and also I was still in 70-643 mode. Now, it makes perfect sense.

Meh...that can just go in the "nice-to-have [but not critical]" pile.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    LucasMN wrote: »
    The cores vs battery debate has been going on for a long time. 2 cores at 100% could utilize more battery than 4 cores going at 25%. Granted, not all Android apps even take advantage of BOTH cores yet. I'm sure it'll take time before they can use all 4.

And battery life isn't getting any better. Now 4G is spreading? That saps it more than anything right now.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    SteveLord wrote: »
    And battery life isn't getting any better. Now 4G is spreading? That saps it more than anything right now.

That is an excellent point to consider. My Verizon MiFI dies in about 3 hours. I didn't care if my future tablet has 4G or not before. Now I am sternly against it. 4G is a battery killer.
    I have Verizon 4G and I spend most of the time in 3G before I did it to conserve battery but decided if I got it use it. Now half the time in Michigan I am in 3G or "No G" due to constant disconnects and reconnects. I did some Googling and people suggest switching it to airplane mode and back again, found there were even apps for shortcuts since it seemed there was a demand lol.
    I have Verizon 4G and I spend most of the time in 3G before I did it to conserve battery but decided if I got it use it. Now half the time in Michigan I am in 3G or "No G" due to constant disconnects and reconnects. I did some Googling and people suggest switching it to airplane mode and back again, found there were even apps for shortcuts since it seemed there was a demand lol.

I'm just curious, have you ever found an app that is a good VPN client, OR one that shortcuts to the regular VPN client. I have to click like five times before I input my credentials. That is one thing I enjoy about the phone...while tethered (via easytether) it makes an excellent VPN client.

What sucks about it though is that unlike Windows 7, I haven't found a way to not use the remote network's gateway. It's useful because I get the best of both worlds...the access to my organization's network, and my own outside internet access in case I have to test our NATed webservers from outside of the network, without shutting down the VPN.

Aside from that, it's not terrible.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am not into these small screens in the slightest... my kids love their Nook Tablets, and that is fine. If I get a tablet... I want a gi-normous screen. As a matter of fact, just before the original iPad was announced, I was coming up with specs for a 22" tablet w/ bluetooth connectivity for an external keyboard and mouse, if so desired. I would much prefer something like that.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    powerfool wrote: »
    I am not into these small screens in the slightest... my kids love their Nook Tablets, and that is fine. If I get a tablet... I want a gi-normous screen. As a matter of fact, just before the original iPad was announced, I was coming up with specs for a 22" tablet w/ bluetooth connectivity for an external keyboard and mouse, if so desired. I would much prefer something like that.

Interesting you say that. From CES this year:

Lenovo IdeaCentre A720 all-in-one hands-on (video) -- Engadget
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    It took me seeing this thread several times to realize that by "saving for a fire" you meant that you were saving for an Amazon Kindle Fire. icon_redface.gif

I think I'd still rather have the Asus Transformer Prime. I like the 10" form factor. Haven't used a 7" tablet though, so I guess I can't really compare.
    Everyone wrote: »
    It took me seeing this thread several times to realize that by "saving for a fire" you meant that you were saving for an Amazon Kindle Fire. icon_redface.gif

I think I'd still rather have the Asus Transformer Prime. I like the 10" form factor. Haven't used a 7" tablet though, so I guess I can't really compare.

I purchased my mother one for Christmas. She is absolutely in love with it. Reason being: it's setup for non-technical people, which she falls into that category. Simplicity is golden. Icons like books are big and easy to find. She uses the Fire for the intended purpose which is reading, games, websurfing and light e-mailing.

I have 2 10" tablets and certainly enjoy having more screen real estate, but can see how a 7" would be better in some situations where a bigger tablet isn't feasable. Think supermarket shopping. It's hard to 1 hand a 10", and no real place to put it when not using it. Whereas a 7" can be held by 1 hand easily, and I can put it in my pocket when I don't need it out.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i like the look of the 10in tablets but the portability of a 7in seams like it would fit my life style better

i want something i can toss in my backpack or put in cargo pocket of my pants easily and something i can hold easily
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    See I'd use my Droid X when I'm on the go, 4.3" screen on that. I couldn't see carrying around that phone AND a 7" tablet. 7" just seems weird to me, too big for a phone, too small for a tablet. Maybe just the right size for a display in a car, like for a GPS or something.
    I'm just curious, have you ever found an app that is a good VPN client, OR one that shortcuts to the regular VPN client. I have to click like five times before I input my credentials. That is one thing I enjoy about the phone...while tethered (via easytether) it makes an excellent VPN client.

What sucks about it though is that unlike Windows 7, I haven't found a way to not use the remote network's gateway. It's useful because I get the best of both worlds...the access to my organization's network, and my own outside internet access in case I have to test our NATed webservers from outside of the network, without shutting down the VPN.

Aside from that, it's not terrible.

No, haven't needed to VPN in a while, new jobs don't let me work from home anymore /cry
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    7inch, tegra 3, 4 cores, $250? I will buy this!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

Trust me...tablets are not laptop replacements (but they're close.) I could NOT write a paper on a tablet without a BT keyboard...and for going through all that trouble, I might as well write a paper on a laptop.

Bingo. Tablets are best used as content consumption devices, not production devices. If you integrate it into your life under it's intended function, you will see benefits from it. If you try and make it into something it isn't, the benefits will be wiped out by the resulting frustration.
    Bingo. Tablets are best used as content consumption devices, not production devices. If you integrate it into your life under it's intended function, you will see benefits from it. If you try and make it into something it isn't, the benefits will be wiped out by the resulting frustration.

I second this. Not many people understand what their purpose is for.
    Lol Microsoft def making money with Android

LG Deal Means Bigger Android Payday for Microsoft | PCWorld Business Center
    Tech patent and intellectual property analyst Florian Mueller notes in a blog post that Microsoft and LG have entered into a licensing agreement that covers LG’s Android and Chrome OS devices. The agreement is actually an extension of an existing agreement between the two that covers LG’s Linux-based embedded devices.
    In October of last year, Goldman Sachs projected that Microsoft will make $444 million from Android devices in 2012 as a result of the licensing agreements in place at the time. With the addition of LG devices, it is possible that Microsoft could make more than half a billion dollars from the sale of smartphones and tablets it is competing with. It’s not a bad deal if you can get it. Imagine if Coca Cola got a cut every time someone bought a bottle of Pepsi, or if Ford got a check every time someone bought a Toyota. Basically, Microsoft is in a very win-win position where even if it loses the mobile market, it still rakes in the cash.
    Android and Google’s Chrome OS are positioned as “open source” platforms, but patent litigation and licensing agreements such as this one between Microsoft and LG show that “free” sometimes comes at a cost. Microsoft is making an estimated $5 per Android device sold.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I really like the 7" form factor. I've had an iPad 2 for a while (received as a gift) but never really liked the heft. I got an Iconia A100 on Black Friday and haven't touched the iPad since.
    Microsoft has received five times more income from Android than from Windows Phone | asymco
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV