Options

FoxConn workers threaten mass suicide

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    "Employees have reportedly been asked to sign a "no suicide" pact."

After reading this I definitely appreciate the crappiest job I ever had.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    If you work there, don't drink the Kool-Aid being passed around tomorrow. ;)
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah Foxconn is regularly used to bash Apple on Engadget yet they make a ton of other products. I doubt geeks would boycott all their electronics over worker welfare lol.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is terrible. I just showed this article to someone here at work who is semi-tech savvy and an Apple fan, couldn't believe their reaction. Their response was " I didn't know Apple products were made in China, all their products say made in California." I had to break the bad news to them that "Designed in California" is a lot different that "Made in California." Really goes to show how blind some people are when it comes to Apple products. Of course this person figured that the big bad Microsoft had ties to Chinese manufacturing............ Not to get too off point here though, clearly this Foxconn operation is out of control but it's doubtful things will change which is sad.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Not to get too off point here though, clearly this Foxconn operation is out of control but it's doubtful things will change which is sad.

Things will change, but slowly, and will require more nuisance before change happens. All of the pro-worker laws, etc. that we have here in the US didn't happen overnight either.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Anyone else remember the anti-suicide nets they put outside the office windows? ;)

15384_Foxconn_Suicide_Nets.jpg
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    This is terrible. I just showed this article to someone here at work who is semi-tech savvy and an Apple fan, couldn't believe their reaction. Their response was " I didn't know Apple products were made in China, all their products say made in California." I had to break the bad news to them that "Designed in California" is a lot different that "Made in California." Really goes to show how blind some people are when it comes to Apple products. Of course this person figured that the big bad Microsoft had ties to Chinese manufacturing............ Not to get too off point here though, clearly this Foxconn operation is out of control but it's doubtful things will change which is sad.

The thing is most of the stuff we buy is made in the same factories lol.
  • Options
    crypticgeekcrypticgeek Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There was a very excellent episode of This American Life on the Foxconn factory in Shenzhen recently. Highly recommended listen to anyone who loves their consumer electronics, as Foxconn makes a staggering amount of them. Real human beings are paying a price to feed our insatiable technolust, and it makes me more than a bit disgusted. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    There was a very excellent episode of This American Life on the Foxconn factory in Shenzhen recently. Highly recommended listen to anyone who loves their consumer electronics, as Foxconn makes a staggering amount of them. Real human beings are paying a price to feed our insatiable technolust, and it makes me more than a bit disgusted. icon_sad.gif

But how many of us are willing to give up buying the stuff? I had a guy on Facebook complaining about iPhones and iPads and the work conditions they are made in. I brought up the fact that he was complaining using devices are made the same place and if he didn't want to support it he should just stop using the internet.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Most electronic devices are made in China these days and have been for years. Just one reason why the container port in Singapore is the biggest operation in the world. I opened an old 4000 series router a few years ago and removed an ISDN card which had 'Made in the USA' on it.

No longer. All made possible by Western venture capitalists years back. Enjoy your gadgets, other people are paying a heavy price to produce them.
  • Options
    crypticgeekcrypticgeek Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Apparently Apple is working hard to change their public image when in comes to the workers in their suppliers' factories according to this. Tim Cook's Email to Apple Staff Regarding Supplier Responsibility Report - Mac Rumors