Starting CCNA Exploration Academy

gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just wanted to post that I have started my classes at my local CC for my CCNA via the CCNA Academy. I just want to thank everyone whose posted before as I have been reading various posts on CCNA and other various topics. I really excited about this and looking forward to learning a lot and having fun.

Besides the usual advance of studying and labbing, is there anything else anyone can advise? I currently have a tech support job for a software company (learning management software) and am hoping to use this and my other skills/traits to get into a better IT job.

Again thanks everyone for your posts and looking to become a regular around here.

Comments

• craigaaroncraigaaron Member Posts: 132
    videos are good also to review material
    Currently Studying: CCNP Security
    300-206 - Completed 04-Jul-2014
    300-209 - Completed 09-May-2017
    300-208 - TBC
    300-210 - TBC
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Know what the "Reload cancel" command is, in the class setting. Hopefully you won't.

How much was your class?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    It's great that you've ended up with Exploration as opposed to Discovery. The Exploration books are much better IMHO. Since you're going through a CC this will take you 2 semesters. If you plan to take the CCNA at the end, I would suggest labbing as much as you can beyond the packet tracer offerings. So, if your covering OSPF, lab all the Packet tracer labs a few times, then search out more labs. Then, time permitting, for each lab, build up the layout from the ground up. What I mean is if you are doing a lab on OSPF security, do the lab from the Exploration book so you get the concept, then build that same design from scratch including connections, hostnames, passwords, etc. Once your comfortable with the foundational stuff, look for troubleshooting labs. Lastly, you'll need to review after you finish the courses as things you learn now will be close to forgotten come the end of the second semester. Carry on and good luck!
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    onesaint wrote: »
    It's great that you've ended up with Exploration as opposed to Discovery. The Exploration books are much better IMHO. Since you're going through a CC this will take you 2 semesters. If you plan to take the CCNA at the end, I would suggest labbing as much as you can beyond the packet tracer offerings. So, if your covering OSPF, lab all the Packet tracer labs a few times, then search out more labs. Then, time permitting, for each lab, build up the layout from the ground up. What I mean is if you are doing a lab on OSPF security, do the lab from the Exploration book so you get the concept, then build that same design from scratch including connections, hostnames, passwords, etc. Once your comfortable with the foundational stuff, look for troubleshooting labs. Lastly, you'll need to review after you finish the courses as things you learn now will be close to forgotten come the end of the second semester. Carry on and good luck!

QFT.

And make sure you take full advantage of every second of hands on time you get. When I did the Exploration classes, we had racks of 2811 routers and 2960 switches available to use. And at the end of the final class, you'll have access to a practice CCNA exam. This exam will be a very good indicator of whether or not you are ready for the real thing.
  • gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice guys. roguetadhg, i havent heard of that command yet but I will be on the look out for it. In all its going to be around $1200 since itts $100/credit hour and a total 12 hours. Since I am starting in January, Ill be done by the end of July. Since I was going for my AS, i figured it was worth the cost since its part of my curriculum.

I was thinking about getting some equipment and practice labbing at home...what do you guys think?

Again, thanks for the advice and encouragement.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Learn gsn3 first before getting equipment
    CBT Nuggets Player

It emulates certain cisco routers (runs the ios images)
    Can use gsn3 + a few switches.

Having real equipment can be more fun(is for me) than just running software.

I'd use the course equipment as much as possible, use some of the free online labs (freeccnaworkbook.com, packet life etc)
    then look at getting equipment.

Have a read of some of the more recent equipment threads - make sure to check the date of the threads.

CertSkills, LLC > Home is pretty good just the pricing is rather out of date.

What ever you do DO NOT BUY LAB KITS - they are premium prices for old equipment.

Also learn to use wireshark.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014