Bought a used router and got a problem...please advise.

JFreakJFreak Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have bought a used router. It's 2651 cisco router. The seller posts the router come with 12.4 ios. However it is 12.2 version. So I sent an email to ask the seller. He gave me a link that I would be able to download c2600-ipbase-mz.124-5.bin so I need to upgrade myself.

My concerns are:

1. Is it safe to follow the link and upgrade the ios? Do I need to concern about security or virus?
2. This router has 128 MB Ram and 32 MB Flash ... Is it enough to upgrade to 12.4 ios.

I bought it 120 dollars. Should I upgrade it or return the router back to the seller?

Thank you

Comments

• sasprosaspro Member Posts: 114
    Depends on where the link goes.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For things like this, it helps to get to know the Cisco Feature Navigator.

1. I don't know where the link goes, so I can't say if it's safe or not.
    2. That image requires 64MB ram and 16MB Flash. It should run fine on your router.

But either way, tracking down the IOS image you want usually isn't that big of a deal, so don't return it over that. And in the meantime, 12.2 will do most of what you need at this level anyway.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    One thing to look for in the future when you buy off ebay (or wherever) is to see if a show version output is listed as part of the auction. Then you will know the IOS is what they are claiming (or you will have proof they flat out lied). Either way it helps.

Also, the process of digging into what memory you need to run which IOS and the process for upgrading the IOS can be overwhelming at first, but it's actually a good thing to go through. You'll learn a ton, so keep asking questions and searching and you'll come out of this process better for having gone through it.