Need help!! Need to pass asap!!!

mekarbomekarbo Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

So...I might just be the only loser out there that can't pass this test. I failed it twice already. To make myself clear, I'm not stupid, I just can't memorize from reading! It bores me too much!!

I HAVE to pass this test in the next month or so though for my job. icon_rolleyes.gif If I don't...I might be out of it. Any advice or anything can be helpful...

Also, I've been taking the sy0-201 the last two times but now I hear it changed to sy0-301...do I have to take that one now?? I went to schedule the test and the sy0-201 option is still available...does that mean I can still take that one??

If not, do I need new materials for sy0-301??

Anyone that can help...I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
Megan

Comments

• swildswild Member Posts: 828
    It's really not about memorizing. It's about learning. Try this and see if it helps:

Professor Messer's Free CompTIA SY0-301 Security+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

If you are a visual learner, this may be the ticket. Try making flashcards. Try paraphrasing the chapters of your book in your own words, physically writing them, not typing. It takes longer but one of those methods may help. If you can find out what type of learner you are, you can find out which of these will help the most.

I learn from reading and doing, but absolutely can't retain anything from a lecture. Everyone is different.

Look up "learning styles inventory" and take a few of the quick quizzes. They can help determine your learning style.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If I where you I would do this ASAP: https://secure.cbtnuggets.com/subscriptions/cram

You have 24 hours to view the videos for the Sec+ and you get the Transcender test questions with it. View the sections that you are weak in and then use the practice questions and you will pass. Its only $24 so you can't go wrong.

Also what ever you do DO NOT GO LOOKING FOR ****!!!!!!!!! They will be outdated and you will fail. If any site says acutal test questions or anything close leave the site right then!

Stick to the videos that both swild and I have given you links to and you will pass.
  • mekarbomekarbo Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much for the responses!! I will look into both...

I did see one about braindumps or something and was going to get that so thanks for preventing me from wasting money!!

I'm actually a "do" learner...I learn best from actually doing things so without actually work to do hands on, that is why I have a hard time getting this stuff.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you also can pickup the subjects uou can also get try to get the MP3's from Prep Logic or Shon Harris.

Good Luck!
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That is one of the hard things about the Sec+ is that not everything can be done in a lab. A lot of it is concepts of ho certain things work. You wont be able to see how a lot of it works right there on your screen because so much is done behind the scene. I really think the videos will help out a lot. Also as far as ****. They are no good even if they are up to date which they never are. You can lose your certs if its found out that you used them and be banned from taking anymore through that vendor. Also it proves nothing when you take the test and already know the questions being asked and the answers to them. It's never good to be a cheater. You will get it this time around.

If you are going to take the test a little while from now get this: http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Certified-Ahead-SY0-301/dp/1463762364/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1326480077&sr=8-3

It may be a book but its the best one out there. It is what I used almost exclusively and got an 850 on the test. Darril is also a member of the forums here so he can help with issues that you run into as well with both the test and the book.

Hang in there and you will pass this no problem next time around.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Darril has his 301 book on Kindle now as well, so you can get it immediately. Download the Kindle app, then get the book from Amazon for $9.99.
  • superjerelmansuperjerelman Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Use Professor Messer or Cbt Nuggets videos! It should help you! Good Luck!!!!!
    BS:IT from WGU.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    mekarbo wrote: »
    Hello,

So...I might just be the only loser out there that can't pass this test. I failed it twice already. To make myself clear, I'm not stupid, I just can't memorize from reading! It bores me too much!!

I HAVE to pass this test in the next month or so though for my job. icon_rolleyes.gif If I don't...I might be out of it. Any advice or anything can be helpful...

Also, I've been taking the sy0-201 the last two times but now I hear it changed to sy0-301...do I have to take that one now?? I went to schedule the test and the sy0-201 option is still available...does that mean I can still take that one??

If not, do I need new materials for sy0-301??

Anyone that can help...I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Megan

Megan,

Sorry to hear this is challenging, but you certainly aren't the only person that has found it difficult. I applaud your persistence. I don't know how you approached this exam before, but a quote comes to mind from Albert Einstein defining insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Whatever you do, I'd suggest it needs to be something different. Others on this forum have given you some great advice and I hope it's useful.

The SY0-201 exam was retired on December 31, 2011 so the only exam you can take at this time is the SY0-301 exam. On your question about needing new materials for the exam... Absolutely. The 301 exam is different from the 201 exam. Some people have been able to study the 201 materials and fill in the holes by comparing the objectives for 301. However, if the 201 exam was challenging for you I wouldn't suggest this method but instead suggest you focus only on 301 materials.

HTH and Good Luck,

Darril Gibson
  • WaltahWaltah Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Megan, you didn't mention what materials you have used so far but I learn similair to you. I am a very hands on and visual learner. Reading and applying isn't my first choice when I think about learning.

With that said. For $26 + s/h I ordered this Study Guide Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide (9781463762360): Darril Gibson: Books.

It is very engaging and easy to read. It's not like trying to cram a text book. It's interesting, sometimes humorous, and equipped with real world scenarios to keep you engaged in the book. Like I said, I don't enjoy reading to learn but I have REALLY enjoyed this book and found that the Q&A reviews coupled with the explanation sections have kept me occupied and not bored. I have done one chapter a day so far and the knowledge sticks due to the way it is presented.
    A.A.B - Computer Information Systems (Cisco)
    A.A.S - Cyber Transport Systems (3D1X2)
    In Progress:
    B.S. - Management Information Systems :study: