Options

Convert EXE to MSI for deployment ?

halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
Hello Guys!

What is the best tool and practices to convert and deploy a msi file ? What is the best tool to convert exe to msi ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What kind of file is it? Is it a setup file and are you going to deploy it via a GPO or something. I used this software once in the past and it worked > Free Windows Installer - MSI Installer Tool
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    There is no downloadable MSI for it I'm guessing? Depending on what it is, you may be able to extract the MSI from it. Take adobe reader for example. The last time I went to download the MSI they didn't have the newest version in MSI format. I downloaded the exe, extracted the MSI by using "C:\Adobereaderlocation.exe –nos_ne"
  • Options
    halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    Thanks for the reply guys. Yes it was thru GPO and we had the option to do it from MDT during deployment. I'll check on that. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What is if that you are trying to deploy? There could already be usable switches for the .exe or there could already be an embedded .msi file in the .exe.
  • Options
    phonetic.manphonetic.man Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use PDQ Deploy at work for things like IE, Firefox, Flash and Java. It works for whatever you want to use it with. I like it because it has the option to do silent installs (this way I can do updates or installs and not bother a user).

For me, it seems to be easier to use MSI files with it because the program includes a check box for silent installs. For the few exe files I have, its just a matter of searching out how to make it a silent install (usually just a quick switch or two that you can add in an option box inside the program itself).

I went as far as to sign up with Adobe so that I could download and use MSI files from them rather than deal with things like an exe.
    Currently studying: Backup Academy, CWNA, MCSA:08, iBoss ISCP