Senior Project - Alittle help...

CompUBugCompUBug Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
For my senior project, I'm representing a contractor of which will be assisting the Network Setup of a company who is mitigrating their network from 3 locations into one. Well they have an offsite location in Virginia of which they want me to make secure as it contains very confidential information. At the same time they want officials in this facility to beable to monitor the rest of their WAN while noone without authorization is able to enter their LAN in Virginia. How would you perform this?

Comments

• martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    I hope i am not posting in another "do my homework" thread :D.

So to not take out the fun for you i am just throwing in some quick points:
    who is mitigrating their network from 3 locations into one

depending on the absolute numer of clients, subnet per location or throw, them all together in one bowl, restructure per department using VLANs and apply inter vlan routing or layer 3 switching according to the needs of the employees.
    offsite location in Virginia of which they want me to make secure as it contains very confidential information
    you need a WAN connection and some access lists, authetication on you routing protocol and all the standard security stuff
    At the same time they want officials in this facility to beable to monitor the rest of their WAN while noone without authorization is able to enter their LAN in Virginia

use port security on all devices, install SSH, apply access lists

this is my basic concept.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • fluk3dfluk3d Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CompUBug wrote: »
    For my senior project, I'm representing a contractor of which will be assisting the Network Setup of a company who is mitigrating their network from 3 locations into one. Well they have an offsite location in Virginia of which they want me to make secure as it contains very confidential information. At the same time they want officials in this facility to beable to monitor the rest of their WAN while noone without authorization is able to enter their LAN in Virginia. How would you perform this?

One important thing to keep in mind is the businesses budget. Depending how much money they are willing to spend they can accomplish the same results in various ways. IPS/IDS systems would be highly recommended depending on the size of the organization, and it will benefit the security/network admins so they can monitor each aspect of the network from one single spot.

On a side note, when you mention confidential data are they bound to any requirements HIPPA, SORB etc.. if so this might change the design of how you plan on implementing the project.

just my 2 cents..
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein