Options

failed 70-640

dhendersondhenderson Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys

Took the exam today, gutted, failed with 497. icon_sad.gif. Was my first attempt at a MS exam though. Went into panic mode when i started answering some of the questions. Want another go at it asap but lacking in confidence at the minute. Need to pass it for work so am eager to get it out the way.

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Lab a lot and get familiar with command lines.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome to TE. What was your study plan like? That may be the key issue here.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Welcome to TE. What was your study plan like? That may be the key issue here.

My company sent me on two microsoft courses the end of last year, ive just been doing practice exams, scoring over 90% on them. I crammed in ADCS, DNS the whole lot the night before. I got 497 (Not sure if im allowed to say that?). Ive also been reading the 70-640 MS Press kit, im tempted to use transcender tests now as i used measureup.

Ive also built myself a PC and been running Server 2008 R2 VMS on it and practising.

Am i doing anything wrong?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dhenderson wrote: »
    My company sent me on two microsoft courses the end of last year, ive just been doing practice exams, scoring over 90% on them. I crammed in ADCS, DNS the whole lot the night before. I got 497 (Not sure if im allowed to say that?). Ive also been reading the 70-640 MS Press kit, im tempted to use transcender tests now as i used measureup.

Ive also built myself a PC and been running Server 2008 R2 VMS on it and practising.

Am i doing anything wrong?

Sounds like you need some more time to absorb the material. Here's what I'd do:
    1. download the exam objectives
    2. Continue labbing through all the objectives.
    3. Use technet to get information to fill in the blanks.
    4. the Server 2008 R2 unleashed book is a good resource. It's big, but packed with information.
    5. Take a look through the 640 notes in the top of this forum, lots of good links there to specific stuff.

btw: welcome to forum and yes , you can disclose your score.
  • Options
    mcitp_gurumcitp_guru Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Check out your results sheet, it will be clear which topic areas you are lacking knowledge/skills in. I'd re-read the ms press chapters and do all the labs. Also you might want to look at getting some training video's like CBT Nuggets.

Lastly, find/get some new practice exams - using the same ones over and over is a poor indicator of actual knowledge and only a better indicator of your memory of the questions and answers.
    Check out my blog for information on the MCITP Certification.
  • Options
    sherrillsherrill Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mcitp_guru wrote: »
    Check out your results sheet, it will be clear which topic areas you are lacking knowledge/skills in. I'd re-read the ms press chapters and do all the labs. Also you might want to look at getting some training video's like CBT Nuggets.

Lastly, find/get some new practice exams - using the same ones over and over is a poor indicator of actual knowledge and only a better indicator of your memory of the questions and answers.

I'll second that. I failed the 640 on my first go and realized that I needed a new set of practice questions as I was beginning to become familiar with the questions and the subsequent answers.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I crammed in ADCS, DNS the whole lot the night before.
    Don't do it. If you haven't learned in weeks/months you won't learn it the night before.

I suggest getting additional books. MS Press can be dense sometimes and a fresh point of view certainly helps. Mcitp_guru's suggestion of CBT Nuggets or Trainsignal is also good. Don't forget about our old friend Technet. Finally hit that lab as much as you can.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your comments and advice.

I am strongly considering buying a trainsignal pack as i am doing the MCITP: EA over the next 3 years and am wondering if the videos could help me as a filler when i am doing courses as well. I intend to buy another practice kit like Transcender for this exam.

My full attention is on 70-640 at the minute, it was disheartening failing with such a low score as i changed a few answers here and there but i just need to get my confidence back up , hit the books, use my lab and have another go.
  • Options
    method115method115 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all your comments and advice.

I am strongly considering buying a trainsignal pack as i am doing the MCITP: EA over the next 3 years and am wondering if the videos could help me as a filler when i am doing courses as well. I intend to buy another practice kit like Transcender for this exam.

My full attention is on 70-640 at the minute, it was disheartening failing with such a low score as i changed a few answers here and there but i just need to get my confidence back up , hit the books, use my lab and have another go.

I've heard several complaints about the trainsignal videos. I would suggest getting the CBT nuggets videos they get much better reviews from what I've seen on forums. I've been using CBT for my 70-640 and have no complaints, but I've never tried trainsignal so I can't compare.
  • Options
    GrimmyGrimmy Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys

Took the exam today, gutted, failed with 497. icon_sad.gif. Was my first attempt at a MS exam though. Went into panic mode when i started answering some of the questions. Want another go at it asap but lacking in confidence at the minute. Need to pass it for work so am eager to get it out the way.

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks
    I failed mine with a similar score on Friday icon_neutral.gif

I will admit, I need to lab more and get more hands on with ADCS. I am a nervous wreck when it comes to taking exams.
  • Options
    Grimmy wrote: »
    I failed mine with a similar score on Friday icon_neutral.gif

I will admit, I need to lab more and get more hands on with ADCS. I am a nervous wreck when it comes to taking exams.

Unlucky, im exactly the same as you when it comes to exams, CS was my strong point but i need to get some hands on experience with Server 2008 R2 and AD before i rebook.
  • Options
    zeraliuszeralius Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed today too...pretty bummed out. I went through CBTNuggets 70-640 videos, twice, and used Kaplan's self tests. I think I became too familiar with the questions and as a result was over confident for the test. I'm going to lab more and use technet and take another shot in two weeks.
  • Options
    MrNetTekMrNetTek Member Posts: 100 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi Guys

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks

I'm actually gearing up to start studying for the 70-640 (just passed a Win 7 exam). Labs are your friend. Look for labs online, and then create the scenerios in your own lab. Make sure you know each objective inside and out. Videos are great, but they don't have the challenge and response that is necessary to pass an exam.

What I recommend:
    http://www.techexams.net/attachments/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/1641d1322372422-640-642-study-notes-640_642_part1.doc
    http://www.techexams.net/attachments/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/1642d1322372431-640-642-study-notes-640_642_part2.doc
    http://www.techexams.net/attachments/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/1643d1322372443-640-642-study-notes-640_642_part3.doc
    (found on techexams.net)

Read all the summaries for each chapter again in your MS-Press book - understanding each item covered.

Go through all the questions in the your MS-Press book making sure you understand the technology behind the question, not just the answer.

Do the labs in your MS-Press book.

Watch your videos again, this time taking notes - this forces you to be more active in the video learning process

Read this thread on Lab Creation - http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/52039-70-640-home-virtual-lab-creation.html

Read Claymoore's post, it's great: http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/42880-70-640-resources.html

Eddie Jackson (aka MrNetTek)
    Eddie Jackson - Professional Profile
  • Options
    Unlucky, im exactly the same as you when it comes to exams, CS was my strong point but i need to get some hands on experience with Server 2008 R2 and AD before i rebook.

You might also try a specific book on CS, or check out CS on technet.
  • Options
    shivrajsinh01shivrajsinh01 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sherrill wrote: »
    I'll second that. I failed the 640 on my first go and realized that I needed a new set of practice questions as I was beginning to become familiar with the questions and the subsequent answers.

Dear friend ,

I wanna ISO file of this NOs... Did u have link of this ..
    please share it...
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dear friend ,

please share it...

Now where's my Glock?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    method115method115 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dear friend ,

please share it...

It's amazing to me how all foreigners seem to fully understand the word friend.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    method115 wrote: »
    It's amazing to me how all foreigners seem to fully understand the word friend.

Probably for the same reason English may not be his/her first language.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    Back to the topic in hand, ive rebooked my exam for the 12th March, im reading through every objective on the MS Press kit , just need to finish DNS, Group Policy and Certificate Services. I am also labbing using the exercises. I must admit that im feeling more confident as i am going through it and its staying in my head.
  • Options
    I am also labbing using the exercises. I must admit that im feeling more confident as i am going through it and its staying in my head.

That's the key to right there.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Psoasman wrote: »
    That's the key to right there.
    Back when I took my 70-640 it was VERY CA heavy!! Just keep labbing away and you will knock it out.

icon_study.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    SaundieSaundie Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately I have failed the 70-640 exam twice now, having made the admittedly foolish error of relying on the Trainsignal and CBT Nugget videos as my only sources of information. The videos give you a general overview of how things work, which is fine for things like creating users etc but it's useless for RMS, DNS and FS. Both times I sat the exam I found myself not knowing anything about the command line and so missing a bunch of questions. I had it all set up in a lab by following along with the training videos, and had everything working (pretty much), but the truth is that I don't understand why it works because I've just followed instructions.

I'm going to have a look at the Microsoft Press self-paced kit and go through the exercises, as this seems to help most people. I wish you the best of luck for your retake on the 12th of March, and don't be shocked if the number of questions increases (I don't think I'm breaking any rules by saying that!).
  • Options
    Saundie wrote: »
    and don't be shocked if the number of questions increases (I don't think I'm breaking any rules by saying that!).

You aren't. MS has increased the questions on some of their exams. I took the 642 and it had 77 questions.