Options

First IT Job Finally Obtained!

XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
After working help desk at the current company I'm working at (non-IT related), an opening came up at a mobility company where I know someone. After three interviews over three weeks, plus a good word from my contact, I finally got the job as a System Analyst. I will be supporting cell phones such as Android, iOS, and Blackberry. This is a HUGE move up for me, especially since all I have is A+ and a liberal arts BA. Looks like I'll be going down the not so often walked path of Blackberry certs (and other MS related ones). I can hardly wait!!! Timing was great. It's a good thing I knew someone there. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't even have gotten interviewed. I passed all their tests. They even handed me a Blackberry to troubleshoot, left me alone for ten minutes and I had it fixed even though I don't mess with them (and no, it wasn't as simple as doing a hard reset :P ).

This is my first IT job. :D:D:D I can't wait to start!!!

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm on a helpdesk now and we troubleshoot blackberries too. I think those are the worst calls lol. Most times, the fix is to recreate the BES, wipe the blackberry, or a hard reset. Tough stuff when you lack the knowledge to actually reasonably troubleshoot a problem with the blackberries. I seem to resolve the issues but as stated, its usually one of the above fixes.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!! Blackberries are a PITA, I can tell you that. And the best resource for troubleshooting are the various BB forums out there.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ddcengineerddcengineer Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is awesome!!!! :) Congratulations!
    Achievements: CCNA Nov 2011 | CCNP Route Jan 2012 | Switch June 2012 | TSHOOT July 2012 CCNP | CCNA Voice Oct
    Projected Timeline: CCNP Voice CVoice Oct | CIPT1 Nov | CIPT2 Dec | TVoice Jan | CApps Feb :cheers:
  • Options
    It sounds like I should be reading up on Blackberries this weekend. This job encourages Blackberry certification, so it is something I need to do any ways. Thanks for the suggestions! I will do some research this week. I'm hoping my (limited) jail breaking and rooting experience will help in this job as well. If nothing else, it will give me a good idea what's wrong with the phones when users call in.

Ah, I can't wait to start! I just have to wait for a background check to clear and then they want me to start ASAP! So much to learn there! And they said Android is becoming more and more popular with their clients, so hopefully I'll get plenty of chances to learn new stuff for Android. :D:D:D
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Congrats!

You'll want to read up on Exchange, specifically ActiveSync, and also look into the various MDMs out there. BES is only annoying until you figure out when the carrier incorrectly provisioning a device is the cause of many problems. It has come a long way, you have a ton of information available to you with the monitoring service of version 5.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    XiaoTech wrote: »
    After working help desk at the current company I'm working at (non-IT related), an opening came up at a mobility company where I know someone. After three interviews over three weeks, plus a good word from my contact, I finally got the job as a System Analyst. I will be supporting cell phones such as Android, iOS, and Blackberry. This is a HUGE move up for me, especially since all I have is A+ and a liberal arts BA. Looks like I'll be going down the not so often walked path of Blackberry certs (and other MS related ones). I can hardly wait!!! Timing was great. It's a good thing I knew someone there. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't even have gotten interviewed. I passed all their tests. They even handed me a Blackberry to troubleshoot, left me alone for ten minutes and I had it fixed even though I don't mess with them (and no, it wasn't as simple as doing a hard reset :P ).

Awesome stuff man! Learn those hand helds you will be getting to know them extremely well!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This job encourages Blackberry certification

It's nice to work for a company who communicates what they value and what they see value in.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lots of the calls are "My blackberry's not syncing with outlook". I can't stand the syncing issues. I wasn't even aware that there were blackberry certifications. Something to look into. Android is so much easier to deal with.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Lots of the calls are "My blackberry's not syncing with outlook". I can't stand the syncing issues. I wasn't even aware that there were blackberry certifications. Something to look into. Android is so much easier to deal with.

They are still relatively new. They came up with the certifications around the same time version 5 was released. They were giving out a free voucher for their new certs when you purchased an upgrade to 5 for a while. Place I was working for at the time got the upgrade, but I never did get my voucher, so I never took the test.
  • Options
    Finally got word back from the company that my background check passed and that I can start anytime ASAP! I'm going to give my current place of employment notice today, but I'm 100% positive it is going to be dismissed once I hand them my notice since: a, I've been with the company less than 90 days; b, They were going to start my full training class next week (everything up until now has been on the job); c, They just hired two other people with experience.

I'm still unsure whether to give them notice in the morning or before I leave. A three day weekend before my new job wouldn't be a bad idea. Plus I could probably finish all the paper work necessary to get hired at my new job tomorrow.

I went to sleep at 8pm last night because I needed to do something to get my mind off the e-mail that says I'm officially hired. Now that I got the e-mail that I can work, I'm not sure if I'll be able to go back to sleep! Minus the part on telling customers to just do hard resets, this is like a dream job. Working with new smart phones and tablets!
  • Options
    My work accepted my one week notice. I was really hoping they would tell me to leave. At least they seem calm about the whole situation.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

Congrats on getting your first IT job!!

I’m confused; I thought the blackberry outage would diminish Black Berry’s presence in the market. Are they still a big player, or are there a lot of people and companies tied to blackberry via contracts?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    More and more of their clients are using Android phones from what I've heard, however a large portion of their clients still use Blackberry. So that's why BB certs are valued at the company.
  • Options
    Started today. Was pretty great! There is so much information I'm going to have to learn. Got a company laptop and access to BlackBerry study materials. It looks like its far more in depth than I imagined it would be. They said it would take me six months to get certified if I really studied hard, so it looks like this cert is no push over. Oh, and they have a bunch of mobile devices to practice with as well (on site). Its a geeks dream job! I'm gonna love here!!!!
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's great to hear, definitely come back and let us know how you like the new job.
  • Options
    It looks like I'm learning a lot about basics in corporate e-mail and how work with servers virtually. There is a lot more to this job than just cell phones. I'm so happy to have it! This will probably be my last update on the job until I get done with training in a few weeks. Since I have a company laptop with a wealth of information to read, I'm going to study as much as I can during my off hours. As an added bonus, a lot of my coworkers have similar hobbies (either in gaming or technology, which is natural), so I'm really loving this job more than just the work!