D-Link DFE 580TX for CCIE Lab

ITtech2010ITtech2010 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone know where I can find these D-Link DFE 580TX or at least a quad card 1g for my switches. I've been search online and i am not sure which one to get or if it has trunking capabilities. I want to be able to have my manager purchase these so we can get a lab built as soon as possible with GNS3. We already have a pc we just need quad nics with 1g to install in machine for lab.

I went to d-link and they don't make these anymore.

Websites to purchase these would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITtech2010 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find these D-Link DFE 580TX or at least a quad card 1g for my switches. I've been search online and i am not sure which one to get or if it has trunking capabilities. I want to be able to have my manager purchase these so we can get a lab built as soon as possible with GNS3. We already have a pc we just need quad nics with 1g to install in machine for lab.

I went to d-link and they don't make these anymore.

Websites to purchase these would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Have you tried ebay?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • ITtech2010ITtech2010 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have but that model on ebay is coming from a user in hong kong. So can't rely on that and there rep is very low. I saw other quads online but It doesn't say if the quads have trunking capabilities so I was hoping for help on which 1gb nics you guys bought that are known to work for a ccie lab. I can then relay this info to my manager to purchase.
  • ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    Hello,
    Besides the D-Links you can try the following:
    Adaptec ANA-62044 quad port nics OR
    Sun Quad Fast PCI Ethernet Card 501-4366

For the Sun nic you will require Linux(Ubuntu).

I got mine from ebay.co.uk

Hope this helps.

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • ITtech2010ITtech2010 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you I will try that!
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    I use the D-Link DFE 580TX in my labs and supports Dot1Q tagging - although not documented by D-link

I got mine from ebay from a UK seller called: adam_stickman
    I bought a good few from him and he had loads in stock, drop him a message - £20 - £25 each can't remember which.

No drivers for them for Windows7 or XP 64 bit .

Work perfectly in Linux - I use Mint 12

EDIT:

eBay My World - adam_stickman
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • jameshardy2012jameshardy2012 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi I got 3 from ebay uk - £25 each

seller still has some

Dlink DFE-580TX Quad server NIC card | eBay
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have one of these cards. Bought it in 2009 for £90 and couldn't use it as there were no Windows drivers.

However, if there are linux drivers, I am assuming I can use this in a VMWare server?

Would be nice.
  • jameshardy2012jameshardy2012 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I doubt its supportted but some guy has hacked it to work..

VMWare Custom Driver - Zetaguru

would probably just google "esx whitebox" for NICS that do work :D

I have a Lenovo A85 that runs Vsphere 5 out of the box - no hassles with drivers
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Don't mind if it's not supported - just want it to work!

:D
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    the quad port sun PCI-X ones work if you can fit them in the case (i have 3 on my Virt lab which has now replaced actual routers) as PCI-X is two PCI slots i can't use them on some as the cards hit mobo's heatsinks etc. They show as having MTU of 1500 on ifconfig but i have had no issue running dot1q/isl from real 3550's into them.