Options

Gmail for Business

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Anyone using Gmail for Business? I am thinking of getting a domain setup and I use Gmail so figured why not use it for a business email? My question is if it's possible to move my current free mailbox to the paid service? Would suck to maintain the two mailboxes, though I guess that would be the better route to go. Would also like to hear about everyone's experiences with it...
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I just started a few websites, and I'm using Google Apps for the free domain mail. Much better to use XXX@domain.com rather than XXX@gmail.com for business purposes.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    Nice! Was it fairly easy to get setup and running?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    My domains came with a few free mailboxes, so I just use that service. I keep one mailbox as a catch-all, so anything sent to anything @ my domain will go to that box.

I haven't had the money to put new hardware into these 2U servers I picked up real cheap, otherwise I would have my own mail system running right now.
  • Options
    I would love to run my own servers, but once you factor in the cost of the server and to upgrade my internet service $50 a year looks pretty good. Not that I trust Google all that much, gotta do what you gotta do sometimes...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Nice! Was it fairly easy to get setup and running?

It was very easy to setup. All I had to do was verify I own the domains by uploading a HTML to my site. After that, just went to my registrar to change the MX records to the ones google specified and I then had e-mail from google via me@mydomain.com.
    I wish I knew about google apps way earlier since I think it's awesome to not have to pay for mail through domain registers.
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We have a client using it and they same happy enough. It's not really the same as Exchange (hosted or otherwise), and probably never will be, but I can't say that it's a bad service. It's solidly decent.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    My friends company is in the process of migrating to Google Apps Business, getting rid of exchange and the office suite. They gotta upgrade to Server 08 (from 03) for AD authentication to integrate with Google apparently though.

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    The State of Iowa has considered this....especially since one of our neighbors, Wyoming, has gone Google. Will save them over $1mil a year apparently.

Wyoming, the first state to go Google! | Wyoming Distance Learning Center
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    My company uses the Apps service and has done so for a few years now. It's pretty easy and can be administered fairly well. Setup was simple as I recall. The only issue we've ever run into is users acclimating to the conversation style email. We've never had any downtime or anything of that nature.

As for maintaining two accounts, I maintain about 5 accounts under 1 gmail account (and can do the same with Apps). I either fetch the mail via POP3 or have it forwarded to my Gmail, then set I've set up "send mail as" which allows me to send mail with a different "return to" address.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I cringe internally when someone hands me a business card with their name@yahoo.com.